HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

roll in a snapshot?

Old
12-04-2007, 03:38 AM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
roll in a snapshot?

I started posting in another thread, but the other one might be old....so, was just wanting some help with my snapshot....I try to hit the puck a couple of inches behind the puck, at about heel to mid-blade, then snap my wrists, but the puck doesn't lift off to wear I'm aiming my stick...it just passes along the ice.

I can do a wristshot fine, and adjust the height to wherever, and primarily roll it off the toe of my blade.

Am I meant to roll the puck to the top in a snapshot too? I've watched others, and no one else seems to (or maybe they're too fast for me to see), and it seems difficult to coordinate it all in a fast shot!

Hope there's some tips.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
fourofakindfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I started posting in another thread, but the other one might be old....so, was just wanting some help with my snapshot....I try to hit the puck a couple of inches behind the puck, at about heel to mid-blade, then snap my wrists, but the puck doesn't lift off to wear I'm aiming my stick...it just passes along the ice.

I can do a wristshot fine, and adjust the height to wherever, and primarily roll it off the toe of my blade.

Am I meant to roll the puck to the top in a snapshot too? I've watched others, and no one else seems to (or maybe they're too fast for me to see), and it seems difficult to coordinate it all in a fast shot!

Hope there's some tips.
Sounds like you're doing it right, but just don't worry about "aiming" your stick to try and control where the puck is going. Keep your lower hand with the knuckles pointing down towards the ice before the shot, then as you shoot the puck snap it upwards so that your palm is facing towards the ceiling. Don't try to aim your stick to determine where the puck is going, just work on the motion and you will be able to gauge the accuracy based on how much you snap your wrists.

My snap shot isn't great from far out, but it is really effective in close. Also you can try doing like a half slap/half wrister type shot where you keep your stick blade about 6 inches to a foot behind the puck before you shoot, then just drag the blade a long the ice quickly and explode into the puck with a nice follow through. Its a really good shot for when you don't have time to wind up for a slapper.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
stick9

Quote:

Hope there's some tips.
Sounds like you aren't following thru correctly.

IMO, you should be aiming your stick/shot. What good is having a killer shot if you can't control it...

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Try snapping it with the mid-blade to toe instead of the heel, your not gonna get any height by using the heel.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:24 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils9789 View Post
Try snapping it with the mid-blade to toe instead of the heel, your not gonna get any height by using the heel.

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Jake1999

do you snap your top hand so the but hits your belly when you shoot? that can get more power and more velocity on the puck.

Jake1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1999 View Post
do you snap your top hand so the but hits your belly when you shoot? that can get more power and more velocity on the puck.
hmmm, perhaps not to my belly - I'll try that a bit more.

Quote:
I did try going further up toe - but i think consequently I've put a crack in the neck of the blade now from the way I was hitting the ice

Old
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
SSM12

I use the same roll as a wrister, just push it a little off the blade then "snap" it with the same motion I would a wrister. Works for me

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:09 AM
vexXed

I have a problem with taking snap shots, in that they are just pretty flimsy and weak for some reason. My slapshot is fine, pretty heavy and I can beat goalies on brute force alone. My wrister is average but when taking a snapshot the puck just seems to float towards the net. I have no trouble lifting it but I just don't understand why there is hardly any power behind it. I thought if somone had a decent slapper then his snapshot would be pretty good too, but it isn't the case for me. Any help on this?

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:40 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
I have a problem with taking snap shots, in that they are just pretty flimsy and weak for some reason. My slapshot is fine, pretty heavy and I can beat goalies on brute force alone. My wrister is average but when taking a snapshot the puck just seems to float towards the net. I have no trouble lifting it but I just don't understand why there is hardly any power behind it. I thought if somone had a decent slapper then his snapshot would be pretty good too, but it isn't the case for me. Any help on this?
People with real hard snapshots have ridiculously strong wrists and forearms. But make sure you are following through as you would with any shot. A lot of people tend to let off on things like the follow through or even weight transfer during a snap shot cause they think it's 100% wrists/forearms. While that is the majority of it, if you lack superior strength in these areas, it will make a huge difference if that's the only thing you're using in the shot.

Just reminds me of my last game, I had a breakaway with a D man closing in on my and he was just about to angle me off from the inside, so I was forced to take a quick snap shot. Got the shot off too quickly to realize the puck was on edge. Snap shot + sakic curve + puck on edge = scuff on the glass But I still love that shot, so useful at times like the stated (goalie was 100% certain I was going to the backhand cause I had no time to get a wrister off, had him beat on situation alone!).

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 01:48 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I love using the snapshot when you have a defenseman closing in on you but you've still got a nice line to the net. Score two tonight just by blasting it by.

I personally find that the reason my snap shot is actually decent is just through pure practice. Grab a bunch of puck and start whipping them at things. Don't try to put all that much weight into it at first, just get the motion down, and keep shooting. As you begin to feel more comfortable and you get more control over where you want it to go.

As for the actual wrist motions, I generally just use my wrist shot motion, but with a much quicker roll. So I actually am snapping my wrists in the wrist shot motion.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
hmmm, perhaps not to my belly - I'll try that a bit more.

I did try going further up toe - but i think consequently I've put a crack in the neck of the blade now from the way I was hitting the ice
hmm, your stick shouldnt really break that easily, even against the ice, maybe your not using the right amount of flex? (unless your using a wood stick, but still) Whats your build?

Old
12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Ulic

Even with a snapshot the puck is lifted off and snapped at the toe of your blade. Hit it with the middle of you blade and let that momentum plus the power of the snap of your wrist carry the puck to the toe and then snapped off the blade at your target.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Phoenix

Quote:
hmm, your stick shouldnt really break that easily, even against the ice, maybe your not using the right amount of flex? (unless your using a wood stick, but still) Whats your build?
My first one that I broke I have no idea what the flex was. It was an intermediate stick that was fairly light and whippy. That one I took a swing in my backyard and cracked it.

THe one I have now is an adult 102flex. There is no complete or obvious crack in it, but I'm fearing that one may be starting cos it "wobbles" on occasion just like my old stick did after I cracked it. I don't think its just rough ice! Both were/are wood sticks. I hope I'm wrong though about the crack cos I don't feel like buying a new stick just yet.

I'm 5'7" average build.

My technique probably just needs more refining - my swing doesn't feel smooth. Sometimes I get it in my backyard, but ever since I broke my other stick, I'm shy about practising against non-ice surfaces (where there's less friction) now.

Old
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
mooseOAK*

Why are you hitting the ice two inches behind the puck? I think that is what you wrote and there is a typo. I have a pretty decent snap shot and I coordinate the snap of the wrist with the moment my blade hits the puck.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
My first one that I broke I have no idea what the flex was. It was an intermediate stick that was fairly light and whippy. That one I took a swing in my backyard and cracked it.

THe one I have now is an adult 102flex. There is no complete or obvious crack in it, but I'm fearing that one may be starting cos it "wobbles" on occasion just like my old stick did after I cracked it. I don't think its just rough ice! Both were/are wood sticks. I hope I'm wrong though about the crack cos I don't feel like buying a new stick just yet.

I'm 5'7" average build.

My technique probably just needs more refining - my swing doesn't feel smooth. Sometimes I get it in my backyard, but ever since I broke my other stick, I'm shy about practising against non-ice surfaces (where there's less friction) now.
Just keep working on strengthening your wrists and forearms. Practice your whole set-up (motion, follow-through). And make sure you get a little low and lean into it.

Old
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Why are you hitting the ice two inches behind the puck? I think that is what you wrote and there is a typo. I have a pretty decent snap shot and I coordinate the snap of the wrist with the moment my blade hits the puck.
It sounds like he's following the "a snap shot is just a slap shot with a shorter windup" school of thought. I hate that. I'm kinda curious where that started.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
No that is basically what I said. You're meant to hit it a little behind the puck to get more flex as far as I was aware.

I was thinking that that could be where I might be having trouble - by the time I snap, I might be only hitting the upper half of the puck.

Old
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
No that is basically what I said. You're meant to hit it a little behind the puck to get more flex as far as I was aware.

I was thinking that that could be where I might be having trouble - by the time I snap, I might be only hitting the upper half of the puck.
The theory surrounding hitting the ice behind the puck on a slap shot is to develop potential energy by flexing the shaft of the stick before you hit the puck for extra power behind the shot.

On a snapshot you aren't bringing your stick back very far and aren't creating the speed necessary to cause the shaft to flex so in effect by hitting the ice behind the puck the blade will slow down and bounce a bit and, as you mention, maybe cause you to mis-hit the puck.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote