HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you pull the trigger on a Nylander trade

Old
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
No. Let's face it, the Jagr era is drawing to a close soon. It might happen at the end of this season (especially if he doesn't hit the triggers to activate next year's option) and it will most certainly end with the following season. It's just silliness at this point to take steps back or try to revisit the past.

Drury and Gomez were signed because they have the age and ability to be effective now (with Jagr supposedly) and also in the future without Jagr. If anything, Jagr has become the square peg in the round hole. He has not evolved with the team, and that's not necessarily his obligation or his fault, but it is becoming the truth. We were a heavily European team, both in personnel and style, just a few seasons ago. However, we have steadily moved towards a hybrid/NA style over the last 3 seasons and the signings of Shanahan, Drury and Gomez reflect that. The promotions of Callahan, Dawes, Staal and Girardi reflect our needs and desired characteristics. The trade for Avery was a statement to the team, the fan base and the league that we are changing our style.

At this point in our progress (yes, progress) it would be counterproductive and fleeting to bring back Nylander. It would only hamper our efforts to evolve the team. The horrendous contract is merely secondary and also comforting: If this was pre-cap era, I'd be concerned that the team would consider this trade for yet another former Ranger. Cap Era... no chance.

That's not to say I don't like European hockey or that style. It's just that that style of play is fading as our primary focus. I look forward to Anisimov and Cherepanov providing some skill and flare that will compliment our North/South game.

The days of the Rangers selling the future for 'success now' are over. Instead of prospects, we would be selling our future cap space for nostalgia. Let's hang on, let our offseason moves flesh out and see where we are come trade deadline. You might like those cap dollars when we are landing an elite winger and defenseman with Jagr's, Shanny's, Straka's, Malik's and Mara's salaries. $5m on a retired center won't help pay those bills.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
broadwayblue

Didn't actually read any of this thread...but in answer to the title, NO. Why can't people just move on??????

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Didn't actually read any of this thread...but in answer to the title, NO. Why can't people just move on??????
+1.

Don't need the ballet dancer back for an encore.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
No. Let's face it, the Jagr era is drawing to a close soon. It might happen at the end of this season (especially if he doesn't hit the triggers to activate next year's option) and it will most certainly end with the following season. It's just silliness at this point to take steps back or try to revisit the past.

Drury and Gomez were signed because they have the age and ability to be effective now (with Jagr supposedly) and also in the future without Jagr. If anything, Jagr has become the square peg in the round hole. He has not evolved with the team, and that's not necessarily his obligation or his fault, but it is becoming the truth. We were a heavily European team, both in personnel and style, just a few seasons ago. However, we have steadily moved towards a hybrid/NA style over the last 3 seasons and the signings of Shanahan, Drury and Gomez reflect that. The promotions of Callahan, Dawes, Staal and Girardi reflect our needs and desired characteristics. The trade for Avery was a statement to the team, the fan base and the league that we are changing our style.

At this point in our progress (yes, progress) it would be counterproductive and fleeting to bring back Nylander. It would only hamper our efforts to evolve the team. The horrendous contract is merely secondary and also comforting: If this was pre-cap era, I'd be concerned that the team would consider this trade for yet another former Ranger. Cap Era... no chance.

That's not to say I don't like European hockey or that style. It's just that that style of play is fading as our primary focus. I look forward to Anisimov and Cherepanov providing some skill and flare that will compliment our North/South game.

The days of the Rangers selling the future for 'success now' are over. Instead of prospects, we would be selling our future cap space for nostalgia. Let's hang on, let our offseason moves flesh out and see where we are come trade deadline. You might like those cap dollars when we are landing an elite winger and defenseman with Jagr's, Shanny's, Straka's, Malik's and Mara's salaries. $5m on a retired center won't help pay those bills.
Very good post. Sums up how i feel perfectly.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 04:51 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I was a bit surprised and certainly disappointed when he was not resigned
And it is so far - reagarding this year - a mistake by not signing him earlier when he was up for a deal for 3 years at 4,5. ?That woul have worked and I know he would have accepted.
But would have is just that
Would have
Slats did not pull he deal
He signed Drury & Gomez instead.
For a high price it might seem now
But a bit own the line - it may very well work out for the best
Cuz the deal Nylander got in Washington is not at all beneficial for New York
4 years is at least one too many
So - we got what we got & gotta live with it
I think we might be happy about all this one day
But to take him back now - with his current contract - from Wash is just not realistic
Even if it would have been nice - for a while

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 08:13 AM
swissfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Dubi is playing just fine with Jagr.

Well if his numbers of 2 goals and 3 assists are just fine, then King Henrik had better be in all his finest royal majesty all season because that my friend is not just fine.

As for Greedlander let him rot in Washington in last place. Guy had an ego bigger than Scandinavia combined.

swissfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Nylander is putting up decent numbers playing with Ovy, but for the year is a -12 !!! It's quite obvious he needs a solid defensive unit behind him, something that it seems Washington does not have.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Maybe...

Maybe 2 weeks ago...When the O looked lifeless. But not now. Or depends who the want.[/url[/IMG]

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaveho94 View Post
Maybe 2 weeks ago...When the O looked lifeless. But not now. Or depends who the want.[/url[/IMG]

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Choice

I admit, we miss Nylander a lot. But I wouldn't trade for him. The only deal I would consider would be Drury for Nylander straight up, but obviously that won't happen.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:53 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Gomez will prove to be the better long term investment once Jagr is gone.

Renney lets Jagr run the team the way he wants to. Once Jagr is gone, and this team is ran the way it should be, you'll see why Gomez is the better fit. Some winger, whether it's Prucha (if he's still here) or Cherepanov will reap the rewards of having a top-flight playmaker as his center.

Nylander would be getting paid 5 mill plus a year until he's 39, it wouldn't be worth it. We *****ed and complained enough about him and that entire top line not shooting the puck last year and the year before. I guess people forget these things easily when things aren't going well.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Escudero

Send a message via AIM to Escudero
if you're going to trade for nylander, just trade for nicklas backstrom. he pretty much is nylander except he's 19

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

If Nylander was signed to a 1 or 2 year deal with the caps I would really love to try to get him back, but 4 years? Not a chance. That ship has sailed and we must move on.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote