HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just Built My Own Rink

Old
12-02-2007, 12:47 AM
dabid

vCash: 500
The bog down the road doesn't usually freeze till like January, actually I'm not even sure if theres any water in it.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 02:27 AM
dre2112

There's outdoor rinks all over Montreal

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The ice N go will take up to 9" out of level! there was a template included in the paper work to make the support forms. It was also coverd in the instruction book AND video that came with the kit. With twine and a line level you can get it all set, stuff straw under the lifted sections, between the support forms. I used the foam backing insulation for vinyl siding, glued two panels together and cut out the forms from hte template.
I got my kit used from a yard sale and I'm starting to doubt if it's a true Ice-N-Go rink.
I just set it up on my concrete patio and it was a disaster too. I used a string level to see how level the patio was and it was off a 1/4 inch according to the level. This resulted in the water to pour off the one end. And the whole area was no more than 20x20.
I was very disappointed to say the least.
So I'm done farting around with this.
I bought some 2x12's and will be building the frame this week.
But this time, when I measured my lawn for build I did the proper measurements. The rink will be 20x30 and when I used the string level it was pretty off. So off in fact, that I need to raise the back end at least 7".
My 4 year olds been dying to get on the rink so I need to build it quick. At least it's been mild today so I can use that excuse of why he can't skate yet - not because his dad's an engineering moron that can barely fix a sandwich.

Thanks for the link Bingo! I'm drooling over some of the pics as I'm typing this.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
.....At least it's been mild today so I can use that excuse of why he can't skate yet - not because his dad's an engineering moron that can barely fix a sandwich. .....
I've got to get my husband to read this. You'd think making ice would be so simple - yet every year there's a good dose of fist shaking and swearing that goes with the project.

The good news is, it doesn't matter if you're an 'engineering moron' () or not, your boy's still going to think you're a hero when he puts on his skates for his first lap around your rink!

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by javorka View Post
I've got to get my husband to read this. You'd think making ice would be so simple - yet every year there's a good dose of fist shaking and swearing that goes with the project.

The good news is, it doesn't matter if you're an 'engineering moron' () or not, your boy's still going to think you're a hero when he puts on his skates for his first lap around your rink!
LOL. I hope so.

And I had to laugh at the 'swearing and fist shaking'. I was the Wayne Gretzky of swearing and fist shaking this weekend. I think the entire neighbourhoods air turned blue from my rantings.

Old
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

*sigh*

I'm so jealous of the outdoor rinks, especially the ones in the backyard. We'd be lucky to even get a night or two below freezing here, as the average low lately is about 45F (7.2C). Blah, even if it got below freezing more often it wouldn't matter. The only outdoor rink we have is in downtown for Christmas in the park, and I don't think they'd like it if I came out in hockey gear and started shooting pucks

So, so envious of your cold weather folk.

Although shoveling snow isn't any fun, so I suppose I'm somewhat grateful.

If I had the dough, I would look into the artificial rinks. I know its expensive, but its all year round and pretty much the only solution for us warm weather folk.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
javorka

Quote:
LOL. I hope so.

And I had to laugh at the 'swearing and fist shaking'. I was the Wayne Gretzky of swearing and fist shaking this weekend. I think the entire neighbourhoods air turned blue from my rantings.
The first couple days are always the worst. We had a cat come in and do some ground work for us a couple years ago so the slope where the rink is went from 10" to about 2", but it's still enough that it takes a few floods before the water quits running away....

Old
12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Dad informed us that he's not doing a rink this year.

So, my two brothers have started doing it. We're playing over Christmas if my dad likes it or NOT! It's a tradition already. We go out before we open presents and play 2on2.

12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
*sigh* I'm so jealous of the outdoor rinks, especially the ones in the backyard. We'd be lucky to even get a night or two below freezing here, as the average low lately is about 45F (7.2C). Blah, even if it got below freezing more often it wouldn't matter. The only outdoor rink we have is in downtown for Christmas in the park, and I don't think they'd like it if I came out in hockey gear and started shooting pucks

So, so envious of your cold weather folk.

Although shoveling snow isn't any fun, so I suppose I'm somewhat grateful...
Yeah, we're pretty lucky. And to be honest, I don't mind shovelling snow - it's a great workout. Even do the rink (about 40 x 80) by hand, usually. Not so fun if the wind is blowing, though. That's when my husband brings out the snow blower.

Old
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

What sizes does everyone have?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
What sizes does everyone have?
My rink will be approx 20x30 when completed.

Old
12-04-2007, 11:09 PM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBostonFan View Post
Looking forward to pics. I put up the IceNgo for a few years but the weather has not been cooperative the past two years. Looking again this year, but I need to come up with a better plan as I have about a 14" drop from one end to the other. Our rink is about 30x50.
I have at least that much slope on one side of the rink. It should be fine. I spoke to the owner of the co. when I called with questions, and he was more than helpful. I had hoped to level it out but couldn't get to it this year. I will definately get at it next spring, and maybe make it a little bit larger with some higher end boards.

Christmas day skateshould be fun, hopefully the weather cooperates.

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
I have at least that much slope on one side of the rink. It should be fine. I spoke to the owner of the co. when I called with questions, and he was more than helpful. I had hoped to level it out but couldn't get to it this year. I will definately get at it next spring, and maybe make it a little bit larger with some higher end boards.

Christmas day skateshould be fun, hopefully the weather cooperates.
How on earth can you guys get an IceNGo rink kit to work with such a severe drop?
I tried to build mine on my backyard cement patio and it was only 3" difference and the water raced off the back-end.
From 2 seasons of trying to get this kit to work, it seems like you can only be off a 1" max. Both times it's been a disaster for me to the point where I just tossed it all and bought 2x12's and some greenhouse 4mm plastic.

Old
12-05-2007, 08:17 AM
BINGO

I used the nicerink product...not sure what the icengo is....

check out the link in my original post. I can also fwd you the catalog that I was sent via email...pretty cool to say the least.

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
NewBostonFan

Quote:
How on earth can you guys get an IceNGo rink kit to work with such a severe drop?
I tried to build mine on my backyard cement patio and it was only 3" difference and the water raced off the back-end.
From 2 seasons of trying to get this kit to work, it seems like you can only be off a 1" max. Both times it's been a disaster for me to the point where I just tossed it all and bought 2x12's and some greenhouse 4mm plastic.

You need to prop it up somehow. I used the diagram they included with the set to cut supports out of foam. Mine was over 12 inches and it worked out ok, but not great. It will work great for your rink. If I do it again this year, I may switch to plywood boards. I wanted to avoid that because I really didn't want to have to store them over the summer. I will likely have a 12-16" drop from end to end.

For a small patio, it should be very easy. Buy longer peices of pvc pipe rather than the short peices they include (cheap) and put them up on something. Buy bags of mulch or top soil that you will use in the spring etc. My rink is 30x60 so that won't really work for me. It is certainly a pain. I did it for two years and then took three off. Now my daughter is playing and so is the little neighbor kid so I think I might give it a go again. This time I will get the neighbors to help out.

Has anyone tried to put a center ice pic in the ice. I was thinking of adding a college logo cut out of paper and freeze it a couple of inches under the surface. Think it will attract sun and melt the ice two inches down? If so, I will skip it. Would love to have a big Spartan S at center ice. Once we commit, might as well go all the way. I already have the resurfacer, halogen lights and fire pit. Just need some benches and off we go. Last few winters here in Detroit have been really bad for rinks. Wonder what we will get this year.

NewBostonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:36 AM
leftofcenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1datsyuk3* View Post
Pretty cool, my house is under renovation so I got the extra wood planks that were ripped off the house and made a rink out of them that is 60 feet x 40 feet. It's only about 2 feet high all around but whatever good enough to practice shooting and skating, just need to lay a tarp down over it and i am set
Here's an idea from the posts - start a thread with pics of your rink and invite others to do the same...I'd start but I got nothing but rain and wind here...

leftofcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
You need to prop it up somehow. I used the diagram they included with the set to cut supports out of foam. Mine was over 12 inches and it worked out ok, but not great. It will work great for your rink. If I do it again this year, I may switch to plywood boards. I wanted to avoid that because I really didn't want to have to store them over the summer. I will likely have a 12-16" drop from end to end.

For a small patio, it should be very easy. Buy longer peices of pvc pipe rather than the short peices they include (cheap) and put them up on something. Buy bags of mulch or top soil that you will use in the spring etc. My rink is 30x60 so that won't really work for me. It is certainly a pain. I did it for two years and then took three off. Now my daughter is playing and so is the little neighbor kid so I think I might give it a go again. This time I will get the neighbors to help out.

Has anyone tried to put a center ice pic in the ice. I was thinking of adding a college logo cut out of paper and freeze it a couple of inches under the surface. Think it will attract sun and melt the ice two inches down? If so, I will skip it. Would love to have a big Spartan S at center ice. Once we commit, might as well go all the way. I already have the resurfacer, halogen lights and fire pit. Just need some benches and off we go. Last few winters here in Detroit have been really bad for rinks. Wonder what we will get this year.
I had read about using hard insulation pads to prop it up. I might still do that. Not sure. Part of me wants to try that and take back the wood. It would certainly be cheaper. But part of me says "It won't work either. Just do it the more secure way".

Old
12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
javorka

Quote:
.....If I do it again this year, I may switch to plywood boards. I wanted to avoid that because I really didn't want to have to store them over the summer....

.....I already have the resurfacer, halogen lights and fire pit. Just need some benches and off we go.....
We put up plywood boards at each end a couple years ago because the boys were loosing so many pucks. We kept them up over the summer (couldn't convince my husband that they didn't look that great) but they're not too bad. Weathered a little and warped a bit, but they still do the job. Fortunately we're in the country so space isn't an issue, and we don't have neighbors complaining about an 'eye-sore'.

Talking about a resurfacer, there was a guy featured on the local news last year who made his own zamboni. It was so cool! Took a JD lawn tractor and built his own ice scraper/resurfacer attachment. I'd love to get one for my husband if I could. It would be his best Christmas present ever, I think!

Last edited by javorka: 12-05-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old
12-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Our rink is 60 by 120 feet.

We have an open lot behind us and we live on an acerage and have the boards and what not set up. My brothers are watering it and taking care of it as we speak. We WILL have a rink by Christmas. They're doing the lines today and setting up the "glass" (meaning puck nets) and then setting up the lights tomorrow.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Hank19*

Man am I kicking myself now. It's been -9 the last week. If I had simply built a rink using boards and new plastic last weekend I would have had at least 5 days of skating with my son.

Now I look at the forecast and after this weekend we're expecting above freezing temperatures all next week. I hope they're wrong.

What sucks is I have no time during the week to build it. By the time I get home it's pitch black outside and I'd like to spend the night with my boys before they go to bed.
I'll have to rig a rink up this Saturday.

Old
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
McNasty

Reading this thread makes me seriously question why I live in the states....

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl
Our rink is 60 by 120 feet.
We have an open lot behind us and we live on an acerage and have the boards and what not set up. My brothers are watering it and taking care of it as we speak. We WILL have a rink by Christmas. They're doing the lines today and setting up the "glass" (meaning puck nets) and then setting up the lights tomorrow.
Wow that sounds awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19
Man am I kicking myself now. It's been -9 the last week. If I had simply built a rink using boards and new plastic last weekend I would have had at least 5 days of skating with my son.

Now I look at the forecast and after this weekend we're expecting above freezing temperatures all next week. I hope they're wrong.

What sucks is I have no time during the week to build it. By the time I get home it's pitch black outside and I'd like to spend the night with my boys before they go to bed.
I'll have to rig a rink up this Saturday.
I haven't gotten around mine yet either
And this weekend it's either miss my son's game or put up the rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Some parts of the US are just as cold as here.
Remember, the first country you enter when you travel south from Detroit is Canada

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
NewBostonFan

What are you guys using to hold up the plywood sides. My rink will have 4x8 sheets at the ends and the sides will run from 12" to 24" high to handle the slope. I know nicerink has some neat plastic brackets, but I really dont want to invest the money in it. The kids are getting bigger but the yard is not. I don't think wood stakes will do the job, especially at the deep end. Any ideas?

NewBostonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
javorka

Quote:
What are you guys using to hold up the plywood sides. My rink will have 4x8 sheets at the ends and the sides will run from 12" to 24" high to handle the slope. I know nicerink has some neat plastic brackets, but I really dont want to invest the money in it. The kids are getting bigger but the yard is not. I don't think wood stakes will do the job, especially at the deep end. Any ideas?
We used 4" treated fence posts - the kind you use for a barb-wire fence. (3" ones would probably work, but these were what we had on hand.) Nailed 2x6s on those, then attached the plywood.
The boards are very sturdy and are still in pretty good shape, but knowing what we know now, the 2x6s should have been nailed at the very top and bottom of the posts as this likely would have helped keep the plywood from warping a bit better. Of course removing the plywood over the summer would have helped, too...

Old
12-06-2007, 08:58 PM
welcomebackwinnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Move to Winnipeg. It's ****ing sweet. Rinks were out late November, and that was late for us.

welcomebackwinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote