HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boudreau's moves

Old
11-29-2007, 12:47 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I've been wondering what a Pettinger + Eminger combo could land.
Somebody else's underperforming, needs a change of scenery problem player. Pettinger is in the Bates Battaglia catagory right now and Eminger is a scratch.

Eminger might have some value as Green, Morrisonn, Schultz and Jurcina would probably be able to play on most NHL teams.....I mean one at a time. Same with Eminger. Eminger's slow developement has him at the bottom of that list where he should be at the top of it.

A team with some defense injuries might well want him. Maybe not though.

Can you think of someone else's disappointment that you would want?

Willsie? Sorry..couldn't let it pass

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Pettinger needs to sit a game
I think last night proved he needs to sit more than one. But don't expect it with the 'ankle' and the mysterious clark injuries.

I regards to other's postings about Brooks. I've always liked that guy. Over the past two years people always left him off their projected roster and I'd add, when I felt like posting, don't forget about Brooks. We talk about how Gordo and Steckel made Suts expendable but Brooks paid a huge role in that too. He's got decent speed, decent skill, and plays wing and center. Very versatile player. A must for this organization.

My comments on not liking the Laich-Steckel-Gordon line are two fold. They as a unit have provided jack squat as an offensive threat. That inadequacy is hightened by our lack of production from the 2nd line. Plus as a shutdown line I'm iffy. There are times when they get owned in their own end. I think it was the Buffalo game that the entire first minute of the game was in our end and they missed two or three chances to get the puck out. Their grinding in the o-zone is adequate, as it keeps the puck out of your end, but hasn't really led to many penalties or scoring chances. Steckel's into the screened goalie shot yesterday was the only one from yesterday that I can recall. And I think that came off a mixed line due to a line change and not necessarily these three working together.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Roccoman

spot on HimShootHimScore on both assessments (laich & checking line)

i have been a Brooks supporter for a few years now, and i still think he has room to grow his game

one nice thing is that this checking line is young & cheap, and *should* get better (individually & collectively) over the next several season

just popped into my head: try Petty out on AOs line at some point before we give up on him

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
txpd

Just a thought on Clark, he missed several games after his ear injury with what sounded like post concussion syndrome symptoms. He said there was no concussion at the time.

Then he disappears from the end of game without notice and now is "iffy" for the next two games with an unknown and apparantly non-visable injury. If its concussion related, some contact could have resulted in dizzyness or something and that would explain it. its just a guess but it fits evidence.

Old
11-29-2007, 02:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
for me Johnson doesnt just get a total pass on letting in 4 goals in less than 5 minutes (on 7 shots)....its not like all 4 were some amazing plays that he had no chance on

No he doesn't get a total pass, but any soft goals he might have let in, were once the game was already out of hand....if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I think Johnson has played better this year than any previous years in DC.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Just a thought on Clark, he missed several games after his ear injury with what sounded like post concussion syndrome symptoms. He said there was no concussion at the time.

Then he disappears from the end of game without notice and now is "iffy" for the next two games with an unknown and apparantly non-visable injury. If its concussion related, some contact could have resulted in dizzyness or something and that would explain it. its just a guess but it fits evidence.
I was thinking the same thing.

Sometimes you just can't catch a break.

Old
11-29-2007, 02:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
No he doesn't get a total pass, but any soft goals he might have let in, were once the game was already out of hand....if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I think Johnson has played better this year than any previous years in DC.
Sadly I agree. Maybe he'll earn a nice 6-year deal from McPhee this offseason!

Old
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post

we agree the team blew it but he let up 4 goals in about 4:30 minutes late in the second. Caps were up 1-0 then down by 3. If memory serves me one of the first 3 was one he would want back but the one with less than a minnute inthe period was flat out soft....putting them down by 3 with about 20 seconds left in the 2nd period......they had no chance after that

the game got out of hand in the blink of an eye

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Johsnson has played pretty good this year. It must be hard to get into a grove when you only play once every 7 games.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
txpd

Quote:
we agree the team blew it but he let up 4 goals in about 4:30 minutes late in the second. Caps were up 1-0 then down by 3. If memory serves me one of the first 3 was one he would want back but the one with less than a minnute inthe period was flat out soft....putting them down by 3 with about 20 seconds left in the 2nd period......they had no chance after that

I think you still need to take the entire picture of that game into context. The guy was target practice. You just can't take a guy that is under seige and finally gives up the ghost like you would a guy that has seen an average number of shots against.

In general giving up 4 goals in 40 shots is much harder than giving up 2 goals on 20 shots, yet its the same sv %. I didnt see the game in Buffalo, but it sounds to me like he stood on his head for a very long time and finally unravelled under the pressure. 50+ shots is hard for a starting goalie. It must be much harder for a backup that doesnt play regularly. Particularly in terms of game shape. Maybe he finally just ran out of gas.

I think thru all this we are still not acknowledging the three games where he gave up 1, 1, and 2 goals in regulation. Those should be three wins. he would be 3-3. The basic premise has been he is 1-5 because he sucks.

Old
11-29-2007, 10:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

This is a team game and he wasn't out there alone, although it seemed like it at times.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 05:44 AM
dbui72

Quote:
didnt he fold up in the Buffalo game and let in a couple questionable goals ina very short period?

You like to point to stats as the proof to support some positions, and IMO it doesnt work all the time. A goalie can stop 40 shots, let in 2 soft goals, and in my mind he played poorly. This reminds me of your position on 55 after the Flyers game. You pointed to his ice time and made a comment about how BB clearly didnt think he played that badly.....but he was in the stands the next game
Talk about softies, you look at Olie. Yeah he is the best we got, but he did not get Softie Olie or Five Hole Olie for nothing.

He is an average goalie at this point in his career. There was a span I posted a while back of his horrendus streak last year.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'm really interested in watching the next few games now that BB has time to implement a more aggressive system. I'll be paying attention to the Dmen plays as Tarik mentions that BB's system calls for them to be playing more up the ice.

Increased specialty teams play, minimizing turnovers at the blue line, more aggressive forechecking, and D to O transitioning. If BB can accomplish this much over the course of the season I'll be happy whether or not he's the long term guy.

Too much to ask??? Probably.

Quote:
Update:The majority of today's practice was spent working on implementing and fine tuning Boudreau's forechecking system. As you've seen the past six games, it's more aggressive. But it's also considerably different from what the Caps had been using, particularly for the defrensemen, who are asked to play further up in the neutral zone. It's especially tough for the guys who didn't spend any time with Broudreau in Hershey.

You can bet the rest of the week will be spent working on getting everyone comfortable with their new responsibilities

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Old
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
The Viking Fury

well according to BTCG this system should already have been implemented and in full swing by now

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
HockeyCritter

I thought you could see part of the new "system" in game against the Panthers (the home game) --- while the team looked out of sorts in the first period - it was like the light went on in their heads in the second and third and their playing style looked completely different.

It will be quite interesting to see what it looks like after four days of solid practice.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote