HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey's Most Famous Urban Legends

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Lambert Closse

vCash: 500
Hockey's Most Famous Urban Legends

Just for fun, let's review hockey's most famous urban legends, I will begin with two:

1/The Original 6. In understand that there is something special about the 6 oldest teams in the NHL. Call the the BIG 6 if you want, but no the Orginals. The NHL Original 4 from the 1917-18 season were the Montréal Canadiens, Toronto Arenas, Ottawa Senators and Montréal Waderers. So I guess that the Senators are more original than any american teams.

The 1924-25 season was the first with 6 teams: Hamilton Tigers, Toronto St Pats, Montréal Canadiens, Ottawa Senartors, Montréal Maroons and Boston Bruins.

2/The white section in the Bell Centre. Back in the old Forum days, the arenas was divided by 3 almost equal tiers: Red, White and Blue. In the new building, for marketing reason 2/3 of the seatins is now in the more expansive red section. The white section is about 4 or 5 rows that would be considered blue in the old Forum.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:42 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Just for fun, let's review hockey's most famous urban legends, I will begin with two:

1/The Original 6. In understand that there is something special about the 6 oldest teams in the NHL. Call the the BIG 6 if you want, but no the Orginals. The NHL Original 4 from the 1917-18 season were the Montréal Canadiens, Toronto Arenas, Ottawa Senators and Montréal Waderers. So I guess that the Senators are more original than any american teams.

The 1924-25 season was the first with 6 teams: Hamilton Tigers, Toronto St Pats, Montréal Canadiens, Ottawa Senartors, Montréal Maroons and Boston Bruins.

2/The white section in the Bell Centre. Back in the old Forum days, the arenas was divided by 3 almost equal tiers: Red, White and Blue. In the new building, for marketing reason 2/3 of the seatins is now in the more expansive red section. The white section is about 4 or 5 rows that would be considered blue in the old Forum.
To be fair the league wasn't technically the NHL then, it was I believe the NHA. Back when goaltenders were allowed to go down on their knees and things. With the NHL came some different rules but the NHL did basically inherit the NHL squads with a few changes.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:50 AM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
To be fair the league wasn't technically the NHL then, it was I believe the NHA. Back when goaltenders were allowed to go down on their knees and things. With the NHL came some different rules but the NHL did basically inherit the NHL squads with a few changes.
In 1917-18 the league was called the NHL http://nhl.com/hockeyu/history/evolution.html

Old
03-31-2004, 10:58 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
In 1917-18 the league was called the NHL http://nhl.com/hockeyu/history/evolution.html
Well, yeah. The PCL branched off the NHA and basically both were considered NHA leagues (they played each other for the championship). Then the new NHL champs played the PCL champs (NHA in a way) until the PCL finally went under. So yeah in 1917 there were five teams, not four and technically that was the beginning of the NHL but I wouldn't consider that the 'original' either. That would go back to the NHA days before it basically merged into the NHL. Regardless the urban leagend of original six applies to both cases no matter how you look at it.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:41 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
This sounds like more of a fact (and a rather bland one) than an urban legend. An urban legend in hockey might be something like, Mike Gartner actually touched the Stanley Cup once and that's why, despite a great career, never won it.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Daryl Shilling

nha/nhl/pchl/

The NHL is the same thing as the NHA. After the 1917 season, the NHA dissolved and re-organized as the NHL. The exact same crew of people were running the league, short of Toronto Blushirts owner Eddie Livingstone, whom the other owners had wanted to be rid of for several years. He proved extremely difficult to get rid of, the easiest answer: start a league with a new name, of which he wouldn't be a club owner.

The PCHL, on the other hand, never grew from the NHA. Frank and Lester Patrick founded the PCHL in 1911, several years before the NHA changed its name to NHL. The only link between the PCHL and NHA is that the Patricks had each played the 1911 season there. The PCHL was a major league by its own right, but they had nothing to do with the NHA other than challenging their champion for the Stanley Cup.

And yes, the term "Original 6" annoys me, too.

Daryl

Old
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
chicpea*

I recall when I was growing up that the Russians tried to literally steal the Canada Cup one year. This might be an urban legend...Anyone else remember that incident?

Old
03-31-2004, 04:18 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
I recall when I was growing up that the Russians tried to literally steal the Canada Cup one year. This might be an urban legend...Anyone else remember that incident?
No, that's true. I believe they found it at the airport security check.

But hey, the won the thing. They should have been allowed to take it home.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
chicpea*

heh, thanks pecafan. I had a feeling I recalled that properly but you never hear about it any more and I wasn't sure if I'd just imagined it.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:46 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
I guess that the Senators are more original than any American teams.
The original Senators move to St. Louis and folded after one season. The current Senators are a 1992-93 expansion team.

"Original Six" is a term used after the league doubled its size to 12 teams for the 1967-68 season. I could make an argument that the "original" part of "Original Six" refers to a team originally being in the league before 1967-68.

From 1942-43 through 1966-67, 25 seasons, the six NHL franchises were static. The league has never had a longer period void-of-change.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:55 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Wasn't there a Canadiens fan that stole the Stanley Cup from Chicago Stadium during a SCF game between the Blackhawks and the Bruins?
I might have my teams wrong, but I know the guy was caught before he got out of the arena. :win

Old
03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Wasn't there a Canadiens fan that stole the Stanley Cup from Chicago Stadium during a SCF game between the Blackhawks and the Bruins?
I might have my teams wrong, but I know the guy was caught before he got out of the arena. :win
I vaguely recall hearing that too. Can't find it anywhere though.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
I vaguely recall hearing that too. Can't find it anywhere though.

Just heard that recently from Stan Fischler during an intermission report a few weeks ago. Fischler always has old timer clips/stories and this was one of them.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:27 PM
HockeyMan9

Another Urban Legend, the are no fish under the ice, I repeat NO FISH UNDER THE ICE.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:30 PM
PecaFan

But sometimes there's a loonie.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:28 AM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMan9
Another Urban Legend, the are no fish under the ice, I repeat NO FISH UNDER THE ICE.
Apparently when one removes the stickers on the back of their helmets they are prone to violently explode along with the encased head wearing it. Apperently it's the adhesive on the stickers that give the helmet shell it's strength. That is why helmets with the stickers removed are no longer csa approved or are covered by the manafacturer for defects. Shy.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:02 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So I guess that the Senators are more original than any american teams.

Well, I guess that settles it... Canada is better than the US.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
Well, I guess that settles it... Canada is better than the US.
Somebody's insecure...

Old
04-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMan9
There was during the outdoor Heritage Classic game this year in Edmonton.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

URBAN LEGEND

!) Has to be a popularly held belief
2) Has to be somewhat incorrect
3) Has to be somewhat more interesting than the colour of one's seat.

"Howie Morenz died of a broken heart" kind of thing. (when he broke his leg so bad he could never play hockey again). Bobby Orr scored his 1970 Cup winning goal while in mid air. It was technically in the next season because the puck was in the net before he left his feet (tripped UP). Jacques Plante was the first to wear a mask. Eddie Cheevers really would have had all those stitches. Removing the instigator rule would clean up the game. The 1999 playoffs are over. Rocket Richards eyes glowed in the dark...

Old
04-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

"X" prospect is the next "Y" superstar.

Closed Thread