HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stickhandling practice in the house, garage, basement...

Old
12-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Voda

vCash: 500
stickhandling practice in the house, garage, basement...

i was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on stickhandling practice and what i may construct that would as closely as possible replicate a puck on ice. i have seen those flat white boards with bungee cords that you can stickhandle on and bounce the puck off to practice with, but i have read about them not being very similar to an actual puck on ice.

i play in an adult league and a teammate of mine said to take a large piece of cardboard, spray paint it silver, and then cover it with wd-40 and it was JUST like a puck on ice. i haven't tried this as i was hoping to make something out of wood that was more permanent. ideally, i'm hoping to construct something that's approx. 3 feet X 5 feet and i can lift and store up against a wall in my basement.

anyone have any ideas at all that you (or your dad's) have built? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Voda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
SSM12

I cut open the coardboard box my skates came in and use that on my dorm floor. It works well. WD 40 may work better though as far as simulating ice goes

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Phoenix

i practise on tiles which is great although there's not much room where my tiles are. But then its the flattest area I have.
It leaves tape marks on them though much to the dislike of my parents.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 08:54 AM
CN7hockey

I purchased a smooth white paneling board from the local building supply/home improvement company. It is basically the product used on shower or laundry room walls. It's very light weight and cheap!!! I had the salesperson cut it in half. One word of caution...don't oil down the entire board. The center strip and distant edge are sufficient.
I have also used a heavier board when practicing on the driveway. Can't remember the name of the product but found it at the home improvement center near the lumber section. It feels more like a stiff synthetic rubber; it's black and about 3/8" thick: comes in sheets of 4'x6' or 3'x4'. It holds up really well but is heavier to move around.

CN7hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Icer

Skill Pad

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Voda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN7hockey View Post
I purchased a smooth white paneling board from the local building supply/home improvement company. It is basically the product used on shower or laundry room walls. It's very light weight and cheap!!! I had the salesperson cut it in half. One word of caution...don't oil down the entire board. The center strip and distant edge are sufficient.
I have also used a heavier board when practicing on the driveway. Can't remember the name of the product but found it at the home improvement center near the lumber section. It feels more like a stiff synthetic rubber; it's black and about 3/8" thick: comes in sheets of 4'x6' or 3'x4'. It holds up really well but is heavier to move around.
this is along the same lines i was thinking. thanks for the info. i will scout out the building materials section at my nearest Lowes and see what i can come up with. what type of oil did you use? neatsfoot? baby? motor?

Voda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
For stickhandling, you can always try the SmartHockey ball, which is meant to have the same bounce and movement of a hockey puck on ice.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
windflare

I use a Millenium ProPuck (the one that slides real well on asphalt but not on smooth concrete) and a smart hockey ball in a tiled room in my basement. For some reason, the puck works just awesome on there - as close to ice as I can get. I think the un-even texture of the tiles (sort of like smoother asphalt) helps, whereas smooth concrete/smooth tiles are too 'sticky' for the bigger feet of the ProPuck.

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Smart Hockey ball and a golf ball. The Smart Hockey ball has the weight of a puck and the golf ball is really bouncy and makes your hands even softer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Smart Hockey ball and a golf ball. The Smart Hockey ball has the weight of a puck and the golf ball is really bouncy and makes your hands even softer.
So if you could make a golf ball heavier, it'd be the best?
On that note, what surface would a golf ball work well with? Concrete? Tile?

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 07:33 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i used to use a giant bouncy balls i bought from the dollar store, you know like those ones in vending machines in malls, the are awesome for getting softer hands

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Nosebleed Section

Stuff they make rinkboards from is great, you can ask around at rinks and they might have some excess lying around you could take or buy.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:49 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
So if you could make a golf ball heavier, it'd be the best?
On that note, what surface would a golf ball work well with? Concrete? Tile?
Actually, the lightness of the golf ball is good. The stickhandling ball is the heavy as a puck one, and that helps you with strength and coordination. The golf ball helps out with your reaction, speed, even more coordination, and soft hands - i.e. the feel.

And golf balls work well on tiles, though I imagine that they won't work bad on concrete as well. I haven't tried the golfball in my garage yet, but it works on the tiles I have.

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:46 PM
rye&ginger

Fiberglass sheets work well too. Shoudl be able to get some from buildiing supply stores.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote