HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather and Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Rangermon

vCash: 500
Sather and Leetch

Lots of Ranger fans think Sather didn't get nearly enough for Leetch. Knowing what you know now, if the trade were Leetch for:

Steen, Colaiacovo and 2 #1 picks would you still do the deal?

By the way, with the benefit of hindsight does any one still feel think that Ferguson overpaid?

Old
04-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangermon
Lots of Ranger fans think Sather didn't get nearly enough for Leetch. Knowing what you know now, if the trade were Leetch for:

By the way, with the benefit of hindsight does any one still feel think that Ferguson overpaid?

Overpaid?

Not sure I would do deal as you laid it out. Leetch is spectacular and the best we have had since Salming, but he is 36 and you would be getting teenagers in return.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:44 PM
BlueBlood17

Quote:

No way. I love Leetch and how he's played for us. That being said, it would still be absolutely crazy to trade our two blue-chip prospects AND two first rounders for a 36-year old player, no matter how good he is.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Stajan_Steen

Not in hell.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:

Thats basically trading four first round picks..............

Old
04-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Shawn

Quote:

Yeah um no.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:07 PM
leafaholix*

He's an amazing player, but I wouldn't do that deal... I wouldn't even move Colaiacovo and Steen alone for him, he is 36 years old.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:19 PM
MLSE

Quote:

I would be on a personal mission to assinate Fergusan if he did that deal.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
MLG Ghost

Quote:

I think we paid a fair price for Leetch. He's an amazing talent and he'll be a big help this year, but his career is winding down. History will remember him as being a Ranger and one day his banner will hang from the rafters of MSG.

Sather got a first rounder, albeit a late first rounder, a first rounder still, a decent young defensman, and a young forward who has a chance to play in the NHL. If he could have gotten more than he did, he would have. The deal works for both teams, the Leafs didn't get ripped off and he wasn't stolen from the Rangers.

Steen, Colaiacovo and two first round picks is something you pay for the Ovechkins of the world.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Snugglepuss

Steen, Cola, and 2 firsts?

No way! :lol

Old
04-01-2004, 09:51 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

plus leafs are picking up a huge salary

Old
04-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

You can't give up that much for a 36-year-old player.

It's not that Leetch isn't great, but we only have him for sure for one more year. You can't give up Steen, Cola, and 2 #1s for that reason alone.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:

Why oh why did I bother reading this!?!?!?

Old
04-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
One more first round pick and that's practically compensation for signing an RFA like Pronger, assuming a massive contract.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Oh dear God....

I'm going to have to ask Leaf fans over here to simply pay no mind to that...ahem..."trade". I love Leetch, but even most of us NYR fans down here realize that's insane.

I was asking myself earlier today actually kinda the same thing though...if Leaf fans knew what they do now about Brian Leetch, would you have been more willing to have made the trade involving Cola. NOT along the lines of the one up there, but if you just replaced Kondratiev with Cola, would the trade seem anymore fair now then it might've when the real trade went down?

*For the record, this is just an observational survey of mine. I'm happy with the return even though I still don't know too much about Jarkko Immonen at the moment.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Oh dear God....

I'm going to have to ask Leaf fans over here to simply pay no mind to that...ahem..."trade". I love Leetch, but even most of us NYR fans down here realize that's insane.

I was asking myself earlier today actually kinda the same thing though...if Leaf fans knew what they do now about Brian Leetch, would you have been more willing to have made the trade involving Cola. NOT along the lines of the one up there, but if you just replaced Kondratiev with Cola, would the trade seem anymore fair now then it might've when the real trade went down?

*For the record, this is just an observational survey of mine. I'm happy with the return even though I still don't know too much about Jarkko Immonen at the moment.
I would not sub Colaiacovo in the deal. Only way I'd add him would be if it was Colaiacovo for Leetch...straight up.

I think the return, as you said was fair, and that everyone just needs to realize that what's done is done, and it is a great trade both ways (if you guys are able to bring Kondratiev/Immonen over to America, as the claim is it's gonna be tough...)

Old
04-01-2004, 11:45 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Leetch for:

No way Jose. Leech if good for 2 more years Max, but most likely 1 more year. So to give all those players and picks for someone that will be with us 1 year and a couple of playoffs would be stupid.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Epoch

I would never do that deal.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:08 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
If he ever decides to move over to North America, you'll love him.

Amazing vision.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:31 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:

Good afternoon Mr. Sather..........

I'm sorry but the deal is done...........What's done is done...............and one more thing; "GO LEAFS GO!!!"

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-02-2004, 11:34 AM
monkey_00*

.............I just wanted to add that all that talk before of the Leafs possibly picking up Sergei Gonchar...I'm sure glad we picked up Brian Leetch instead........nothing against Gonchar he's one hell of a talent but so too is Leetch.....BUT, Leetch has something that Gonchar doesn't and that's a Stanley Cup ring..He's been 'there' before.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-02-2004, 11:37 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

hypothetically....what do you think the Rangers would offer to take Leetch back in the off season???

Old
04-02-2004, 11:44 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
hypothetically....what do you think the Rangers would offer to take Leetch back in the off season???
ACC1224.........

Do you actually think Leetch would want to go back?.........I know he loves it there in New York but what if he goes on to win the Stanley Cup here in Toronto?

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-02-2004, 11:53 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
ACC1224.........

Do you actually think Leetch would want to go back?.........I know he loves it there in New York but what if he goes on to win the Stanley Cup here in Toronto?

Cheers!~

monkey_00
I think he would like to retire there.

Closed Thread