HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Niedermayer likely back; Ducks will trade a defenseman, Burke presser 6:30 PST

Old
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
Schneider and Edmonton's 1st for Matt Jones and a 3rd.
Schneider will likely be the one that is dealt, but there's no way the Ducks would make a deal such as that.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Schneider will likely be the one that is dealt, but there's no way the Ducks would make a deal such as that.
Who the hell wants to take on Schneider's contract?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
All I'm saying is I think the Ducks would rather send him to the minors before they moved the Oiler's 1st just to dump his contract. I'm sure there are other options out there.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You know what... I'd take MS right now because he is better (but doesn't play much PK) than Beauchemin. FB's contract is sweet tho'... he should be getting $3M/yr.

My gut feeling - Columbus will take Schneider for picks/prospects and eek the Ducks out for the final playoff spot.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Hemsky4PM

Isn't it obvious that it will have to be Schneider? They have to move his contract, 5.5M this season and 5.75M next. Who has the cap room and desire to pick up that deal? Keep in mind Anaheim can take on a bigger expiring contract in return just not a contract that goes into next season.

For example:

Atlanta could trade Holik for Schneider. Holik is making 4.5M and is a UFA at the end of the season.

Carolina could trade Bret Hedican (2.635M).

Chicago could trade Sergei Samsonov (3.525M).

Columbus could trade Adam Foote (4.6M).

Dallas could trade Mathius Norstrom (4.25M).

The Islanders could trade Satan (4.5M) or Fedotenko (2.9M). The Islanders are one of the few teams that could take on the entire Schneider deal without cap concerns. San Jose is the other, but are in the Ducks division. My bet is the Islanders make the move for Schneider, freeing up Snow declining the option on Bergeron's deal (1.653M) and giving them a solid (albeit overpaid) Schneider.

I think any team that trades for Schneider's deal should demand at least Edmonton's 2nd round pick to be included.

Fedotenko for Schneider and Edmonton's 2nd round 2008. That seems fair to me.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I don't get why they HAVE to trade a ton of salary away. If Niedermayer comes back, they're still under the cap. Next year, when he doesn't come back, they're probably still under the cap. I'd say they just have to cut a little bit, so they don't have to deal Schneider. IMO it'll be OD going somewhere(maybe Pittsburgh, they could use him) and Marchant going somewhere(I'd love to see him get to go home to Buffalo, but I dunno if they're interested) and they should be set. If Selanne comes back at some time with a salary that just squeezes through, they should be set. Line-up:

Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne
Bertuzzi-Getzlaf-Perry
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
May-Sutherby-Parros/Miller

Niedermayer-Beauchemin
Pronger-Schneider
Huskins-Hnidy

Giguere
Hiller

Man is that sick.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Buyer beware with Beauchemin... his stats have fallen off the earth compared to last year. i.e His PK numbers are brutal.
His numbers have fallen off due to things other than struggle. He hasn't gotten as much time and was injured for a short stint I think. Aside from that, the numbers have dropped to the point where he's not worth trying to acquire for certain teams.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Except they've been operating at 44 million so far because Niedermayer's suspended space still takes up cap space temporarily. The Ducks have had to keep the cap space for him to come back at any time. If he returns the Ducks will be "over" the cap, but only because of Hiller's bonuses.

In fact, read the first sentence of the 4th paragraph of the original article.

"The Ducks do not have any salary cap issues this season that would prevent Niedermayer from re-joining the team."
I stand corrected then. Reading the full article though it says they have to move someone this year because of next years contracts. Regardless someone who is under contract for next year is gone. Which if the last part of the article is true may seem like karma coming back.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
ALine9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I don't get why they HAVE to trade a ton of salary away. If Niedermayer comes back, they're still under the cap. Next year, when he doesn't come back, they're probably still under the cap. I'd say they just have to cut a little bit, so they don't have to deal Schneider. IMO it'll be OD going somewhere(maybe Pittsburgh, they could use him) and Marchant going somewhere(I'd love to see him get to go home to Buffalo, but I dunno if they're interested) and they should be set. If Selanne comes back at some time with a salary that just squeezes through, they should be set. Line-up:

Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne
Bertuzzi-Getzlaf-Perry
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
May-Sutherby-Parros/Miller

Niedermayer-Beauchemin
Pronger-Schneider
Huskins-Hnidy

Giguere
Hiller

Man is that sick.
****. Haha

ALine9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
HumanMachinery

What are the chances that Selänne might come back as well this season? I hope this doesn't start a trend, ala Roger Clemens.

HumanMachinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
ericnut

As a ducks fan, I would like to see Schneider be moved just so we can sign Perry. With Nieds coming back, we already have enough puck moving defenseman. If not, I wouldn't mind packaging O'D and Marchant and clearing some cap space that way.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:37 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I don't get why they HAVE to trade a ton of salary away.
Anaheim is not a cap team... next year with Getzlaf's new contract and Perry's new contract($4M?) and Neidermayer not playing they'll be pushing their own internal budget still...

They don't HAVE to trade a ton of salary... but do you like the current team on ice? If yes... that's what you'll get next year too. Sending salary away means more flexibility in the future.

Old
12-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
As a ducks fan, I would like to see Schneider be moved just so we can sign Perry. With Nieds coming back, we already have enough puck moving defenseman. If not, I wouldn't mind packaging O'D and Marchant and clearing some cap space that way.
As a NON Ducks fan I would like to see Schneider stay so someone can steal Perry! That is why they have to clear the room BEFORE July 1.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
As a NON Ducks fan I would like to see Schneider stay so someone can steal Perry! That is why they have to clear the room BEFORE July 1.
Complete non-issue if Niedermayer retires after the season. Then there's still at least 2 weeks with tagged room to re-sign Perry before July 1.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:47 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
His numbers have fallen off due to things other than struggle. He hasn't gotten as much time and was injured for a short stint I think. Aside from that, the numbers have dropped to the point where he's not worth trying to acquire for certain teams.
But they are red flags to me...

PKGA/60:

Beauchemin: 11.345 (this is a baaaaaad stat)
Pronger: 5.9

PPGF/60:

Beauchemin: 3.108 (also baaaad stat - more like what the Oilers are like)
Pronger: 6.097
Schneider: 6.125

ESGF/60:

Beauchemin: 1.791
Pronger: 1.709
Schneider: 2.437

ESGA/60:

Beauchemin: 2.239
Pronger: 2.197
Schneider: 1.895

At ES (even strength), Schneider is producing more and giving up less than CP + FB who are about the same... on the PK and PP, Chris Pronger still kicks butt.

Old
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe it's just me, but isn't trading one of your recent UFA singings not even half way through the season I dont' know.. bad for Business? Seems like it would set a bad precedent for future UFA's.

We had this discussion alot with talks of trading Tarnstrom on the Oilers board.
Pulling something like this on Schnider would almost be running a teams reputation into the gutter or something. Then again, Schneider might willing to move his family again so quickly after picking the nice California sun as a retirement home.

Last edited by Valic: 12-04-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spaces > me
Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
Younger then who? Isn't Beauchimen around 28 years old? Potential top 5 pick maybe so, but Staal IMO is worth a risk. Especially with the promise that that player contains
27 but thats not the point anyway. They dont need Staal. Nor do they have room for him on their current team. McDonald-Getzlaf-Pahlsson-Staal? Dont think hed want to play 4th line. Add to the fact if by some chance that pick ends up being #1. Stamkos!. Beauchemin>Staal to the Ducks imo. Beauchemin+1st+Macmillan>>>>Staal. Beauchemin is extremely important to the Ducks. MacMillan was drafted cause he fits into their system and the 1st once again could be top-5. It just wouldnt happen.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but the only places I see the word "tagged" in the CBA are if a team is signing a multiyear contract extension, signing a multiyear UFA after Dec 1st, or acquiring a player with a multiyear contract.

I don't see how the Ducks not having any tagged space affects the ability of Niedermayer to come back, it just means we can't trade for anyone with a multiyear contract, sign Selanne for a multiyear contract, or extend Perry.

I could be missing something but it seems like the Ducks don't have to move anyone. On the other hand, they should move O'Donnell, because we can't have a #5 defenseman making 1.2 million dollars. Preferably for a cheap scorer.
Correct. I just made the same point on the other Nieds thread (on the NHL Talk Board):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
So Contrary to popular belief, they DONT have the space to take him back this year with out trading somebody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McKenzie
The Ducks' committed payroll for next season is the issue. With Niedermayer potentially returning, and with another year left on his contract after this season, the Ducks could not add him to the roster now without freeing up cap room for next season. In the new CBA, it's called 'tagging' room and the Ducks don't have enough of it next season to allow Niedermayer back on the roster this season – unless they move a player who is under contract for next season.
Far be it from me to correct someone as respected as Bob McKenzie, but he is incorrect about the "tagged salary" issue.

"Tagged Salary" only effects:

- UFAs who sign a multi-year SPC after December 1 (CBA Article 50.5(e)(iv)(C)(2))

- "Acquiring SPCs After the Commencement of a Season, Via
Trade or Waivers" (CBA Article 50.5(e)(v)(B))

- Contract Extensions (CBA Article 50.5(f)(iii).

Nieds is NOT effected by the Tagged Salary, and the Ducks do not have to clear any cap space in order to activate him. His cap hit is already on the books for this year (and next) - his remaining cap hit is just dropping on a per day basis for every day he is suspended. His entire cap hit for next season is included in the "Payroll Room"/"Tagged Salary" calculations for any other SPC aquired that carries over into next season.

"Tagged Salary" does not affect Niedermeyer - but it WOULD affect the Ducks signing Teemu.

Could that be the other shoe waiting to fall?

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
All I'm saying is I think the Ducks would rather send him to the minors before they moved the Oiler's 1st just to dump his contract. I'm sure there are other options out there.
Unfortunately, Schneider is 38yo - his contract counts against the cap next year even if he is sent to the minors or even retires (See Malakhov, Vlad).

Old
12-04-2007, 08:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
I think you'll see a follow up Capital- Ducks deal. Washington passed over Bryzgalov, when he was on waivers and got a 2nd for Sutherby. I doubt that it's the end of the story.
I am not one for the conspiracy theories. But, in this case the Capitals have several 2nd round picks in the next draft. They have more drafted prospects than they could ever hope to use. Several that won't be ready and have cap ramifications til well after next season.

Schneider...The Ducks will have to pay somebody to take that contract. Only teams with a lot of cap room would consider this. I don't see the fit in Washington with Poti, Pothier and Green playing Schneider's role now.

O' Donnell doesnt make enough. IT would have to be O'Donnell and a forward of value under contract for next season.

Beauchemin would probably be the guy and it would still be a salary dump style trade.
The Caps giving up a drafted and probably unsigned prospect and a draft pick

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Correct. I just made the same point on the other Nieds thread (on the NHL Talk Board):
Good. So maybe the flood of offers for Beauchemin will slow some.

Quote:
"Tagged Salary" does not affect Niedermeyer - but it WOULD affect the Ducks signing Teemu.
Well it would only affect signing Teemu if he signed for a multiyear contract. Teemu has said on record way back when (2 years ago when he signed his last contract?) that he will only be signing 1 year contracts from now on because he might want to retire. So if they sign Teemu, that shouldn't be affected by tagged space either.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Good. So maybe the flood of offers for Beauchemin will slow some.

Well it would only affect signing Teemu if he signed for a multiyear contract. Teemu has said on record way back when (2 years ago when he signed his last contract?) that he will only be signing 1 year contracts from now on because he might want to retire. So if they sign Teemu, that shouldn't be affected by tagged space either.
True - but it would effect a Perry extension (unless Nieds announces his retirement before July 1, as mentioned above).

Old
12-04-2007, 08:29 PM
patsypostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Isn't it obvious that it will have to be Schneider? They have to move his contract, 5.5M this season and 5.75M next. Who has the cap room and desire to pick up that deal? Keep in mind Anaheim can take on a bigger expiring contract in return just not a contract that goes into next season.

For example:

Atlanta could trade Holik for Schneider. Holik is making 4.5M and is a UFA at the end of the season.

Carolina could trade Bret Hedican (2.635M).

Chicago could trade Sergei Samsonov (3.525M).

Columbus could trade Adam Foote (4.6M).

Dallas could trade Mathius Norstrom (4.25M).

The Islanders could trade Satan (4.5M) or Fedotenko (2.9M). The Islanders are one of the few teams that could take on the entire Schneider deal without cap concerns. San Jose is the other, but are in the Ducks division. My bet is the Islanders make the move for Schneider, freeing up Snow declining the option on Bergeron's deal (1.653M) and giving them a solid (albeit overpaid) Schneider.

I think any team that trades for Schneider's deal should demand at least Edmonton's 2nd round pick to be included.

Fedotenko for Schneider and Edmonton's 2nd round 2008. That seems fair to me.
The Islanders thought they were getting Schneider on July 1 and then the whole Niedermeyer thing happened and the Ducks jumped in
actually I think the player the Isles would deal would be Bergeron since he has the history of playing well with Pronger
Bergeron & Ana #2 (which Isles own) for Schneider

patsypostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:38 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'm not sure if the Rangers and Ducks would make great trade partners due to the cap, but if the Ducks are looking to deal him east, the Rangers might be a team to look at. Mara, Baranka, 2nd rounder.

They could definitely use Schneider, and I honestly felt that he should have never been left unprotected in the expansion draft. We had other pieces of garbage that could have been let go.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
27 but thats not the point anyway. They dont need Staal. Nor do they have room for him on their current team. McDonald-Getzlaf-Pahlsson-Staal? Dont think hed want to play 4th line. Add to the fact if by some chance that pick ends up being #1. Stamkos!. Beauchemin>Staal to the Ducks imo. Beauchemin+1st+Macmillan>>>>Staal. Beauchemin is extremely important to the Ducks. MacMillan was drafted cause he fits into their system and the 1st once again could be top-5. It just wouldnt happen.
I see what your trying to say, I didnt notice they had to many contracts intact but, saying Staal would be there 4th line center is ludacris.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote