HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Naslund "misquoted" and Aftonbladet is "non-reputable".

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 04:07 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

vCash: 500
Naslund "misquoted" and Aftonbladet is "non-reputable".

http://canucks.com/images/audiofile0...04/naslund.mp3

Quote:
Well first of all I just want to say I'm very dissapointed in papers reporting stuff and not going to the source and asking if its true or not. It comes from a non-reputable paper, Aftonbladet in Sweden. They read an article where I was misquoted and ran with it without asking me. It's just another distraction that we don't need right now and its unfortunate that they don't have the courage to come up and ask me before the run a gossip story like that.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:42 AM
rye&ginger

FYI this is not an Aprils fool day thread.

A guy I talk to in Sweden through a soccer board says
"well... it's the biggest newspaper in sweden. but it's not exactly reliable. especially when it comes to sport, its mostly bs"

Every city has that paper. Vancouver has The Province, TO has the Star, etc....
heh

Old
04-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
FYI this is not an Aprils fool day thread.

A guy I talk to in Sweden through a soccer board says
"well... it's the biggest newspaper in sweden. but it's not exactly reliable. especially when it comes to sport, its mostly bs"

Every city has that paper. Vancouver has The Province, TO has the Star, etc....
heh
IMO, the Star is better than the Sun in Toronto.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:39 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

The Toronto Star is more comparable to the Vancouver Sun... and the Province is more comparable to the toronto Sun.... they're the same papers basically (from their own city's POV) - even the designs and layouts are the same.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Aftonbladet is crap. I would not even use the paper in the kittylitter box. Or wrap fish in it. They are known for not checking there sources. They see something they know will sell papers, and go with it. No bother checking anything. Pure tabloid crap, IMO.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:59 AM
chicpea*

...and Victoria has the Times Columnist. Oh wait, that's our only paper.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:05 PM
SChan*

aftonbladet sucks. So unreliable.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
rye&ginger

yeah I meant the TO Sun...late night brain fart.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Well, I'm just posting a fyi so that us North American folk know what to think when Aftonbladet is involved.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Well we swedish posters keep telling you they suck every time there's a "Foppa going back to sweden"-thread or something like that. I haven't read that crap paper in 10 years apart from web links I keep getting on ICQ or e-mail..

Old
04-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert #24
Aftonbladet is crap. I would not even use the paper in the kittylitter box. Or wrap fish in it. They are known for not checking there sources. They see something they know will sell papers, and go with it. No bother checking anything. Pure tabloid crap, IMO.
Well in this case it than makes Örnsköldsviks Allehanda the non serious paper since they where in this case basically only relaying information from a SERIOUS newspaper in Ö-vik.

It is sickening how some of you here seems to think it is the national inquirer or something which it clearly is NOT. When it comes to sport they are pretty right on the money 99% of the time. and on numerous occasions i have seen people saying things on these boards in regards to this paper that where NEVER said

Old
04-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
The original story in his hometown paper was much more speculative in that case. I think Näslund mostly is embarrassed the story in his hometown paper found its way over the Atlantic. Ask any Swede who read both articles if Aftonbladet exaggerated anything. They didn't, quite the opposite. In the original article it was full of lines such as "Markus says with a sigh" etc.

This is just damage control from Näslund, which isn't suprising. He said some things he should regret.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
Well in this case it than makes Örnsköldsviks Allehanda the non serious paper since they where in this case basically only relaying information from a SERIOUS newspaper in Ö-vik.

It is sickening how some of you here seems to think it is the national inquirer or something which it clearly is NOT. When it comes to sport they are pretty right on the money 99% of the time. and on numerous occasions i have seen people saying things on these boards in regards to this paper that where NEVER said
Well, first off if you read in the first thread about Näslunds interview. You might find that I posted quotes and so on from Örnsköldsviks Allehanda in that thread. And no, Aftonbladet is not a good paper. Its miles from a good paper. They don't check the source of a story, and they will print what ever they want. No matter if the story is true or un-true. Its not about the story, its about how many papers they sell.

Is Aftonbladet the only paper doing this? Of course not. But right now Aftonbladet was the paper in question, so I voiced my opinion of the paper. And my opinion is that its a tabloid, or atleast very close to a tabloid. Not as bad as the English tabloids, but if they keep there current direction. They will be there soon.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
if Aftonbladet exaggerated anything. They didn't, quite the opposite.
Well, there is a first for everything

Old
04-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
This is just damage control from Näslund, which isn't suprising. He said some things he should regret.
This I agree with. Näslund probably ment what he said to Öviks-Allehanda. But he never realized/tought it might find its way to Aftonbladet/Expressen/any big paper. But it did, and now he is downplaying, blaming Aftonbladet that they missquoted him... witch would not be the first time they have missquoted someone.

Old
04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
LaVal

well Freudian, are you going to tell me that Aftonbladet isn't full of crap now?

Old
04-01-2004, 06:01 PM
ziggy

This is how I see this Näslund story happening, just my thoughts.

Sportwriter on Ö-väks Allehanda calls Markus Näslund.

Sportswriter to Näslund, for the millionth time: Markus, will you come home and play for MoDo next season?
Näslund, for the millionth time: No, I don´t think so. (Sigh)
Sportswriter: Are you sure?
Markus, not that amused: OK, I´ll tell you what - I´m not sure if I´m gonna play any hockey any more at all.

Later that day a guy at Aftonbladets sportsection reads this, says to a college: Hey, what about this Näslund thing, should we call him and-
College: Why? It´s all in there. Just go with it.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:56 PM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert #24
This I agree with. Näslund probably ment what he said to Öviks-Allehanda. But he never realized/tought it might find its way to Aftonbladet/Expressen/any big paper. But it did, and now he is downplaying, blaming Aftonbladet that they missquoted him... witch would not be the first time they have missquoted someone.
actuallly he really WAS misquoted

apparently what he said was he can't wait for teh season to be over and the playoffs to start.

instead they quoted it as he can't wait for the entire season to be over......as in he just would prefer the canucks to lose 4 straight in the first round and just get out.

not true at all.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:23 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
well Freudian, are you going to tell me that Aftonbladet isn't full of crap now?
Duh, I can read both articles. Ask any swede which article which was worse and they will tell you that Aftonbladet didn't create anything here. Näslund has been caught saying stuff he shouldn't have and now is trying to divert attention. How exactly did you expect him to react?

Every quote in the Aftonbladet article is a direct quote from the article in Näslunds hometown paper. If anything Näslund should attack that paper. They wrote a much more speculative article to start the whole thing.

Closed Thread