HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

TSN: Niedermayer likely back; Ducks will trade a defenseman, Burke presser 6:30 PST

Old
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Exactly. Trading Beauchemin makes zero sense for the Ducks. I'm sure we'd see Burke waive Marchant or move Andy McDonald before he'd move Beauchemin for anything short of an overpayment.
Makes no sense to move a younger and cheaper asset who holds just as much value to the team as he does in a trade.

Quote:
That said, I think there'd be a market for Schneider if he was moved for cheap or if the Ducks sweetened the offer a bit. There were other teams interested in him during the summer and I'm sure some of those teams would still have some interest now.
I totally agree, and I think the Rangers would be one of the the teams that would be in the running, if Mara/Malik were to go the other way and the cost wasn't too expensive.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I totally agree, and I think the Rangers would be one of the the teams that would be in the running, if Mara/Malik were to go the other way and the cost wasn't too expensive.
Ideally I think Burke would like to hang onto Schneider and move Marchant and maybe something smaller to get under the cap but if that is not feasible I think a deal involving Mara and Schneider could be doable. Gives the Rangers a solid top pairing d-man who can QB their PP and gives the Ducks a decent 4th/5th d-man while more importantly sheds over $2.5M this season and close to $6M for next.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
The Ducks don't have until the deadline to make a move to get in compliance to get Niedermayer back on the roster. If you're suggesting this move comes on top of the ones they make to get in compliance, it's not exactly a dream scenario we're talking about.
The Ducks have to make moves to get Scott back on the roster? I thought the tagging room thing wasn't true?

Anyway, like Seph said, I wouldn't doubt that Burke and Schneider had a hand-shake agreement to deal him if Scott returned, but, I don't believe it's the case. If there are no issues the Ducks have to deal with, they can have the best blueline we've seen in years for this year and have Schneider replace Scotty next year when he likely retires. If Scotty makes it quite clear he'll live out his contract, though, I can see Schneider being dealt, but not in some of these proposals. Schneider isn't that expensive compared to the alternatives, and his deal expires fairly quickly. He's had injuries, but most of the games he's missed were due to a broken ankle or whatever, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Ducks

Schneider is staying, and with him staying the Ducks will have the most talented defense in the NHL.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Street Hawk

Tagging

I haven't gone through the entire thread here, only the first 3 pages, but it appears that this "Tagging" issue needs some clarification. This is the first time I've heard of this myself.

I was watching the Spin on the Score.ca tonight, and they had Ian Pulver, a player agent, who used to work for the NHLPA and he explained Tagging as something the owners put into the CBA to ensure that a Team could not load up one year with players with multi-year contracts only move those players in the summer.

Basically, the Ducks are fine cap wise this season. That's not the issue. They can bring S. Niedermayer back and be under the $50.5 million dollar cap. The issue is the 2008-2009 season, where as it stands right now, the Ducks have over $50.5 million committed to players (This would include S. Niedermayer's contract). If the Ducks had not signed Getzlaf to his extension, it's possible they would not have this issue of Tagging. However, getting Getzlaf signed was the right move for the franchise. Unlike the rule for the summer, where a team could be 10% over the cap (ie. be at $55 million), that is not permitted before July 1. As a result, Burke needs to move a player who has a contract for the 2008-2009 season so that he can bring the Ducks "Expected" cap hit next season below the $50.5 million cap.

As for what other teams would be willing to deal, well, since there have been no meaningful deals made this year, who really knows what other teams are prepared to offer for players like Schneider etc. How many teams are either near the cap or near their self imposed cap this year? As well, Burke can only take back a high priced player who does not have a contract for next season.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:57 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

We'll give you Fedorov back if you give us Beauchemin back.

...oh wait, you're not at the cap floor, are you?

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Blue Sur

An ideal solution to resolve Burke's D dilemma: Pronger to the Blues in exchange for Jackman. 6.25m-2.2m. One cross-checker for another, and a BC boy to boot.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 03:31 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sur View Post
An ideal solution to resolve Burke's D dilemma: Pronger to the Blues in exchange for Jackman. 6.25m-2.2m. One cross-checker for another, and a BC boy to boot.
No. Pronger, Bobby Ryan, 4 1sts, for Eric Brewer.

The Blues MIGHT add a 6th, if Burke grovels hard enough when he's begging for Brewer.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote