HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

League attendence figures.

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Cruiser008

vCash: 500
League attendence figures.

Was bored (when your team has 1st seed in the West wrapped up that tends to happen ) so I checked some stats as the season is winding down. As a crude estimate of fan support the league attendence figures are pretty interesting.

League Attendence Figures from ESPN

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware these figures do not take into account ticket prices, which is why I said they were a CRUDE estimate of fan support.

Looking at the home attendence figures, Vancouver (5th) and Minnisota (6th) both have impressive numbers. (both teams also average 100+% capacity, which is excellent to say the least) Vancouver fans has really rallyed behind their team, and Minnisota is a great HOCKEY market, although outside of Gaborik I find their team quite boring (as the 20 ties can attest!). Also Columbus is impressive at 14th overall considering the Jackets are one of the worst teams in the league. However again as 99.9% of HF members know the great Nash hype machine is one of the league's most relentless.

As for the teams with lower than expected numbers, last year's cup finalists New Jersey and Anaheim are at 22nd and 23rd respectively, clearly not a surprize to anyone. Ottawa is a bit low at 13th, but as 100% of Leafs fans will tell you their PR and marketing depts are more than a little suspect. Atlanta is also slightly disappointing at 21st considering they are in a big (albeit non-hockey) market and have two of the league's brightest young stars (perhaps they need MORE hype? lol jk!).

The road attendence figures are less reliable since all the numbers are very close to each other. Detroit (1st) and Colorado (2nd) hold sizable leads over all the other teams in the league. Calgary and New Jersey are VERY impressive at 4th and 5th respectively. The biggest surprize is Nashville at 9th (you mean people actually enjoy watching their team play the Preds!?) and Ottawa at 30th (Ouch! I can the see Leafs fans preparing their insults riggght about now)

Old
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
The Big P

I was looking at these last week and I couldn't figure why Ottawa had such bad attendance on the road. the only thing I could assume was that since they are so succesful other teams don't offer discounts to go to Ottawa games, like they do for the panthers, preds and so on.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big P
I was looking at these last week and I couldn't figure why Ottawa had such bad attendance on the road. the only thing I could assume was that since they are so succesful other teams don't offer discounts to go to Ottawa games, like they do for the panthers, preds and so on.
I think it's a few factors combined, but I'm just speculating.

1. Some people still think of them as a boring, trap team and don't think the game will be entertaining?
2. They don't have a lot of history behind them?
3. They don't really have that huge star you come out to see?
4. In places where the Sens traditionally do very well, the fans are reluctant to shell out money for a probable loss by their team?

Those are just some guesses, obviously other teams' fans would be able to tell us why they don't come out to see the Sens.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmeimasensfan

1. Some people still think of them as a boring, trap team and don't think the game will be entertaining?
4. In places where the Sens traditionally do very well, the fans are reluctant to shell out money for a probable loss by their team?

Those are just some guesses, obviously other teams' fans would be able to tell us why they don't come out to see the Sens.
i think it's mainly because your casual american hockey fan doesn't really know too much about the senators. on the other hand, everyone knows about the canadiens or leafs. just a thought.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Liquidrage*

I wonder how this compared to NBA figures?

*too lazy to look this up myself*

Old
04-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Snakeeye

IMO, it has very little to do with the team.

For Calgary, as an example:

Edmonton, Vancouver, Colorado and Minnesota are all guaranteed sellouts - that's 12 games.

Detroit (x2), Montreal, Philadelphia, Toronto, and Dallas (x2) are also virtually guaranteed sellouts.

Nashville also "sold out" one game against us. Thats half of Calgary's schedule listed as sell outs, where the Flames being the opposition didnt matter at all. Same goes for several other teams.

Otherwise, you just have to hope you get lucky and play the Hurricanes or Panthers or some other teams on a day when they blatantly lie about their attendance.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:15 PM
-(v)atrix-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
i think it's mainly because your casual american hockey fan doesn't really know too much about the senators. on the other hand, everyone knows about the canadiens or leafs. just a thought.
edit: snakeye beat me to it.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
richardn

Quote:

I would comment on this but what is the point the Mods will just delete it anyways. The trap thought makes a little sense though.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008
Looking at the home attendence figures, Vancouver (5th) and Minnisota (6th) both have impressive numbers. (both teams also average 100+% capacity, which is excellent to say the least) Vancouver fans has really rallyed behind their team..........
Lets have a hand for Brian Burke. Ridiculous what he's done.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:40 PM
in the hall

and someone was trying to convince me pittsburgh was among leaders in attendance and calling for their contraction was unfounded

Old
04-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Oilers Hockey

Hey I dont blame Penguins fans for their attendance. Besides Pens fans say they do make a profit; and its a storied franchise.

Good to see the Oilers are 8th overall percentage wise. Thats exceptional!

Old
04-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I would comment on this but what is the point the Mods will just delete it anyways. The trap thought makes a little sense though.
I'd like to hear what you have to say, as long as it's thought out and not a "Because the Sens are stupid" kind of thing.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I wonder how this compared to NBA figures?

*too lazy to look this up myself*

Here you go..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Whats weird is only two NBA have 100% attendence compared to 5 NHL teams with 100% attendence. But also the worse attended team in the NBA the Atlanta Hawks (13,825 avg) would be ahead of the Pens, Canes, Preds, Blackhawks and Islander.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
As for the teams with lower than expected numbers, last year's cup finalists New Jersey and Anaheim are at 22nd and 23rd respectively, clearly not a surprize to anyone.
for the record, Anaheim's 22nd overall is up 4 spots and almost 1000 people from last season

and how can you have more then 100% attendance?

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 04-01-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 09:51 PM
richardn

Quote:
I'd like to hear what you have to say, as long as it's thought out and not a "Because the Sens are stupid" kind of thing.
No, its mostly just useless biased trash talk. Its no secret I don't like the Sens. I would say though that their style of play is probably a major factor. I think the Sens would be better off trying to play a west coast style rather then a Jersey style game. The Sens are a fast skating team that should play more of a puck posession game. They need Scotty Bowman for their coach. I could never understand why Ottawa trapps so much. Maybee thats why I don't like the Sens, Their is the Alfie factor as well. Get rid of Alfie and I might go from hate Sens to dislike the Sens.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
for the record, Anaheim's 22nd overall is up 4 spots and almost 1000 people from last season

and how can you have more then 100% attendance?
Standing room only.

Nashville's attendance will pick up next year, I've heard the deposit drives are already up more than 40% compared to last season at this time. The last few games have all been or very close to sell outs.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
No, its mostly just useless biased trash talk. Its no secret I don't like the Sens. I would say though that their style of play is probably a major factor. I think the Sens would be better off trying to play a west coast style rather then a Jersey style game. The Sens are a fast skating team that should play more of a puck posession game. They need Scotty Bowman for their coach. I could never understand why Ottawa trapps so much. Maybee thats why I don't like the Sens, Their is the Alfie factor as well. Get rid of Alfie and I might go from hate Sens to dislike the Sens.

well they lead the league in goals so it cant be that bad...

Old
04-01-2004, 11:14 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
well they lead the league in goals so it cant be that bad...
The reason they are leading the league in goals would be because they faced Trevor Kidd when they played the Leafs. :lol

Old
04-01-2004, 11:22 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:

Looking at the home attendence figures, Vancouver (5th) and Minnisota (6th) both have impressive numbers. (both teams also average 100+% capacity, which is excellent to say the least) Vancouver fans has really rallyed behind their team, and Minnisota is a great HOCKEY market, although outside of Gaborik I find their team quite boring (as the 20 ties can attest!). Also Columbus is impressive at 14th overall considering the Jackets are one of the worst teams in the league. .......
Columbus has remained above 95% of capacity despite 4 years of bad hockey. two-thirds of the games played at Nationwide are sell-outs. IMO, the city doesn't always get the credit here, on these boards, as a good, supportive market.

In fact, one of the previous posters in this thread---who isn't worth naming---was just taking shots at Columbus a week or so ago, with an idiotic "contraction" thread.

As for Nashville's success at drawing on the road, I think most knowledgible hockey fans expect to see a hard-working team when the Preds come to town. They may not have always had marquee names in the line-up, but you know you're going to see a tough, hard-nosed team play a complete game against the home club.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Standing room only.

Nashville's attendance will pick up next year, I've heard the deposit drives are already up more than 40% compared to last season at this time. The last few games have all been or very close to sell outs.
It helps when corporate sponsors buy hundreds of tickets that go unclaimed to invent sellouts.

Regardless, it is good to see such an increase in attendance.. Hopefully the lockout doesnt kill all of that momentum.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:06 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
It helps when corporate sponsors buy hundreds of tickets that go unclaimed to invent sellouts.

Regardless, it is good to see such an increase in attendance.. Hopefully the lockout doesnt kill all of that momentum.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:34 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Happens all the time, not just in Nashville.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:48 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
Happens all the time, not just in Nashville.

If I am not serious mistaken, the numbers that ESPN puts out are ticket sales, not the number of people who are actually at the games (the drop count). It would be interesting to see these numbers for all the teams. I have seen them for the 'canes and it is not pretty.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Was bored (when your team has 1st seed in the West wrapped up that tends to happen ) so I checked some stats as the season is winding down. As a crude estimate of fan support the league attendence figures are pretty interesting.

League Attendence Figures from ESPN

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware these figures do not take into account ticket prices, which is why I said they were a CRUDE estimate of fan support.

Looking at the home attendence figures, Vancouver (5th) and Minnisota (6th) both have impressive numbers. (both teams also average 100+% capacity, which is excellent to say the least) Vancouver fans has really rallyed behind their team, and Minnisota is a great HOCKEY market, although outside of Gaborik I find their team quite boring (as the 20 ties can attest!). Also Columbus is impressive at 14th overall considering the Jackets are one of the worst teams in the league. However again as 99.9% of HF members know the great Nash hype machine is one of the league's most relentless.

As for the teams with lower than expected numbers, last year's cup finalists New Jersey and Anaheim are at 22nd and 23rd respectively, clearly not a surprize to anyone. Ottawa is a bit low at 13th, but as 100% of Leafs fans will tell you their PR and marketing depts are more than a little suspect. Atlanta is also slightly disappointing at 21st considering they are in a big (albeit non-hockey) market and have two of the league's brightest young stars (perhaps they need MORE hype? lol jk!).

The road attendence figures are less reliable since all the numbers are very close to each other. Detroit (1st) and Colorado (2nd) hold sizable leads over all the other teams in the league. Calgary and New Jersey are VERY impressive at 4th and 5th respectively. The biggest surprize is Nashville at 9th (you mean people actually enjoy watching their team play the Preds!?) and Ottawa at 30th (Ouch! I can the see Leafs fans preparing their insults riggght about now)
No mention of the habs. We've lead the league in attendance for 4 of the last 5 years despite marginal play. When the team returns to glory, we will sell out every game from the start to the end of the regular season.

Closed Thread