HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kenny Smith signs with Toronto Roadrunners

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Kenny Smith signs with Toronto Roadrunners

http://www.canoe.ca/Roadrunners/News...31/403440.html

Now who was that who predicted this again...?

Old
04-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

That's great to hear! I wish him well. He's not the most flashiest guy out there, but he's gotta lot of heart and works hard.

BTW, Toronto also signed Defenseman Andy "The Big Wahz" Wozniewski from Wisconsin. This guy is one nasty you-know-what. He's got the makings to become a real tough guy/hard nose. He's big (6'5"/221) and is a punishing hitter. He's got a mean streak and he's gonna need to learn to control it a bit if he's ever gonna make it in the pros. He's a decent skater, possesses a good hard shot and is primarily a defensive defenseman. He's not nearly as skilled offensively as Matt Greene is but he's just about equally as tough to play against.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Looks like the Wozniewski signing is just a rumour.....for now. I checked out the source, and try to get a verification on several reliable sites. So far no news about this one. Sorry folks.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Seachd

So, after Platt and Smith, who's left to sign? Brodziak and Deslauriers out of junior for sure...

Most likely Greene from what you've been telling us, Guy. What about Brenk? Does he have to be signed, and if so, will he?

Old
04-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
So, after Platt and Smith, who's left to sign? Brodziak and Deslauriers out of junior for sure...

Most likely Greene from what you've been telling us, Guy. What about Brenk? Does he have to be signed, and if so, will he?
Greene just finished his sophomore year so he's got two more to go, unless he leaves early. Although I'm told he might be able to play now physically, he's not in the same position the other guys are. Platt and Smith are both Seniors so they're done school now (or after graduation this spring).

Brenk is a senior next year.

Brodziak and JDD need to be signed to entry level deals by June 1 or they go back into the draft. (How much would that suck?)

Old
04-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Greene just finished his sophomore year so he's got two more to go, unless he leaves early. Although I'm told he might be able to play now physically, he's not in the same position the other guys are. Platt and Smith are both Seniors so they're done school now (or after graduation this spring).

Brenk is a senior next year.

Brodziak and JDD need to be signed to entry level deals by June 1 or they go back into the draft. (How much would that suck?)
From what I understand, Greene is still considered a "flight risk" that is, leaving early to turn pro. Whether it actually happens remains to be seen. Just because a player doesn't signed almost immediately after his team's season ends, doesn't necessarily mean he won't get signed.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
From what I understand, Greene is still considered a "flight risk" that is, leaving early to turn pro. Whether it actually happens remains to be seen. Just because a player doesn't signed almost immediately after his team's season ends, doesn't necessarily mean he won't get signed.
Oh I hear what you're saying and I'm on record as saying I think Greene will leave school early. I was just pointing out the diff between him being a sophomore and Platt/Smith being seniors.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:17 PM
aspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd

It is important to differentiate the difference between an AHL contract and an NHL contract. From what I know the Oilers did not sign Platt and Smith but Toronto did an a tryout contract.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
It is important to differentiate the difference between an AHL contract and an NHL contract. From what I know the Oilers did not sign Platt and Smith but Toronto did an a tryout contract.
Yes, but isn't it just a technicality now that they get signed to entry-level NHL contracts? Especially with Smith?

Old
04-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Looks like Matt Greene is staying at UND for another year. Here's the STORY.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Looks like Matt Greene is staying at UND for another year. Here's the STORY.
That's quite a different tune than the one he was singing to Guy a while back.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:59 PM
kyle

Quote:
How would Edmonton be compensated for that? An extra draft pick in the round they were picked in? In both cases that would suck. JDD was the 1st pick in the 2nd round. Brodziak was a steal.

Any indication they won't get signed in time, Guy?

Old
04-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
How would Edmonton be compensated for that? An extra draft pick in the round they were picked in? Any indication they won't get signed in time, Guy?
I don't think you get any compensation do you? Did the Oilers get compenasation for not signing Matt Lombardi? I don't know.

As for if they'll get signed... did you read the Kevin Lowe interview??? (PART1)

Old
04-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
That's quite a different tune than the one he was singing to Guy a while back.
I still think he caught some flak for that interview he did with me. This might be a way of reassuring the school or it might be genuine and he's not in a rush to play hockey.

But Digger's right, it sure didn't sound that way earlier this year.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:58 PM
kyle

Quote:
I don't think you get any compensation do you? Did the Oilers get compenasation for not signing Matt Lombardi? I don't know.

As for if they'll get signed... did you read the Kevin Lowe interview??? (PART1)
Good point.. nothing from not signing Lombardi, other than sweet revenge at the Flames by taking Stoll.

I read the interview but I'm still having nightmares that they won't get signed in time. I was hoping for a nice big "absolutely, they'll be signed" to put my mind at ease I suppose. Our goaltending depth is a shameful thing if JDD re-enters (and we don't draft him),

Old
04-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
How would Edmonton be compensated for that? An extra draft pick in the round they were picked in? In both cases that would suck. JDD was the 1st pick in the 2nd round. Brodziak was a steal.

Any indication they won't get signed in time, Guy?
There's only compensation for first round picks that don't get signed, and that doesn't apply here.

Anyway, like Guy said, there's absolutely no reason to think they won't get signed.

Closed Thread