HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Klepis Heads To Europe

Old
12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
gocaps8

vCash: 500
Klepis Heads To Europe

Jakub Klepis has decided to return overseas to continue his career leaving Hershey.

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...bears_blog.php

gocaps8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Damn

He accually was having a good year in Hershey so far.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
The Viking Fury

peace out ****er

ciernik part 2. The caps probably shoulda kept Grier looing back haha

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
sk84fun_dc

Dec 1 was the RFA signing deadline so no surprise he is heading back to Europe

sk84fun_dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
broad

So we still have his rights, right?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna View Post
So we still have his rights, right?
yes

Old
12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
txpd

He was in a fight last night. Maybe that was the last straw.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
He was in a fight last night. Maybe that was the last straw.

?

Klepis in his own words, as reported by the media earlier this season, was hoping for a trade to be worked out and for an opportunity with another NHL organization; that trade didn't happen and he was playing on a PTO (25 games I believe and he had played 19) in the AHL; he was going to have to sign an AHL contract, another PTO or leave; if he wanted to play in the AHL, he could have signed his QO this summer and would have had a two-way contract as had been offered.

The decision to leave and go to Europe was announced on December 2, the day after the last day to sign an RFA to an NHL contract (per the CBA); while it could be coincidence, seems the logical explanation to me; he had discussed in the earlier interviews he would consider the option of returning to Europe (he got married this past summer, too, and based on his reports, his wife was still back in the Czech Rep)

For all the knocks he takes, I give him credit for showing up at camp without a contract and for giving it a shot in Hershey; still, I'm not surprised that a deal did not materialize and that he is headed back to Europe.

(addn: just listened to the 2nd intermission with Leone and Walton, as well as Walton's pregame; they sound a bit surprised that Klepis left, thought he might stick around for the season, but also commented on his wife not being with him, more money short-term possible in Europe, etc.; they don't know any specifics other than back to Europe; from what Walton said, he told his teammates earlier today; about being surprised, I would be surprised if they knew about the RFA Dec 1 rule; sidenote: the AHL works quickly on a Sunday, he's already off the Bears roster and listed as released from his PTO; Leone mentions Gordon...my thoughts, although deep on paper at RW, with Barney struggling and Klepis gone, this might free up a roster slot for Andrew Gordon (4 games in a row with a goal with SC) to get called back up)

FWIW, I watched the fight and then read about it this morning, he held his own and it is not like he fought Bonvie, he fought McLean Actually entertaining reading his description of the sequence of events in Leone's write-up. He also played well last night.

"I didn't want to fight the guy," Klepis said. "He dropped his gloves and jumped me. I didn't want to just look like a little guy, so I dropped them, too. It wasn't really a big fight. I think I hit him once pretty good. That was it. Then I pulled the jersey a little bit."

"McLean got a game misconduct because his jersey wasn't tied down. Klepis admitted his wasn't, either."

link

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 12-02-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old
12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Called that one....oh I don't know...3+ years ago.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 05:58 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Called that one....oh I don't know...3+ years ago.
I thought you'd pull out the dancing banana

Old
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

I take that back Leone did report about the Dec 1 rule in his blog entry before the game; I didn't hear him mention it during the intermission interview combined with the surprise expressed I assumed he didn't know.

Old
12-02-2007, 11:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

interesting info from Leone, so Klepis was considering signing an AHL contract...

""As of [Saturday], it was his intention to sign a [full-season] contract with us this Monday," Bears president-GM Doug Yingst said...."Klepper came in ready to play the game and decided he would leave and take this European opportunity and have the opportunity to play in the World Cup."

..."For the last couple days I didn't sleep, even in the night," Klepis said. "... "Going back to Europe, it's got pluses and minuses. Staying here has pluses and minuses, too. I'm just going to try to reach my goal and get back to the NHL next year."

..."It's not about money," Klepis said. "If it was about money, I would go to Russia, for sure...."

"I just want to play hockey, enjoy it again, start over again. I love Hershey, love the team. I love everything about Hershey. It's just the way I was treated by Washington; I wasn't happy about it."

link

Old
12-02-2007, 11:54 PM
The Viking Fury

The way he was treated by washington? Other than disappointment from him not living up to the expectations that come with his draft position, how could he have been mistreated here?

Newsflash dingus, quitting your team isn't the way to make you attractive to teams in north america who might bring you to the bigs.

Old
12-03-2007, 12:06 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
The way he was treated by washington? Other than disappointment from him not living up to the expectations that come with his draft position, how could he have been mistreated here?

Newsflash dingus, quitting your team isn't the way to make you attractive to teams in north america who might bring you to the bigs.

Is it really that hard to fathom with McPhee at the helm?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 12:14 AM
The Viking Fury

Mcphee was allegedly in love with the kid. I read somewhere that he wasn't planning on trading grier but jumped at the chance when Klepis was dangled.

Old
12-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
How did Washington not treat him well? He wasn't good enough to make the team.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Major

How did Washington not treat him well? He wasn't good enough to make the team.

And that is saying something with this team....

Major is offline   Reply With Quote