HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Interesting article from the Washington Post

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2004, 05:58 PM
  #1
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Interesting article from the Washington Post

Story was written a week ago, but most of us here don't peruse the Post so it isn't surprising no one referenced it (and if someone did, it likely got lost in the shuffle).
btn, at least, has probably seen this link on "the other site".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Mar23.html

One excerpt from it caught my attention;

"Six defensemen went down in all during that time, and the Thrashers have lost more than 370 man-games because of injury this season. As the problems mounted Waddell made a strong pitch to land defenseman Darryl Sydor and center Steve Sullivan via trades, NHL sources said, but with the team's ownership in transition, he was not granted permission to raise the payroll."

cws is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:38 PM
  #2
GoM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,588
vCash: 500
If Atlanta got Sullivan.....

Seventh Heaven

GoM is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:26 AM
  #3
Pachoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
That could bode very well for the future. I think the new ownership group is more than willing to raise payroll this winter.

Pachoo is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 05:58 AM
  #4
ATLThrashers15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachoo
That could bode very well for the future. I think the new ownership group is more than willing to raise payroll this winter.
Not just raise payroll, but raise payroll wisely. First thing is first, lets get Kovvy and Heater signed. I think Kovvy will get slightly more than Gaborik did at the beginning of this season. Heater will probably get close, but he doesnt have as much bargaining power as Kovvy.

ATLThrashers15 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 11:48 AM
  #5
Hockey Mojo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Suwanee, Georgia
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLThrashers15
Not just raise payroll, but raise payroll wisely. First thing is first, lets get Kovvy and Heater signed.

Kovy and Heater aren't going anywhere, no team is going to sign them knowing what they'll have to give up for years to come! Thrashers can't just focus on two of our top players, must look at the team as a whole. They have to take off their blinders and look at the big picture.

Hockey Mojo is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:03 PM
  #6
ATLThrashers15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
Kovy and Heater aren't going anywhere, no team is going to sign them knowing what they'll have to give up for years to come! Thrashers can't just focus on two of our top players, must look at the team as a whole. They have to take off their blinders and look at the big picture.
Im not talking about other teams getting them, but if you think Waddell is just gonna offer what Kovvy and Heater want, he'd be a bad GM.

ATLThrashers15 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:22 PM
  #7
Hockey Mojo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Suwanee, Georgia
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
With the CBA up in the air and the likelihood of no NHL hockey next year, DW will be very hesitant with the wallet. DW has always been fair to players in their contracts. We can talk about next years team, who will DW sign, and who will be back, but the most important matter at hand right now for Thrashers fans is will there be NHL hockey next year in Atlanta?

Hockey Mojo is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 12:17 AM
  #8
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
With the CBA up in the air and the likelihood of no NHL hockey next year, DW will be very hesitant with the wallet. DW has always been fair to players in their contracts. We can talk about next years team, who will DW sign, and who will be back, but the most important matter at hand right now for Thrashers fans is will there be NHL hockey next year in Atlanta?
Agreed. We as fans are just worried about if next season will happen. Financial concerns take a back seat for the moment.

All teams are the "wait and see" mode right now. Every owner is gonna be hesitant to lock in contracts. It will interesting to see who makes the bold moves and spends some money this summer. Not at all certain that could happen, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it did.

It's gonna be like maniacally frustrating game of chess this summer.

cws is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.