HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Hands of stone award winners tonight

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 10:10 PM
King of Stankonia

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Hands of stone award winners tonight

Jamal Mayers and Doug Weight won hands down (I make a funny!) tonight, with Pavol Demitra getting an honourable mention. While it was a well fought game, watching those two foil themselves on opportunity after opportunity almost ruined it. I only get to watch about 10 games a season up here in Mrs. Sauga, and the last couple of times the Blues stunk out the joint (the most "memorable" being the thrashing that the Wings put on the Blues).

Weight was "foiled" twice tonight. Once by the side of the net and another by the heel of his stick. Both occasions occured when he was positioned in front of the net which led me to ask myself, "Why is Weight there? Shouldn't Mellanby be there?". Maybe I'm just wrong. Other than his blown scoring chances, I didn't notice Weight out on the ice at all. I'm still very much against trading him, because I think he'd be an excellent addition to a line involving Pavol Demitra or Keith Tkachuk. Savage and Mellanby just don't do it for me.

Mayers was even worse with regards to watching pucks go just beneath his stick, between his legs, or knuckle-balling far off from the net. You can't really blame him though considering he's not there to score goals. On that note the Drake-Sillinger-Mayers line, which I am nominating as the "Doctors" line (Mayers, Drake, Sillinger I make another funny! ) was the best line tonight when it came to creating chances in the offensive zone. The fore-checking was intense and the positioning smart. Too bad they just couldn't come close to converting.

Demitra gets the dishonourable mention for sitting all alone on the doorstep wide a gaping cage in front of him when he fired a perfect "Joe Montana" at the net; it hit Lamothe right where the numbers would be.

After the game, sitting down for my post-game smoke, I started playing around with line combos in my head, seeing if I could come up with something different, fun, and could have a chance at working. Here's what I came up with.

Tkachuk-Weight-Mayers

Tkachuk could do his "gigantor in front of the net thing", Weight could use his incredible passing skills, and Mayers could use his tenacity to dig in the corners and get those pucks, while his speed would create an X-factor on the line. Granted it doesn't exactly scream offensive juggernaut, but neither does any other line on this club right now. Mayers would also be solid for back-checking, leaving Weight and Tkachuk to take the chances when need be.

Drake-Cajanek-Demitra

Cajanek and Demitra seemed to be feeding off of each other well tonight, and I from what I've read on the boards and at the mad house that is the St. Louis Today forum I assume that it's been that way for a while. Both have good offensive intuition and creativity, and Demitra's just plain great. Drake could go ape-kaka over opposition and do what Mayers would on the top line. The line could also be a solid two-way line.

Savage-Sillinger-Mellanby
It's been evident all season with every game I've watched; Mellanby should not be getting more than 14 minutes a game. Keeping him to that limit should keep him as fresh as possible. Both Sillinger and Savage have shown more offense than I had credited them with (which in Savage's case was just about nil) and could create an interesting buzz for the post-season. It's not exactly a grind line, but as far as third lines go, it's pretty good I think.

The usual suspects 4th line
I personally don't think it matters with what's left. Johnson-Danton-Rycroft (when he gets back that is) would do it for me I guess.

Any comments, criticism, trolling?

Old
04-02-2004, 02:04 AM
dirt

You should rename the hands of stone award the Ryan Johnson Award.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Felix

Send a message via ICQ to Felix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Jamal Mayers and Doug Weight won hands down (I make a funny!) tonight, with Pavol Demitra getting an honourable mention. While it was a well fought game, watching those two foil themselves on opportunity after opportunity almost ruined it. I only get to watch about 10 games a season up here in Mrs. Sauga, and the last couple of times the Blues stunk out the joint (the most "memorable" being the thrashing that the Wings put on the Blues).

Weight was "foiled" twice tonight. Once by the side of the net and another by the heel of his stick. Both occasions occured when he was positioned in front of the net which led me to ask myself, "Why is Weight there? Shouldn't Mellanby be there?". Maybe I'm just wrong. Other than his blown scoring chances, I didn't notice Weight out on the ice at all. I'm still very much against trading him, because I think he'd be an excellent addition to a line involving Pavol Demitra or Keith Tkachuk. Savage and Mellanby just don't do it for me.

Mayers was even worse with regards to watching pucks go just beneath his stick, between his legs, or knuckle-balling far off from the net. You can't really blame him though considering he's not there to score goals. On that note the Drake-Sillinger-Mayers line, which I am nominating as the "Doctors" line (Mayers, Drake, Sillinger I make another funny! ) was the best line tonight when it came to creating chances in the offensive zone. The fore-checking was intense and the positioning smart. Too bad they just couldn't come close to converting.

Demitra gets the dishonourable mention for sitting all alone on the doorstep wide a gaping cage in front of him when he fired a perfect "Joe Montana" at the net; it hit Lamothe right where the numbers would be.

After the game, sitting down for my post-game smoke, I started playing around with line combos in my head, seeing if I could come up with something different, fun, and could have a chance at working. Here's what I came up with.

Tkachuk-Weight-Mayers

Tkachuk could do his "gigantor in front of the net thing", Weight could use his incredible passing skills, and Mayers could use his tenacity to dig in the corners and get those pucks, while his speed would create an X-factor on the line. Granted it doesn't exactly scream offensive juggernaut, but neither does any other line on this club right now. Mayers would also be solid for back-checking, leaving Weight and Tkachuk to take the chances when need be.

Drake-Cajanek-Demitra

Cajanek and Demitra seemed to be feeding off of each other well tonight, and I from what I've read on the boards and at the mad house that is the St. Louis Today forum I assume that it's been that way for a while. Both have good offensive intuition and creativity, and Demitra's just plain great. Drake could go ape-kaka over opposition and do what Mayers would on the top line. The line could also be a solid two-way line.

It's been evident all season with every game I've watched; Mellanby should not be getting more than 14 minutes a game. Keeping him to that limit should keep him as fresh as possible. Both Sillinger and Savage have shown more offense than I had credited them with (which in Savage's case was just about nil) and could create an interesting buzz for the post-season. It's not exactly a grind line, but as far as third lines go, it's pretty good I think.

I personally don't think it matters with what's left. Johnson-Danton-Rycroft (when he gets back that is) would do it for me I guess.

Definitely agree. I'd just put Bogie with Weight and KT when he gets healthy. Overall, all lines have scoring and toughness and that's good.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:15 AM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt
You should rename the hands of stone award the Ryan Johnson Award.
At least Johnson knows his role on the team. I have been rather impressed with him the last four or five games (minus this detroit game). He seemed to bring a lot of energy, hitting and puck pressure. Mayers, in my opinion, is useless. He is the original "Stone Hands" who most of the time misses the net on a wide open shot. The only attributes that he can bring to the game are speed and hitting and he rarely brings that. Being the type of player he is, you should notice him out there more for his physical presence and energy. Most games he is just a ghost.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:59 AM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan

Tkachuk-Weight-Mayers

Drake-Cajanek-Demitra

I really like the lines you've put together, they actually give this team a semblance of three scoring lines, I never thought that'd be possible with the roster we currently have. It'd be cool to see Kitchen try this out, then again with the playoff race it isn't the time to experiment with new lines.

Closed Thread