HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Legwand Signed for 6yr 27 mill extension - OFFICIAL

Old
12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Great deal for you guys, and smart move by your GM to lock him up. Legwand is awesome.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Leggy is on 104.5 right now...he is calling for Erat to be signed next.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That surprises me a little bit...I thought Weber might be next....and in fact, that may have been where Poile was headed, and Leggy may feel that focus should be somewhere else first.

What this tells me is that the negotiations with Erat may have needed a little push....and since Leggy just stepped up long-term, he feels that Marty is also a main key core that he feels is next in line.
I think it also may be a respect thing...."Marty is next senior in longevity here...he needs to be next"....each signing has an effect on amount and years of future signings.
"Weber is important, we all know that, but give Marty his due, he has been carrying this team lately"....may have been some of what Leggy was hinting at.

Anyway, that is how I am reading the tea leaves....no info though.

I would guess Marty may get around $3.5 mill per x 3-4 years...to start staggering some of these contracts.

I still think Weber gets $4.0 x 4 yrs ball park, when he does, in fact get signed.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
That surprises me a little bit...I thought Weber might be next....and in fact, that may have been where Poile was headed, and Leggy may feel that focus should be somewhere else first.

What this tells me is that the negotiations with Erat may have needed a little push....and since Leggy just stepped up long-term, he feels that Marty is also a main key core that he feels is next in line.
I think it also may be a respect thing...."Marty is next senior in longevity here...he needs to be next"....each signing has an effect on amount and years of future signings.
"Weber is important, we all know that, but give Marty his due, he has been carrying this team lately"....may have been some of what Leggy was hinting at.

Anyway, that is how I am reading the tea leaves....no info though.

I would guess Marty may get around $3.5 mill per x 3-4 years...to start staggering some of these contracts.

I still think Weber gets $4.0 x 4 yrs ball park, when he does, in fact get signed.
It was just something he was saying as I was writing that post. He was asked now that he is resigned what does he think this means for the other upcoming free agents and Marty Erat was the first guy he mentioned and he was talking about how much he has improved over the past season and has become such a great player. At that point I hit the "reply" key and Legwand immediately mentioned Weber, Suter, and Radulov among other key young guys. I don't remember if he mentioned JP, but think he did. The gist of it was that it would be great to see the owners give Poile the money to sign all of our young players and keep together the core of what has been built here.

The thing that really stood out in that interview was that he continually said he loved the winning culture that is being built here and that he hopes that his signing is a signal that the new ownership is committed to doing what it takes to become a contender. That type of comment was in at least three of his answers and I just kept thinking back to his comment to you at the Unmasked Ball last year.

Old
12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think this team is a forward away from being able to go deep in the playoffs. This could be Sullivan, but given his back problems - it probably isn't.

Erat must be signed - he is turning into a star winger. Locking him up now will save us a boatload of cash, and give us a winger that has matured physically and mentally in his offensive game. That edge we saw against the Sharks last year, well it has become a part of his every day game. The head down, skate for an hour drill......well.....he still does it, but not to the extend and one-mindedness of the past. He is seeing the ice better. He is attacking the net. He is using his hard shot. This is why his game has risen to a new level.

Weber's contract should mirror Ryan Whitney's contract. This should also spell the trade of Marek Zidlicky (please!). Zidlicky has to know his time here is limited unless he gets his game back on track. The Preds cannot afford 3.75 million for him right now, especially with his struggles on the PP (which is where we really need him.....) He is a luxury that we cannot afford, especially with Sullivan injured and out of the lineup.

12-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Mike Jones

As an outsider I'm puzzled by a couple of things:

1) The numbers seem really low. From what little I have read and heard about Legwand I expected a bigger deal - especially since he could have hit the open market in July and potentially cashed in then. I'm wondering why he didn't sign for more.

Don't get me wrong - I like the deal for both sides. The Preds lock up one of their main players long term and there's enough cap space left to sign the other key pieces. Nice one all around.

2) But I still have one question (And I'm asking this not knowing whether the rules have been recently changed or not).

Couldn't the Predators have traded Legwand at the deadline (It looks like a tight race but current numbers project them ending the season out of the playoffs) and then signed him to this new deal in July? I know it's taking a huge chance but the Preds could have walked away with some extra picks and prospects while having Legwand signed long term.

Just a couple of questions and thoughts.

Again, I do think this is an excellent deal and both sides should be extremely happy about it.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Roger Explosion

Great to see Legwand locked up long term and for less than I thought as well.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
dulzhok

Given the market, pretty good deal. Woud've preferred a comparable to Derek Roy's contract, not Mike Fishers.

That being said, the market it out of hand. Salaries have escalated and teams are getting nervous and handing out these huge deals. Legwand's played 9 years in the league, and has one season of more than 18 goals.

Just in one year, the market has gotten ridiculous (thanks Kevin Lowe). Last year Zetterberg signs a mult-year deal for 2.6 million. Arnott (who had scored 20+ gaols in 10 consective seeason), was seen as somewhat of stretch to get 4.5 million a year.

It can't continue like this unless the cap keeps going up 5 million a year (which I think is highly unlikely).

Back to Legwand, lets hope he continues the improvement he's seen over the last year in the offensive zone.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Peter Angelo

excellent news

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
predhead1

This is great news and hopefully a sign of things to come under the new ownership. I think it might be a bit on the high side but I like the long-term gamble with a relatively young player that is continuing to show some upside.

Time to get down to business with Erat and Weber.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:44 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I couldnt be more pleased. Simply Awesome.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 12:36 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Awesome news, that and the sale finalized have made my day!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 02:33 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Oh Leggy!

I had been preparing myself for a Predators team without Leggy, but now he'll be here for at least 6 more years!! I can keep wearing my Legwand jersey!

This is great. I like the message that it sends to the community and hopefully to the rest of the team that the new owners are willing to spend the money to give us a fair chance to keep the core here and build a team to be OURS for a long long time.

Congrats Legwand!!!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
isleskovalchuk

GREAT signing, looks like legwand is really coming into his prime now. Does everything a player can for a team. Hopefully he continues to have success in nashville and prove those analysts wrong. Nashville will be a playoff team

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
handtrick

Here is how the contract is structured, if you haven't seen it yet:

Salary totals for each year of David Legwand's six-year, $27 million contract extension with the Predators. The deal will count and average of $4.5 million against the salary cap for all six seasons:
Season Salary
2008-09 $5.5 million
2009-10 $5 million
2010-11 $4.5 million
2011-12 $4.5 million
2012-13 $4 million
2013-14 $3.5 million

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....712080378/1028

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 05:40 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Here is how the contract is structured, if you haven't seen it yet:

Salary totals for each year of David Legwand's six-year, $27 million contract extension with the Predators. The deal will count and average of $4.5 million against the salary cap for all six seasons:
Season Salary
2008-09 $5.5 million
2009-10 $5 million
2010-11 $4.5 million
2011-12 $4.5 million
2012-13 $4 million
2013-14 $3.5 million

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....712080378/1028
I know the cap hit is the same each year but I find it interesting how this contract is actually front loaded. Obviously figuring in age and diminishing skill over that time.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I know the cap hit is the same each year but I find it interesting how this contract is actually front loaded. Obviously figuring in age and diminishing skill over that time.
A lot of the new contracts are like that. It has something to do with buying them out in the latter years. Timonen's pays him something like $8 million this year if I remember correctly.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 07:38 PM
braindead

It's particularly good since the cap isn't an issue for us in the early years- perhaps it never will be but at least it keeps options open. It also makes a trade easier later in the contract.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Seth Lake

I think it has a lot to do with the ages and contract status of all of our upcoming RFA's and UFA's. By front-loading Leggy's contract, Poile has more freedom later in this deal to go out and replace Arnott when he contract expries (or resign him), etc.