HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sportsnet's John Garrett on playoff goalies

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 11:58 AM
ehc73

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Sportsnet's John Garrett on playoff goalies

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...402_093411_376

We all know John Garrett is a pretty big Canucks homer, and, as a former goalie, tends to focus too much on the feats of goaltenders than the game. However, he has some good points in this article, and IMO, has them pretty much bang on. Hopefully this won't turn into some kind of Turco/Kipprusoff debate.

Weird quote:
Quote:
80 per cent of goaltending is 90 per cent mental, especially in the playoffs.
Thoughts?

Old
04-02-2004, 12:10 PM
HellsBells

It will turn into a Turco/Kipper debate if anyone calls Kiprusoff a 3rd string goalie or a career back-up again.

Anyway, Garrett does have some good points in that article. The goaltending situation in the West should be fun to watch as nobody has any experience except for Osgood.

The rest have proven nothing in the playoffs. Absolutely nothing.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
It will turn into a Turco/Kipper debate if anyone calls Kiprusoff a 3rd string goalie or a career back-up again.

Anyway, Garrett does have some good points in that article. The goaltending situation in the West should be fun to watch as nobody has any experience except for Osgood.

The rest have proven nothing in the playoffs. Absolutely nothing.
Or if a Flames fan again tries to claim Kipper is the best goalie in the West? The guy has barely played a full season worth of games over his entire NHL career (84 GP).

I think we can find a happy medium here.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Not true... Joseph has won series by himself and guided the leafs to 2 CF's.

I say Joseph is the best goalie in the West right now... after that it's a toss up cause Kipper has done nothing, Clouts does have a series win, but monumental meltdown's, Turco did not step up when needed, and Aebby isn't called the swiss miss for no reason. Then there is Nabakov, and we've seen his story before.

Right now my money is on the Wings. Joseph is the man.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:27 PM
leafaholix*

I hate John Garrett.

He was being such a baby on trade deadline day.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I hate John Garrett.

He was being such a baby on trade deadline day.
Wow... how long did it take you to come up with that well thought out and hard to argue comment?

Old
04-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
Or if a Flames fan again tries to claim Kipper is the best goalie in the West? The guy has barely played a full season worth of games over his entire NHL career (84 GP).
Well it'd be pretty hard to argue that he wasn't one of the top couple goalies in the west THIS YEAR.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:37 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast

I think we can find a happy medium here.
Here we go again. Did I call Kipper the best goalie in the West ?? NO !! So why reply to me with this crap.

Anyway, I don't care how much experience he has, I'd take him any day of the week over Cloutier.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Wow... how long did it take you to come up with that well thought out and hard to argue comment?
As long as it took you to come up with that sarcastic reply.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
As long as it took you to come up with that sarcastic reply.
LOL

Old
04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
FLAMESFAN

I think people put too much stock into playoff experience for goalies. While I'll agree, it does help alot - it isn't the all deciding factor. One goalie could have all the experience in the world, but be at the end of his career and consequently not quite as good as he was before. Goalies have gone in before with no experience and taken their teams to the cup. Perfect example: 1985-86. Two rookie goalies (Vernon and Roy) battle it out for the cup. Another example: Giguere last year.
There are plenty more. Too many people think that just because a goalie has not won a playoff series yet, that their team won't go anywhere. All I have to say to these people is: You have to win your first series sometime!

Old
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
I think people put too much stock into playoff experience for goalies. While I'll agree, it does help alot - it isn't the all deciding factor. One goalie could have all the experience in the world, but be at the end of his career and consequently not quite as good as he was before. Goalies have gone in before with no experience and taken their teams to the cup. Perfect example: 1985-86. Two rookie goalies (Vernon and Roy) battle it out for the cup. Another example: Giguere last year.
There are plenty more. Too many people think that just because a goalie has not won a playoff series yet, that their team won't go anywhere. All I have to say to these people is: You have to win your first series sometime!
I think it's more of the contenders having goalies that aren't "proven". Look at Dallas with Turco(only won one playoff series but to be fair, he's only started one year of playoffs), Detroit with Legace(hasn't even played a full playoff game, unless CuJo comes back he's the starter), Philly with Esche(again, not even a full playoff game), Colorado with Aeibischer(also not a full game). Then you have highly ranked teams that have goalies with something to prove. Look no further than Vancouver with Cloutier, Ottawa with Lalime, Tampa Bay with Khabibulin.
Sure guys have to win a series sometime, but usually that's done when they're on a team that hasn't been stacked and expected to win it all.

PS: Thanks for getting this thread back on track.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Well it'd be pretty hard to argue that he wasn't one of the top couple goalies in the west THIS YEAR.
37 games does not a season (or an 'nhl year' if you will) make. In my opinion Calgary and Boston are in almost the exact same goaltending situation. Had Kipper played Raycrofts amount of games I'd wager they'd have similar stats. And about the same amount of playoff experience. (random banana)

37 games is just such a small relative number to say...62 or something...I don't think you can really draw a comparison. Which is why I don't think Kipper is going to get a lot of Vezina consideration. He's been impressive though.

As far as Garrett's article goes he's pretty bang on, but they aren't exactly subtle observations. I mean, it's pretty much black and white as far as Western goalies go. All are either unproven completely or have something to prove. He does a good job of breaking down the east as well.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Not true... Joseph has won series by himself and guided the leafs to 2 CF's.

I say Joseph is the best goalie in the West right now... after that it's a toss up cause Kipper has done nothing, Clouts does have a series win, but monumental meltdown's, Turco did not step up when needed, and Aebby isn't called the swiss miss for no reason. Then there is Nabakov, and we've seen his story before.

Right now my money is on the Wings. Joseph is the man.
I would agree if I thought Cujo was healthy. But I don't. He can't even push off w/ his ankle (according to and espn comentator last night during the Wings/Blues game).

I think Legacy will be in net for Detroit come the playoffs (at least 1st round).

Closed Thread