HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hollweg-Betts-Orr Appreciation

Old
12-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Hollweg-Betts-Orr Appreciation

Figured it was good time for this thread since they were the dominant Ranger line last night. Have to look for the positives.

I have been a little surprised at how confident Renny plays this line. They really have gelled and become our most stable line. Completely inept at scoring, but they are very sound D wise eh?

They get ice time in clutch situations.

That's Colton Orr out there skating, playing smart sound positional D

Hollweg has been just short of an angel. Playing smart and NOT taking bad penalties(knock on wood)

Betts is....well Betts. Totally underrated d minded reliable Betts

Did anyone catch during the game the other night on MSG they had the bench wired and they kept addressing Colton as "Bobby"?

LOL @ they all call him "Bobby"

Renny, and staff, are damn good coaches.

12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

They played a great game tonight and deserve a .

But really, i'd rather they did not play against the top line of the other team.

But for the most part, they have been good for their roll so good for them, keep it up.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:06 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Makes me nearvous that Renny plays them against the other teams elite players too. I thought maybe he was shopping them(Hollweg) but they have played real well together. He's certainly not afraid to put them on the ice anymore

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Please don't confuse Renney's willingness to play them as the line being sound defensively. They are far from it IMO.

The play gets stuck in our zone a good chunk of the time they are out there. It wears our D down and we get caught scrambling as a result.

Orr's been improving at a good clip, but he needs to get a tad faster and more mobile. He's not able to step into his hits and be a forceful hitter. Just me, but my fourth line winger is putting guys through the glass (old Hollweg) not rubbing them out with no momentum behind the hit.

For now, I don't mind them as a unit. But I definitely would not match them up against the opponent's top lines - something the staff has been doing lately.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Please don't confuse Renney's willingness to play them as the line being sound defensively. They are far from it IMO.

The play gets stuck in our zone a good chunk of the time they are out there. It wears our D down and we get caught scrambling as a result.

Orr's been improving at a good clip, but he needs to get a tad faster and more mobile. He's not able to step into his hits and be a forceful hitter. Just me, but my fourth line winger is putting guys through the glass (old Hollweg) not rubbing them out with no momentum behind the hit.

For now, I don't mind them as a unit. But I definitely would not match them up against the opponent's top lines - something the staff has been doing lately.

actually....the reason that line is so sound defensively is because all they do is chip the puck in....forecheck hard and when they get the puck they make the safe play and dump it back in deep and chase it or throw it on goal......keeping the other team deep in their zone.....they hit and they play very well in the defensive zone.....i am no longer afraid with them out there...they are a solid line

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Colton Orr is this seasons most improoved Ranger and all you haters need to step back and admitt the guy is doing his job. Orr and Betts have been very solid Hollweg seems a bit off buit early on he took some penalities that weren't really smart and he might have just toned down a bit. The Rangers are a tuff team to play against when these 3 are doign their jobs because it means the top 3 lines can roll and play offense and Jagr can be double shifted and mixed in when needed on the 4th.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
actually....the reason that line is so sound defensively is because all they do is chip the puck in....forecheck hard and when they get the puck they make the safe play and dump it back in deep and chase it or throw it on goal......keeping the other team deep in their zone.....they hit and they play very well in the defensive zone.....i am no longer afraid with them out there...they are a solid line
Exactly, they forcheck hard a lot. I love this line, and I'll play em against the other teams 1st, causes some nice mis-matches for our guys. Betts is Betts, you know what you're getting from him, and Orr and Hollweg are playing very well and I think Renney is very pleased with their play as well.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:22 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

That's funny, I guess we see it differently. I actually think they're in the offense zone more than the defensive zone. AT BEST, it's 50/50 and NOT always in our zone.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
That's funny, I guess we see it differently. I actually think they're in the offense zone more than the defensive zone. AT BEST, it's 50/50 and NOT always in our zone.
Agreed completely. They were our only line getting shots in the first period last night!

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:53 AM
segmentation fault
welp

They just need to put pucks in more often than when the net is empty.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Colton Orr is this seasons most improoved Ranger and all you haters need to step back and admitt the guy is doing his job. Orr and Betts have been very solid Hollweg seems a bit off buit early on he took some penalities that weren't really smart and he might have just toned down a bit. The Rangers are a tuff team to play against when these 3 are doign their jobs because it means the top 3 lines can roll and play offense and Jagr can be double shifted and mixed in when needed on the 4th.
Colton Orr has definetely improved and is playing smart and sound hockey but let's not exaggerate with the "very solid"..This line has been playin well defensively for awhile....When it gets into trouble it's becasue of the lack of speed and mobility of Orr in the defensive and neutral zone..It's really the speed and movement of Betts and Hollweg that propel the line except when they are in the offensive zone where Orr's big body and positioning have helped..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Colton Orr is this seasons most improoved Ranger and all you haters need to step back and admitt the guy is doing his job.
Don't you mean "bobby" Orr

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I side with you on this one...The line keeps it simple and, for the most part, away from the defensive zone..But, remember, these are checkers/4th liners sometimes playing against top liners, there will of course be stretches where the other lines control the play in our zone against HBO.. But even then I think HBO has done a good (not great) job of minimizing the dangerous chances and keeping the opposition from scoring...More importantly, it is the HBO lines that expends all this defensive and checking energy, allowing the other Ranger lines to be more fresh for their roles....As long as they do their job defensively, letting HBO play 7-10 minutes a night (not any longer) will benfit the team...

But, like the Big Whistle used to say about Gene Carr, too bad they can't put the puck in the ocean from the end of the pier..

Old
12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
segmentation fault
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Don't you mean "bobby" Orr
Bobby Orrsy

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Nich

i do have to say that Colton has officially passed hollweeg in the depth department. he has really made a couple of real nice actual hockey plays.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 10:47 AM
clmetsfan

There was a story in Newsday on Sunday that dealt with Orr's refusal to fight McGratton. This is what I was talking about the other day; Colton has become much much smarter at picking his fights. He's learned to do it when the team actually needs a spark, not when their opponent does. This is why, while some people want to see him square off in every game, it's really a lot better to choose your battles wisely.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,3050361.story

Quote:
"I said to Colton, that might have been one of the toughest things you've had to do," coach Tom Renney said. "All he wanted to do was go [fight]. But as with our team, and certainly Colton exemplifies that, it's about the team and he did the right thing. He was out there to play hockey and win the game."

Leaving the locker room, Orr was asked how he managed to stay cool. "It was tough ... real tough," he said. But smart.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
There was a story in Newsday on Sunday that dealt with Orr's refusal to fight McGratton. This is what I was talking about the other day; Colton has become much much smarter at picking his fights. He's learned to do it when the team actually needs a spark, not when their opponent does. This is why, while some people want to see him square off in every game, it's really a lot better to choose your battles wisely.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,3050361.story
Though neither is a good player by any stretch of the imagination, I think both ORR and HOLLY have to be commended for changing their game a little to fit what the coach wants out of the line...He wants smart, positionally sound and defensively strong play form this line as they occupy the other team's lines...Renney wants them at the ready, but he really doesn't want that big fight (Orr) or the big hit (Holly) or the penalties..And both guys have modified their game to fit into what the coach and team wants..Sometimes I wish Holly would revert to the Wrecking Ball of Hate he used to be and for Orr to avenge every little thing, but they are doing what their coach has asked..

Old
12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i do have to say that Colton has officially passed hollweeg in the depth department. he has really made a couple of real nice actual hockey plays.....
Not in my eyes...Although Orr is keeping it simple and smart (and kinda slow), I say that only happens if he ever learns how to really skate and change direction...Once Avery comes back, I still think we should see Holly-Betts-Hossa for most games and Orr in for some..OTOH, playing Hossa on the 4th line won't probably change their horrendous offensive production either.--but Renney will go with the PK ability.

Old
12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If Orr & Hollywood can change their games for Renney, how come our "superstar" forwards can't shoot the damn puck when Renney tells them to!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
They've been a very nice surprise. Still would like to see some offensive threat out of them. And I think they play too much when the Rangers are trailing.

12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Nice to see the 4th line getting some respect. Especially Colton Orr.

For the record I'm not looking forward to seeing Hossa on the fourth line with Betts in Hollywood (if that happens).. I'm kind of at my limit with Hossa (again).

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Jackson Ranger

I'm glad to see some props for the fourth line. I thought they played their best game of the year last night. It's also good to see the positive comments such as how well they play positionally. I think the top three lines should take note.

My only comment is I have to laugh at the perception that they should be scoring more. Let's see, two out the three will drop the gloves at any time; all three try and take the body as much as possible and they play an intelligent game. I'll take that and the no scoring over the top three lines, who are supposed to score and are having troubles doing so.

If any line is playing above expectations, it's the HBO line.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Nich

see i think orr is showing more offensive skills, and when hossa plays with him and blair they can get a good cycle game, and plant orr in front of the net.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote