HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Can someone give me periodic updates on these guys?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2003, 02:28 PM
  #1
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Can someone give me periodic updates on these guys?

Kevin Spiewak (South Carolina)
Jake Moreland (Atlantic City)
Troy Milam (Gwinnett)
B. J. Abel (San Diego)
Peter Runkel and Chris Gobert (Idaho)

I saw all of these guys play in their college days and I really liked these guys in college and want to be able to keep up with their pro careers as well. Anyone who can keep me posted on what these guys are doing with their respective teams, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 04:18 PM
  #2
canadahockeygirl*
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: over the rainbow
Country: Ghana
Posts: 11,068
vCash: 500
I'm going to add on to this request. If anyone catches any of these guys can you pass on information?

Jim Lorentz (So Carolina)
Robin Carruthers (Columbia)
Blair Clarence (Columbia)
Derek Gustafson (Louisiana)
Jason Wolfe (Roanoke)
Ray DiLauro (Columbus)
Dan Lombard (Florence)

canadahockeygirl* is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
  #3
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
I'll definately see these two a lot:

Troy Milam (Gwinnett)
Ray DiLauro (Columbus)

And these will be frequent opponents.
Kevin Spiewak (South Carolina)
Jim Lorentz (So Carolina)
Robin Carruthers (Columbia)
Blair Clarence (Columbia)
Derek Gustafson (Louisiana)
Jason Wolfe (Roanoke)
Dan Lombard (Florence)

I will probably need prompting though.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
  #4
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Peter Runkel and Chris Gobert (Idaho)
Unless plans change, i'm going to the game on saturday night. I'll try to find what number jerseys they were and keep an eye on em for you.

* - I just looked at their information on the steelheads site and wow, "Gobert was awarded Most Valuable Player, 2002-03, and was the teamís alternate captain. He was also named to the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) All-Academic Team"

You have to realize here in Idaho last few years in the WCHL was nice but not very exciting hockey, especially since most the players really had no shot at the NHL... now though, this is going to be so exciting to have younger players who work hard and have more skill

golfmade is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 04:26 AM
  #5
canadahockeygirl*
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: over the rainbow
Country: Ghana
Posts: 11,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
I'll definately see these two a lot:

Troy Milam (Gwinnett)
Ray DiLauro (Columbus)

And these will be frequent opponents.
Kevin Spiewak (South Carolina)
Jim Lorentz (So Carolina)
Robin Carruthers (Columbia)
Blair Clarence (Columbia)
Derek Gustafson (Louisiana)
Jason Wolfe (Roanoke)
Dan Lombard (Florence)

I will probably need prompting though.
Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it. I try to keep tabs on guys that I either went to school with or know, but unfortunately they play too far away to see with my own eyes.

canadahockeygirl* is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 07:52 AM
  #6
fan mao rong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: port royal , pa
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Kevin Spiewak (South Carolina)
Jake Moreland (Atlantic City)
Troy Milam (Gwinnett)
B. J. Abel (San Diego)
Peter Runkel and Chris Gobert (Idaho)

I saw all of these guys play in their college days and I really liked these guys in college and want to be able to keep up with their pro careers as well. Anyone who can keep me posted on what these guys are doing with their respective teams, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
B.J.Abel is a member of the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL). He was signed to a Phantoms contract after their training camp. So far it looks like he will play as a Phantom for the season. Keeping Abel necessitated the Flyers assigning draft choice Matthew Brunelle to the Trenton Titans so it may have surprised some. Abel scored well in the preseason and has played well in the 3 games the Phantoms have played with I believe a goal and some assists.

fan mao rong is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 11:29 AM
  #7
goteam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Paraguay
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
Robin Carruthers (Columbia)
I'm going to echo that request for myself........as well can i add another?:
Chris Barr (Florence)

goteam is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 01:19 PM
  #8
canadahockeygirl*
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: over the rainbow
Country: Ghana
Posts: 11,068
vCash: 500
Does anyone know if Brandon Dietrich is still playing? Last year he started with Reading and ended up in Manchester (AHL), but I have yet to see his name anywhere this season.

canadahockeygirl* is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 01:33 PM
  #9
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
Does anyone know if Brandon Dietrich is still playing? Last year he started with Reading and ended up in Manchester (AHL), but I have yet to see his name anywhere this season.
Yes, he played at the Thrashers prospect tournament, came to training camp, and has now found a home with affiliate Gwinnett (ECHL). I saw him play a preseason game last week.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 09:25 PM
  #10
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Unless plans change, i'm going to the game on saturday night. I'll try to find what number jerseys they were and keep an eye on em for you.

* - I just looked at their information on the steelheads site and wow, "Gobert was awarded Most Valuable Player, 2002-03, and was the teamís alternate captain. He was also named to the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) All-Academic Team"

You have to realize here in Idaho last few years in the WCHL was nice but not very exciting hockey, especially since most the players really had no shot at the NHL... now though, this is going to be so exciting to have younger players who work hard and have more skill

Hobert is a terrific offensive talent, who possesses some soft hands and is an excellent skater. I wouldn't necessarily call him a "finesse" player though because he's not afraid of the physical play and doesn't seem to mind getting into it either.

Peter Runkel is a Dman who played at Mankato State last season. An excellent stay-at-home defenceman who's quite good one-on-one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
B.J.Abel is a member of the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL). He was signed to a Phantoms contract after their training camp. So far it looks like he will play as a Phantom for the season. Keeping Abel necessitated the Flyers assigning draft choice Matthew Brunelle to the Trenton Titans so it may have surprised some. Abel scored well in the preseason and has played well in the 3 games the Phantoms have played with I believe a goal and some assists.
Thanks for the update on Abel. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me periodic progress reports on him. He was very good at Mankato State and IMHO one of the most underrated players in the WCHA last season.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 07:36 AM
  #11
fan mao rong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: port royal , pa
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick




Thanks for the update on Abel. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me periodic progress reports on him. He was very good at Mankato State and IMHO one of the most underrated players in the WCHA last season.
Since I don't get to see the PHANTOMS that often in person I do most of the monitoring on www.phantomshockey.com they've had quite alot on B.J. Abel there. There is a feature I like in the photo gallery that's shows pictures of the Phantom players in the exhibition games. You might want to look it over.

fan mao rong is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 02:18 PM
  #12
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
I still haven't found any information about what happened to Runkel. As for Gobert he's on the roster and i'll be listening to tonights game.

golfmade is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 08:50 PM
  #13
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Troy Milam (Gwinnett)
Gwinnett had their home opener tonight. I barely noticed Milam out there, he didn't get a lot of icetime. He was paired with Joe Bourne. Two guys who did look good were Kevin Doell and Phil Lewandowski. I voted Lewandowski the first star in fact.

There were some technical difficulties communicating between the press box and the keeper's box and they didn't announce the outcome of the voting though. Just one of many bugs to work out after the first go around.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
10-26-2003, 06:44 PM
  #14
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
I'm going to add on to this request. If anyone catches any of these guys can you pass on information?
Robin Carruthers (Columbia)
Blair Clarence (Columbia)
Ray DiLauro (Columbus)
Caught part of the Columbus/Columbia game today. The only one of those three that I watched was Carruthers and I'm going to write him up as an article. Clarence didn't stand out, but who did was defenseman Mike Roemensky out of Michigan playing for the Inferno. Wow. Outstanding defensively and so smart with the puck. He won't be in the ECHL long.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
10-26-2003, 10:04 PM
  #15
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Gwinnett had their home opener tonight. I barely noticed Milam out there, he didn't get a lot of icetime. He was paired with Joe Bourne. Two guys who did look good were Kevin Doell and Phil Lewandowski. I voted Lewandowski the first star in fact.

There were some technical difficulties communicating between the press box and the keeper's box and they didn't announce the outcome of the voting though. Just one of many bugs to work out after the first go around.
Thanks for the update, Holly.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 09:33 PM
  #16
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Troy Milam (Gwinnett)
Milam had some good and bad plays tonight. He scored a goal, a wrister as a trailer on a nice play by Aquino. But he also showed some bad defense, one play lead to a goal against.

Mississippi had no prospects worth talking about. No rookies on that team, compared to 11 for the Gladiators.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 09:42 PM
  #17
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Milam had some good and bad plays tonight. He scored a goal, a wrister as a trailer on a nice play by Aquino. But he also showed some bad defense, one play lead to a goal against.

Mississippi had no prospects worth talking about. No rookies on that team, compared to 11 for the Gladiators.
Thanks. I think he'll get better as the season goes on.....just my prediction.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
11-14-2003, 08:04 PM
  #18
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Thanks. I think he'll get better as the season goes on.....just my prediction.
Milam played out of his mind tonight, absolutely fantastic. He got to every puck, every guy, every spot. Takeaways, keeps, clears, you name it, he did it. Even had an assist. If he can play like that consistently, the sky's the limit for him.

South Carolina had a few interesting players. Brent Henley was really good on D. Spiewak played, but was only OK. I interviewed him after, I'll have that up this weekend. He was interesting to hear from, despite what had to be an inconvenient time right after a bad loss.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
11-24-2003, 08:52 AM
  #19
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Milam played out of his mind tonight, absolutely fantastic. He got to every puck, every guy, every spot. Takeaways, keeps, clears, you name it, he did it. Even had an assist. If he can play like that consistently, the sky's the limit for him.
Ah, but he can't. Nice to see when it happends though.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:17 AM
  #20
E's Thunder Chick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Peter Runkel

Is a new defenseman for the Wichita Thunder in the Central Hockey League. He's played 17 games for Wichita, with 5 goals and 12 assists. He's +8 with 54 pims. He became one of my favorite players as soon as I saw him skate. He's about the classiest player I've seen. You can keep track of him at www.wichitathunder.com. Or, if interested in a Central Hockey League forum (we are an incredibly opinionated group, especially Thunder fans) www.glassrattler.com.
btw: I'm thrilled to have been referred to this board! The best I've seen.

E's Thunder Chick is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:18 AM
  #21
E's Thunder Chick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
I thought "Peter Runkel" would show in the subject line. I don't see it. Sorry for the mix up.

E's Thunder Chick is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:24 AM
  #22
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E's Thunder Chick
btw: I'm thrilled to have been referred to this board! The best I've seen.
Welcome. Who referred you, btw? Just curious.

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 09:49 AM
  #23
E's Thunder Chick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Welcome. Who referred you, btw? Just curious.
I had posted on glassrattler looking for Columbus Stars fans. Fan-o-45 responded and referred to these boards. My sister just moved to Columbus and is thrilled to be in an NHL town but attended a Stars game as the ticket prices were more attractive to her! We have been looking for a message board for her to meet new friends and find someone to go to the games with or at least visit with while there.

E's Thunder Chick is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 03:42 PM
  #24
NMUKat27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Marquette, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NMUKat27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Chris Gobert (Idaho)
By now you've probably found out that he's in San Diego playing for the Gulls (ECHL) He's got something like 30 points for them this season and is one of their leading rookies.

NMUKat27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.