HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD#8 Don Cherry Semi-Final: #1 Aurora Tigers vs. #5 New York Rangers

Old
12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Hey guys,

write up will be done by the end of the day. Soon as I get off work I'll have all the games up.

Ah, my trusted colleague...I know you'll cheat for me

Arrbez' wishlist of things to be included in the write-ups:

-A 14 line Shakespearean soliloquy on the glory of Brett Hull's mullet (I can help with this if necessary)
-Jean Beliveau beating a man with his own helmet
-A dance-off between Chris Chelios and Billy Smith, with someone getting served

thank you in advance

Last edited by arrbez: 12-04-2007 at 02:16 PM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Jungosi

Send a message via ICQ to Jungosi
I think Smith should pull off a Hextall in this one. I mean Chelios and Propp are in this series and Claude Lemieux and his old buddy Draper should have some fun too. Wilf Paiement ended someone's career I believe and Cashman is a good guy too. So we need at least 3 brawls.

btw : Do you have a pick of Brett Hull's magnificent mullet? I thought it was just a legend.

Jungosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungosi View Post
btw : Do you have a pick of Brett Hull's magnificent mullet? I thought it was just a legend.
It was rather unique in hockey circles because it was straight and spikey. This wasn't the flowing, girly mullet of Wayne or Mario. This mullet was 100% man. There could be no doubt that this dude was here to party.

I wish I could better pictures, but these should give you an idea.

Old
12-04-2007, 11:59 PM
raleh

Game 1

Rangers dominate sluggish Tigers.

Game one in Aurora sees the Tigers come out slowly from their long rest after the regular season. New York gets 12 shots in the first period, six of them coming from Beliveau who converts on two. On the first one he works a give and go with Propp that leaves Flaman flat footed and looking silly and roofs it on Thompson who seemed unprepared for the shot. Later in the period Beliveau takes advantage of a sloppy line change by the nitro line who stayed out for well over 2 minutes and breaks in alone. He goes right but slides the puck into the left corner with one hand. Pointing at teammate Peter Forsberg after the goal he can be heard to yell "I stole your move". Aurora wakes up about half way through the game, but it's too late. Espo bangs in a reboud off of Chelios' point shot, but Claude Lemieux scores and empty netter to end the game 3-1.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:07 AM
raleh

Game 2

Tigers win game two

Game two is played at a much quicker pace than the first and it looks like Aurora has shown up to play some hockey. The shots are even at 10 a piece after the first, but New York comes out with a 1-0 lead when Beliveau redirects Ebbie Goodfellow's point shot. Smith makes three of four spectacular saves, the most impressive of which comes off of a Bret Hull one timer right at the top of the slot. The tigers tie it up midway through the second when Wayne Cashman out muscles Mark Howe in the corner and throws it out to Esposito in front of the net. Espo gets three cracks at it before finally sliding it through Smith's legs. Outraged that the play wasn't whistled down Smith slashes Esposito in the back of the leg starting a melee in front of the net. Espo gets the last laugh however as he pots what would be the game winner on the ensuing power play, tipping Brett Hull's shot while essentially sitting on Smith. The game ends 2-1 as Aurora presses but Smith pushes back, oftentimes literally. The teams head to New York deadlocked at one game a piece.

Old
12-05-2007, 12:17 AM
raleh

Game 3

Beliveau records hat trick, Tigers win

The crowd in New York is quite a bit louder than they were in Aurora as the teams put on a scoring clinic in game three. The score is 3-3 after the first period and Beliveau has a natural hat trick. Esposito, Hull, and Oates each score in the first 10 minutes, seemingly having solved Smith. Andy Moog looked ready to go in, but Quinn never made the call and kept Smith in the game. It pays off because on the very next play Chris Chelios rushes from behind his own net, goes through the entire New York team and fires a shot that seems marked for the top corner. Smith gets his glove on it, puts it down on his stick and fires it up to Believeau who is just hopping off the bench. Beliveau streaks in and shoots five hole to cut the lead to 3-1. He would add two more before the period was over. After a scoreless second period the Tigers start peppering Smith again forcing him into making save after save. With five minutes left in the game Oates and Hull are breaking in two on two against Ludwig and Goodfellow. Chelios joins the rush on the far left and isn't noticed by the Ranger defense. Oates makes a pass seemingly to Hull and Smith commits expecting a one-timer. The puck skips over Hull's stick directly onto that of Chelios who has an easy tap in. Chelios would add an empty netter from deep in the Aurora zone to finish the game off 5-3.

Old
12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
raleh

Game 4

Chelios is the man

The Rangers come out hard in game four, but are kept at bay by terrific defensive play by Chelios and Ragulin. The Beliveau and Forsberg lines seem to have the puck the entire first period, but only register 4 shots on goal. Chelios catches Lemieux with a vicious knee on knee hit that many in the New York crowd think should be cause for suspension. It only warrants two minutes for tripping according to Frank Udvari. In the second period Chelios is everywhere. About half way through he breaks up a Chris Drury- Brian Rolston rush and fires a pass up to Oates. Oates makes a pin point pass to Esposito (who has stayed on the ice for long enough for Brett Hull to miss an entire shift) who bangs it through Smith's legs. After the goal Chelios skates past Smith and says with a wink "you got served". Smith goes after Chelios who turtles as the linesmen peel Battlin' Billy off of him. Smith is brilliant on the ensuing penalty kill and remainder of the period. In the third Beliveau and Forsberg both score, but are answered by Hodge and Klukay as the game ends 3-2. The teams head to Aurora with the tigers up 3-1 in the series.

Old
12-05-2007, 12:31 AM
raleh

Game 5

Hockey game breaks out at boxing match

The series has been pretty tame through four games, but emotions boil over in Aurora as the Rangers are on the brink of elimination. Early in the first period Claude Lemieux cheapshots Kris Draper. Chelios is livid and comes after Lemieux who tries to skate away. Joe Hall steps up and decks Chelios and is then wrestled to the ground by Cashman. Esposito tries to get in on the action but neither Naslund or Forsberg are looking for dancing partners. Espo turns away disgustedly to play to the crowd and is surprised to see Billy Smith's blocker clock him. The brawl is the first of many as the teams seem less interested in playing hockey than fighting. The fighting is over by the middle of the third period however and Smith is playing spectacularly. Feeding off of this Beliveau scores two goals to keep the Rangers alive and giving Billy his first shutout of the season. After the final whistle Smith skates by Chelios dancing. Chelios smiles. Esposito does not.

Old
12-05-2007, 12:41 AM
raleh

Game 6

Smith and Beliveau not enough to prolong series

Everyone seems to expect a repeat of game 5, but both teams are here to play hockey. Oates and Hull look extremely dangerous at the start, and everyone seems to sense that they will score. Billy Smith has other plans however, and stones them at every opportunity. Instead, Beliveau gets the first goal off of a pretty pass from Goodfellow. In the second period Cash, Hodge, and Espo are doing their thing. Cashman crunches Howe in the corner and the puck is loose, it skids all the way to the other corner where Joe Hall meets it. Before he can look up he's crunched by Cashman too. Cash flings the puck out to Chelios at the point who beats Smith stick side with Espo's rear end in his face. In the second period Beliveau gets a number of good chances, but Chelios and Lewis combine to effectively shut him down for the rest of the game. Claude Lemieux scores early in the third, but the goal is answered by Hull who blasts a snap shot past the glove of Smith. With three minutes left in the game and score tied 2-2 Esposito has once again stayed on the ice longer than the rest of his line mates. He's out there with Hull and Oates and they're buzzing. Oates finds Hull in the slot who fires a one timer. Smith gets his left leg on it somehow but the rebound pops right out onto the stick of Esposito. It's business as usual for the best garbage goal scorer of all time as he slams it just inside the post. The Rangers press with the extra ma, but it ends 3-2. The Aurora Tigers defeat the New York Rangers 4 games to 2.

Three stars: Jean Beliveau, Chris Chelios, Billy Smith

Old
12-05-2007, 12:45 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Great write-ups Raleh. Plenty of detail, but not too long. My A.D.D. thanks you.

Congrats on a great team ES, I fully expected it to go 7.

Old
12-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Figured, congrats to Aurora, good luck next round.

So strange to have the 1st and 3rd Star of the series... and lose? You sure the votes weren't mixed up?

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote