HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Roger Neilson Trophy

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
The Roger Neilson Trophy

Yeah, yeah I know YET another thread on hockey trophies but please bear with me a few moments.

With the various nominations for new and renamed trophies and awards such as the the Orr, the Gretzky, the Howe - let me present my choice.

THE ROGER NEILSON TROPHY

This is modelled on the Lester Patrick Award which honours service to the game of hockey in the USA. "The Lester Patrick Trophy is an annual award presented for outstanding service to hockey in the United States. Eligible recipients are players, officials, coaches, executives, and referees."

Do you not find it passingly strange that Canada does not have a similar award? And who better to name it after than Roger Neilson.

This past summer I indulged in a few days at a resort outside Toronto and had the pleasure of spending some time with Bobby Baun. I talked to him about my idea and he thought it would be a great way to honour Roger.

What do you think? It could be a joint presentation to the league by the Leafs, Senators and Canucks as the Canadian NHL clubs he had such impact upon during his career.

Given the outpouring of emotion and affection by all levels of fans and players across the country, maybe it is time to for fans of the game organize a drive for the trophy and try to shift some of the focus on our game to its positive aspects rather than wallowing in the seedier aspects.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Sounds like a very good award to me, and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be added as the U.S. has one similar to it.

Obviously this year I'd have to give it to Mike Fisher for all the work he's done for Roger's foundation.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Impossibles

Great Idea.

So I take it Gary Bettman is the first winner?

(just kidding - couldn't resist)

Old
04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Great Idea.

So I take it Gary Bettman is the first winner?

(just kidding - couldn't resist)
YIKES... that is enough to have me reconsider.

Closed Thread