Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tired of Waiting for Scotty and Teemu

Old
11-26-2007, 10:37 PM
High Glove

vCash: 500
Tired of Waiting for Scotty and Teemu

When Burkie first announced that Scotty and Teemu were mulling their respective options about this season, I was completely on board. After all they've done for us, especially last year, the least we could do was allow them time to decide their futures. Showing deference to two of the best players in team history was just the right thing to do.

But for me, the walking on eggshells routine is getting old. We won the Cup on June 6. That's almost six months ago. We're now a third of the way into the following season and the guys still have not announced their intentions. Patience is one thing, but blind allegiance is quite another.

It's not merely that I'm impatient. When I watch the Ducks this season, I get the distinct impression that they're trying to hold it together until reinforcements arrive. They look tentative. They look lost. They loook out of sorts. And every day there are new rumors about Teemu going to Montreal or Scotty going back to NJ and whatever BS the bloggers can conjure up. With every transaction Burke makes -- waiving Breezy, trading for Sutherby, extending Getzlaf -- fans find some way to twist it into a sign that one or both of the guys are coming back. "Maybe they'll be back at Christmas, or in January, or after this road trip." And so on.

The story is old and boring and pretty frustrating at this point.

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Tfighter

I think with the team we have now, we can go to the playoffs. If Scotty and Temmu do come back, all the better. Thats how i think of the situation. Waiting for the two stars to make their minds is downright too long and i wouldnt dwell too much into this.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:21 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

When training camp started and they weren't there, I decided I would assume they'd retired until proven otherwise. And since we had a budget, which falls short of the cap conveniently close to Scott's salary, I had no issues with his taking up cap space. Furthermore, Burke signed Bertuzzi to fill in for Selanne (at 2 million less I might add) and Schneider to fill in for Niedermayer (at 1 million less).

From Burke's standpoint, the team has moved on. Replacements have been signed, and the team should be able to compete as is. Yes offense is short, but that's beacuse Giguere got a big raise. Waiting for reinforcements is folly. What you're seeing is post-cup hangover more than "waiting for Scott and Teemu."

That said, it is quite the distraction that those 2 haven't officially announced retirement. Because of the constant media questions. But that's the price for keeping the door open for them to come back if they want.

And quite frankly, I'm not even sure I want Niedermayer back. His spot has been filled, and him returning would force Burke to make some moves, all of which I'm sure will lose asset-wise. If Selanne returned, that'd be better because Bertuzzi is much more capable of replacing Penner than he is of replacing Selanne.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Ducks

Either of them coming back at this point is a bonus. But I wouldn't be dissappointed if Niedermayer retires and we sign some offensive power instead.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Justarrived

I think we're going to see Scotty announce his "unretirement" a couple of weeks, what that does to the current roster is a toss up. Selanne I wouldn't count on so much, but either way this team needs to find a way to believe in themselves as is. They are professionals and need to play the game consistently like they are capable of. I'd really appreciate Scotty making an announcement that he's going to NOT play next year at th same time he announces he'll come back for the remainder of this one. That way we know that we can get Perry's contract signed and delivered before the dreaded offer sheets post July 1.

Justarrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justarrived View Post
I think we're going to see Scotty announce his "unretirement" a couple of weeks, what that does to the current roster is a toss up. Selanne I wouldn't count on so much, but either way this team needs to find a way to believe in themselves as is. They are professionals and need to play the game consistently like they are capable of. I'd really appreciate Scotty making an announcement that he's going to NOT play next year at th same time he announces he'll come back for the remainder of this one. That way we know that we can get Perry's contract signed and delivered before the dreaded offer sheets post July 1.
Wouldn't that be nice, if he actually thought of someone besides himself?

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
I'm sure he's probably coming back at this point. If he isn't then he's being selfish waiting this long to just say "no". I think if he waits to make an announcement right before he actually returns to the ice then we don't have to pay him as much. That's certainly not selfish, but we will just have to wait and see what he does. I think most assume this will be his last year regardless, but again nobody is 100%.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:03 PM
thrillhous

They need to cut the **** and make up their minds. If they have made up their minds they should announce their intentions.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
The guy is giving up millions of dollars right now, in what may be part of some giant master plan to create an even better team than last season for another Cup run. Seems rather unselfish.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:00 PM
treybrown

Send a message via AIM to treybrown
I still think Scotty is coming back soon. Very soon I think!
I agree that this story is getting old, and I'm sick on hearing about it. The Ducks are trying to get it together, and I think there going to start to win more and more games. There just losing 3rd peroid's of there games. Thats killking them! But the fact is that this story of Scotty and Teemu plays like a weight on the team.

treybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Kick Save

Excellent post, High Glove. This endless waiting has grown quite tedious. As you know, though, Scottie's situation and Teemu's are different: Teemu is no longer under contract; Scottie is.

As far as I can tell, there are only two possible explanations:

1. Niedermayer---and, to a lesser extent, Teemu-- is extremely self-centered and doesn't care the impact of his indecision on the Ducks.

2. The whole thing has been orchestrated so that the Ducks can keep Bertuzzi and Schneider and still have room to activate Scottie and/or sign Teemu for, say, one-half (or so) of their yearly contracts. (I admit that this is a very cynical view, but Burke is a creative guy and wouldn't be afraid to bend the rules a bit to maximize the team's effectiveness.)

I understand why guys want a month or two to bask in the wake of their hard-earned win of the sporting world's most-coveted trophy. But surely it can't take these guys almost six months to make up their minds. Both should be financially set for life with dozens of job opportunities open to them that the average person could only dream of.

If it is some sort of ruse to skirt the budgetary constraints currently in place, you can bet that (1) a number of GMs will be howling and (2) there will be a movement afoot to eradicate this loophole.

I think the talk of "Cup hangover" is silly. We lost a whole lot of firepower: Teemu's 48 goals; Penner's 29; plus Scottie's (the precise number of which escapes me right now). Further, as everyone knows, Scottie is a great skater, terrific defensively and a "presence" in the dressing room.

I know that we signed Bertuzzi and Schneider, but (1) both have been injured for a good portion of the year and (2) neither is equal to the guy he is supposed to be replacing. And let's not forget Penner's contributions.

What other team in the league could lose one of the best d-men in the NHL (and the team's Captain) and it's top two leading goal scorers and be no worse for the wear?

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Lyons71

As much as Niedermayer is sucking right now, I don't think Selanne has done anything wrong. He isn't under any type of contract.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:15 PM
High Glove

If Burke's mandate as GM is to "manage" the team, his "management" of this situation is, by all visible and logical measures, pretty poor. His incessant mantra about giving 8 and 27 whatever time they need in order to make their decisions about coming back was fine at first, but now it smacks of indecisiveness on HIS part, not just theirs. Why has he NOT given them a deadline? Why has he permitted this charade to dominate almost every discussion about the Ducks this season? Who's in charge here?

I remember that when Hank Samueli announced the signing of Burke as GM, the Vancouver fans stormed onto this board to warn us that for every time Burke pulled off a miracle (see: signing Scotty in the first place), there would be another time that he would cause us to pull our hair out. For me, this is the clearest manifestation yet of the latter.

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:25 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

If Burke gave them an ultimatum to decide than they would have retired, period. At least this way they have the time to decide if they may want to come back which would be a bonus for us. Both of their spots were replaced and we're not currently paying Scotty anything at the moment. So what's the big deal? They basically don't belong to this team right now and at any given moment they can change that and make our team better. Those two are KEY reasons why we won the Cup. I toiled being a Ducks fan too long not to appreciate the accomplishment they made for us and I'm not going to berate them or Burke for this situation. They can take all year if they want to. We have a very talented roster that is capable of winning a lot of games. Those 20+ guys can get it done, Scotty and Teemu aren't the problem here.

Furthermore I'd like to echo Lyon's sentiments about Teemu. The guy isn't under contract so he can do what he wants. His spot was filled and that's that. If he decides to come back obviously Burkie will make space for him but by no means is he doing anything detrimental to this hockey club.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Finnish Flasher

According to Finnish newspaper Iltasanomat, Teemu will wait his wife to deliver their 4th kid, until he decides his career continual. Expected time of arrival is within 4 weeks, but the actual decision will come January.

url to source (in Finnish):
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1462222

Finnish Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

I can understand your frustration with Nieds, but Teemu has no obligation to the team or even to return to hockey. He's a FA.

And if what the above poster said is true about Teemu and his new baby, I'm guessing that he isn't returning. How many times has Teemu mentioned that the reason he's contemplating retirement is to spend more time with his family, and to be there when his kids grow up. Well, one more baby is on the way and this may be Teemu's time to be in this baby's life, 24/7, from day 1.

I honestly wouldn't hold my breath for Teemu's return.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Flasher View Post
According to Finnish newspaper Iltasanomat, Teemu will wait his wife to deliver their 4th kid, until he decides his career continual. Expected time of arrival is within 4 weeks, but the actual decision will come January.

url to source (in Finnish):
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1462222
Thank you!

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
heyfolks

I am not a cap guru, but how do they bring back Scott N. with the current cap limit? Don't they have to dump salary toadd him? If he does comeback, doesn't that put them at the limit and thus eliminate any hope for Teemu to return? Rumors on other threads, for other teams, are crazy. O'Donnell gone or even Beauchemin. I can see O but no way Beauchemin leaves this team. Yet even with O gone it doesn't seem to make enough space. Schneider would seem the best bet to add space, but where? The Canes? Rangers? does he have a no trade?

I think signing Bertuzzi was a big mistake. He makes the same amount as penner would have. Yes, both over paid but at least Dustin was in every game, scored and had chemistry with Perry and Getz.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfolks View Post
I am not a cap guru, but how do they bring back Scott N. with the current cap limit? Don't they have to dump salary toadd him? If he does comeback, doesn't that put them at the limit and thus eliminate any hope for Teemu to return? Rumors on other threads, for other teams, are crazy. O'Donnell gone or even Beauchemin. I can see O but no way Beauchemin leaves this team. Yet even with O gone it doesn't seem to make enough space. Schneider would seem the best bet to add space, but where? The Canes? Rangers? does he have a no trade?
Scott's full salary is already included in the salary cap totals. Nobody needs to go anywhere to have him play this season. Next season, if Scott returns, we will have trouble resigning Corey Perry under the salary cap, but this season we are in no salary cap trouble.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Duck View Post
Scott's full salary is already included in the salary cap totals. Nobody needs to go anywhere to have him play this season. Next season, if Scott returns, we will have trouble resigning Corey Perry under the salary cap, but this season we are in no salary cap trouble.
I have heard that that is incorrect. Apparently someone said that there is something new in the CBA that you can't have players on your team if its over the cap for next season. I think I saw it on spectors or something.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Apparently Teemu and his wife had a baby girl today. That's good for them. When his wife's pregnant, I can't fault Teemu for not signing yet. It's just great for Scotty to come back and maybe Teemu too.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote