HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Random thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 03:56 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82
But if teams know that Mayers and Low can't score, all they ned to do is focus on Weight, therefore making it that much harder for Weight to get the puck to Mayers or Low. Why focus on the stone hands guys when they can't hurt you? Eliminate the only threat on that line and you neutralize the whole line. It's not as easy as "Weight should produce no matter who's on his wings." The Blues knew what they were getting when they traded for Weight, an excellent setup man who'll chip in 20 odd goals or so. The onus was on management to get him skilled wingers, and they've failed in that aspect. If anything, Weight's been ridiculously mismanaged.
Mario Lemieux put up 54-53-107 in 1986-87 while flanked by goal-scoring phenomenons like Dan Quinn (31), Randy Cunneyworth (26) and Craig Simpson (26). The year before he posted 48-93-141 while playing with perennial snipers like Mike Bullard (41-42-83), Doug Shedden (32-34-66), and Terry Ruskowski (26-37-63). The point here is, as much as the "eliminate the only threat" argument makes sense when the guy is paired with 2 stiffs, Lemieux still managed to post big numbers while making his stiffs look like pretty good players. Weight hasn't done that.

Should management have done more to get (or keep) skilled wingers for Weight? Of course they should have....but if Weight was an "elite forward" he should at least be able to elevate the play of his wingers noticeably. He hasn't done that.

03-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Irish Blues

If we could rewind the clock, I'd go back to the 2000 offseason and sign Mathieu Schneider as a UFA instead of Sean Hill. Schneider would have been a nice complement to MacInnis, could have run the 2nd PP unit and would have been there to help steady the offensive side of the blueline when MacInnis went down. Instead we nded up with the injured, enigmatic Hill who we ended up paying Carolina almost $2 million to take back in 2001-02 in exchange for Steven Halko (who?) and a 4th round pick (Robin Jonsson).

Rich Pilon....
Gusarov for Smrek... I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Smrek had potential. Going to the Rangers ruined him when they rushed him into the lineup and expected him to play at Brian Leetch's level.

I also like how people like to argue that we won the Tkachuk and Weight deals b/c we got the better player in the deal. In doing so we effectively traded away one complete line plus Taffe and a 1st round pick and have spent the last 3 years trying to recreate that line of 15-20 goal scorers. Granted, I'd have dealt Nagy and a 1st round pick or Taffe for Tkachuk, but IMO we grossly overpaid for Walt. I also wouldn't have dealt Hecht in the Weight deal - we could have shipped a mid-round pick (or Bartecko or Corso) instead. I know management wasn't happy with Hecht's work ethic, but no one pressed him on it. It was like he was supposed to know what they were thinking without the two sides talking to each other.

I also think had we been smart in negotiating contracts with Tkachuk and Weight, we would have had the money to keep a Stillman or a Rucinsky and would have had money to make a better upgrade at the trade deadline if we had needed it. But hey....I guess as long as we've got a potential All-Star line up front, who cares if we've got 6 slugs who are supposed to carry the scoring load behind those guys.

I'm in agreement with Lappy - I'm not excited about the playoffs this season. Unless the Blues make the CF (and even then they'll need to go up 3-0 or 3-1), I'm not holding out much faith in this team doing anything noticeable this postseason.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:28 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Mario Lemieux put up 54-53-107 in 1986-87 while flanked by goal-scoring phenomenons like Dan Quinn (31), Randy Cunneyworth (26) and Craig Simpson (26). The year before he posted 48-93-141 while playing with perennial snipers like Mike Bullard (41-42-83), Doug Shedden (32-34-66), and Terry Ruskowski (26-37-63). The point here is, as much as the "eliminate the only threat" argument makes sense when the guy is paired with 2 stiffs, Lemieux still managed to post big numbers while making his stiffs look like pretty good players. Weight hasn't done that.

Should management have done more to get (or keep) skilled wingers for Weight? Of course they should have....but if Weight was an "elite forward" he should at least be able to elevate the play of his wingers noticeably. He hasn't done that.
I think it's horrendously unfair to compare almost anyone, let alone Doug Weight, to Mario Lemieux. It's like comparing Woody Williams to Roger Clemens; one's a solid high quality starter, the other is one of the best in history (sorry, spring training fever takes over sometimes). While he's certainly not earning the $8.5M this season, it's tough to fault him for "making" the Blues take on such a contract.

Calling Weight an "elite forward", which I'm sure that I've done on occasion, is clearly a mistake, but to call him useless is equally as bad. As my dad used to say, "You can't make a good bottle of wine with one good grape". Weight's linemates have been nothing short of "craptastic" this year, and that's been the difference between the vintages rack and the clearance bin IMO, but I'm just beating a dead horse here.

Last edited by King of Stankonia: 04-02-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old
04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues

Okay, first of all, that was 20 years ago just about, a completely different era in hockey. Mario Lemieux could not put up those same numbers today with the defensive systems in place right now. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Besides, Dan Quinn was no slouch.

Secondly, it's freaking Mario Lemieux, one of the top 2 players of all time, compare just about anybody to him and their skills would pale in comparison. While I agree that an elite forward should make stiffs look like good players, you still need to give Weight something better than what he's had to work with. My point, his wingers last year weren't great(Stillman, Boguniecki, and sometimes Rucinsky), but they at least had soft hands. Stillman had a career year at that time(he's on another career year pace with Tampa), and Boguniecki had his first ultra successul NHL campaign. And of coruse Rucinsky and Weight were lgihts out in the playoffs last year. This year, none of his linemates have had soft hands, Valeri Bure would be a great asset right now, but I digress.

Closed Thread