HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Undrafted Players

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 05:09 AM
eh

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
I know earlier european players didnät have to be drafted to play in the NHL, but I think you have to be drafted today to sign a NHL contract (as a european-born player)

Are you all sure Lubos Bartecko isn't drafted?
It doesn't have as much to do with where the player is born as with where he plays in his draft year: European based players have to be drafted, NA based don't. Bartecko played his last junior years in QMJHL, so he didn't have to be drafted and wasn't.

Old
03-29-2004, 02:58 PM
beerpaul*

What's the common thread amounst most of the players listed here? Their lack of size. There is the odd case(Tim Kerr), for one...who at 6'4", was undrafted. About 90%, or more of the players listed are "small". Scouts focus on size first, talent second.

Old
03-29-2004, 10:51 PM
ikovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnep
BEST UNDRAFTED PLAYERS

St.Louis Martin -- 1998-99 -- 2002-03 -- 282 -- 165
st. louis wasn't drafted?! how.......why.....?!

Old
03-30-2004, 01:36 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Zbynek Michalek should be thrown out there...

and if he ever work out Travis 'the Wild killer' Roche

Old
03-30-2004, 03:29 AM
ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikovy
st. louis wasn't drafted?! how.......why.....?!
Well, St. Louis was good in ECAC, but I think his size (5-9) scared the most.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
It doesn't have as much to do with where the player is born as with where he plays in his draft year: European based players have to be drafted, NA based don't. Bartecko played his last junior years in QMJHL, so he didn't have to be drafted and wasn't.
What you are saying is that for example Björn Svensson (Swede, currently playing in WHL, draft eliagble this year) could sign for a NHL team in a few seasons without being drafted?

How long does it have to go before you are conidered a Free Agent?

Old
04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
El_Loco_Avs

O_o

I'm trying to remember if these guys ever all played together on the Avs...
Lefebvre probably left before DeVries emerged...

Jon Klemm
Eric Messier
Greg DeVries
Sylvain Lefebvre

Old
04-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs
O_o

I'm trying to remember if these guys ever all played together on the Avs...
Lefebvre probably left before DeVries emerged...

Jon Klemm
Eric Messier
Greg DeVries
Sylvain Lefebvre
in 1998-99, Devries played 67 games with the Avs and Lefebvre played 76, Messier played 31 and Klemm played 39

Old
04-02-2004, 12:51 AM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
What you are saying is that for example Björn Svensson (Swede, currently playing in WHL, draft eliagble this year) could sign for a NHL team in a few seasons without being drafted?

How long does it have to go before you are conidered a Free Agent?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

It says in the CBA that "any player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft but who was unclaimed shall be an unrestricted free agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b)." The section 8.9(b) says that "No player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he (...) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed a Player Contract which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL season [or] had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed a Player Contract which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Canadian Major Junior Hockey League season (except that if such player had signed an NHL Try-Out Form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League a Player Contract with such Try-Out club shall be the commencement of the NHL season)."

Old
04-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

It says in the CBA that "any player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft but who was unclaimed shall be an unrestricted free agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b)." The section 8.9(b) says that "No player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he (...) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed a Player Contract which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL season [or] had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed a Player Contract which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Canadian Major Junior Hockey League season (except that if such player had signed an NHL Try-Out Form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League a Player Contract with such Try-Out club shall be the commencement of the NHL season)."
Thanks. I think I get it.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:18 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES
Well, St. Louis was good in ECAC, but I think his size (5-9) scared the most.
I don't think he is even this tall. 5-7 would be more accurate.

Samsonov is 5-8 and was drafted.

Closed Thread