HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8, Part V

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2007, 07:49 AM
  #276
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
I'd do Detroit/Wanderers unless someone else wants it

Might be short if I get busy Tuesday

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 10:39 PM
  #277
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
I probably won't be around until tomorrow night so my votes are in. Good luck to everybody still in, and let's keep the discussions going.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
  #278
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
Writer - Series
raleh - Aurora - NY Rangers
MXD - Devils - Guelph
Sturminator - Canadiens - Seattle
Transported Caper - Halifax - NY Raiders
Nalyd Psycho - Naniamo - Boston
Jungosi - Oakland - Dubai
shawnmullin - Detroit - Wanderers

Gwinnett - Victoria - Unless we hear from John Flyers Fan or cottonking today I'll send this to VanIslander.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
  #279
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Writer - Series
raleh - Aurora - NY Rangers
MXD - Devils - Guelph
Sturminator - Canadiens - Seattle
Transported Caper - Halifax - NY Raiders
Nalyd Psycho - Naniamo - Boston
Jungosi - Oakland - Dubai
shawnmullin - Detroit - Wanderers

Gwinnett - Victoria - Unless we hear from John Flyers Fan or cottonking today I'll send this to VanIslander.
Perfect.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 10:14 PM
  #280
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
Well the deadline has passed, and less than half the GMs have voted, but I'm sending the results to the writers tonight.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
  #281
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Well the deadline has passed, and less than half the GMs have voted, but I'm sending the results to the writers tonight.
That's unfortunate. I'd rather people not vote than just throwing together rankings for the sake of voting, but at the same time, with the amount of time people have invested into the draft it'd be nice to have a bigger turnout.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 10:37 PM
  #282
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
That's unfortunate. I'd rather people not vote than just throwing together rankings for the sake of voting, but at the same time, with the amount of time people have invested into the draft it'd be nice to have a bigger turnout.
I agree. I think it's time for voting to become mandatory for GMs to continue to participate in the draft.

Guys will be on vacation, and busy with the typical pace of the Christmas season. But we're all busy. We all have lots going on. If you have Internet access over the last three days, you should have been able to vote.

It's too bad that some GMs might lose their series because half the GMs didn't vote.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
  #283
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I agree. I think it's time for voting to become mandatory for GMs to continue to participate in the draft.

Guys will be on vacation, and busy with the typical pace of the Christmas season. But we're all busy. We all have lots going on. If you have Internet access over the last three days, you should have been able to vote.

It's too bad that some GMs might lose their series because half the GMs didn't vote.
I'm an idiot guys. I forget that I live out west sometimes because I'm so used to being an easterner.

As a result I thought I had until midnight tonight.

If I could still submit my results I would.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 11:27 PM
  #284
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Not that it's relevant to this draft, but Joe Thornton has actually been putting the biscuit in the basket pretty well this year. He's shooting much more aggressively of late, and is on pace for about 35 goals, I think, which is a lot for him.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 02:09 AM
  #285
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Well the deadline has passed, and less than half the GMs have voted, but I'm sending the results to the writers tonight.
I find this very disappointing considering that counting co-gms in Seattle, Halifax and Oakland (all of whom presumably voted) we still have about half of the league GMs with active teams, and I'm certain that a couple of eliminated GMs (MXD, at the very least) and maybe a couple of former GMs have voted, as well. I can forgive timezone mixups, but it appears that a few of the eliminated GMs have simply stopped coming to the board and contributing to the playoff process in any way, whatsoever.

Even if you don't have time to write long-winded comments on every series, taking a team in this draft is a committment that doesn't end until after game seven of the finals. Of course, the problem is: what solution have we got? Contraction? It'll be hours of fun for the whole family deciding which GMs are and are not allowed to participate in future drafts based on participation records. Ugh...hopefully we can do better in the conference finals.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
  #286
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Coming into this draft, I thought we had a mandatory voting clause for all participating GM's. I thought we discussed it last time...or was it in the last minor league draft?

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
  #287
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Coming into this draft, I thought we had a mandatory voting clause for all participating GM's. I thought we discussed it last time...or was it in the last minor league draft?
It's been discussed since we implemented the playoff format (I think VanI and I were the only proponents of it in ATD 6), but I'll be making that motion for the next draft.

There are some GMs whose HF commitment basically extends to this draft, and haven't been on-line since they were eliminated. And I can understand that every GM might not be able to vote on every round. Especially at this time of year. But when half the GMs vote, that's disappointing.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
  #288
BlueBleeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Looking for others
Country: United States
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
I missed voting for rankings (thought I had until later that night), put in my votes for both rounds of playoffs though.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
  #289
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,922
vCash: 500
Jim Robson and Bob Cole divisional finals have begun!

The other two divisions will start the next round of analysis tomorrow.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
  #290
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
That's unfortunate. I'd rather people not vote than just throwing together rankings for the sake of voting, but at the same time, with the amount of time people have invested into the draft it'd be nice to have a bigger turnout.
I have to come out and admit that I never voted, but I've been too busy to actually research players and matchups, etc. I'll definitely put in a better effort next series, and I think voting for at least half of the series' should be mandatory...personally, I know I don't have nearly enough time during the winter (school, winter sports) to be able to do proper research and such on every series.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 05:29 PM
  #291
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
...I've been too busy to actually research players and matchups, etc.
The only research needed is reading the match-up thread posts! Seriously. That is a good minimum. Each competing g.m. highlights his team's strengths with respect to the match-up. Analysis in the conversation stage ought to do 90% of the work.

By the time of voting it should take no more than 15-20 minutes per series to decide on the winner and the three stars.

That is certainly enough!

Put aside ONE HOUR and get it ALL done guys! Two hours tops if you want to do extra research (though any extra research should have been done earlier and shared with others on the thread!).

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
  #292
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The only research needed is reading the match-up thread posts! Seriously. That is a good minimum. Each competing g.m. highlights his team's strengths with respect to the match-up. Analysis in the conversation stage ought to do 90% of the work.

By the time of voting it should take no more than 15-20 minutes per series to decide on the winner and the three stars.

That is certainly enough!

Put aside ONE HOUR and get it ALL done guys! Two hours tops if you want to do extra research (though any extra research should have been done earlier and shared with others on the thread!).
Hmm. Only thing is, I'd rather not vote then spending a little bit of time, and voting on the opinions of others. I want to vote on MY opinion.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:41 PM
  #293
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of upsets so far. Out of the eight teams remaining, we have four #1s, three #2s and one #3.

I know it's the same GMs voting on the regular season standings and the playoff results, but I'd think that some factors would cause people to vote for the lower seed on occasion (i.e. relative strengths/weaknesses of the teams in a matchups, regular season vs. playoff-oriented teams, GMs changing their minds, etc.).

With that said, I hope the trend of the favourite winning at least applies to my series .

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
  #294
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of upsets so far. Out of the eight teams remaining, we have four #1s, three #2s and one #3.

I know it's the same GMs voting on the regular season standings and the playoff results, but I'd think that some factors would cause people to vote for the lower seed on occasion (i.e. relative strengths/weaknesses of the teams in a matchups, regular season vs. playoff-oriented teams, GMs changing their minds, etc.).

With that said, I hope the trend of the favourite winning at least applies to my series .
I was thinking the same thing, especially with the parity in many of the divisons. I've definitely had more upsets in my rankings than there have been so far.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:47 PM
  #295
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Speaking of all the top seeds still remaining, how is home ice advantage settled between equally seeded teams?

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 06:54 AM
  #296
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Speaking of all the top seeds still remaining, how is home ice advantage settled between equally seeded teams?
By ranking vote totals.

1 Aurora
2 New Jersey
3 Canadiens
4 Detroit
5 Nanaimo
6 Oakland
7 Halifax
8 Victoria

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
  #297
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
By ranking vote totals.

1 Aurora
2 New Jersey
3 Canadiens
4 Detroit
5 Nanaimo
6 Oakland
7 Halifax
8 Victoria
Interesting that the first 2 seeds are from the Cherry div. Does that mean these 2 teams blew their div away wheras the vote was much closer in the other 3 divs?

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 08:52 AM
  #298
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
The gap from 1st to 5th in the Cherry was bigger than the gap from 1st to 7th in the Hewitt. The gap between 1st and 3rd was about the same as a couple of other divisions, but the gap from 2nd to 3rd was much bigger. Aurora got more 1st place votes than any other team, and NJ got more 2nd place votes.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
  #299
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
The gap from 1st to 5th in the Cherry was bigger than the gap from 1st to 7th in the Hewitt. The gap between 1st and 3rd was about the same as a couple of other divisions, but the gap from 2nd to 3rd was much bigger. Aurora got more 1st place votes than any other team, and NJ got more 2nd place votes.
Thanks, the seeding now makes sense although it destroys my illusion that the Cherry division was competitive. It looks like 3 to 7 were not anywhere close to being competitive with 1 & 2.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 09:59 AM
  #300
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
By ranking vote totals.

1 Aurora
2 New Jersey
3 Canadiens
4 Detroit
5 Nanaimo
6 Oakland
7 Halifax
8 Victoria
So it's essentially the same as the NHL system, in which regular season record is the first tiebreaker between equally seeded teams in the Cup Finals. That's what I assumed the answer would be, but thanks for the clarification.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.