HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

hypothetical: Scotty comes back, then what?

Old
11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

vCash: 500
If Scott comes back:

Trade O'Donnell for a 3rd.

Trade Marchant for some AHL players.

Scratch Hnidy.

Get him to retire after the season is over.

Sign Perry to a long-term deal.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:40 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
If Scott comes back:

Trade O'Donnell for a 3rd.

Trade Marchant for some AHL players.

Scratch Hnidy.

Get him to retire after the season is over.

Sign Perry to a long-term deal.
How do you "get him to retire"? I know the chances are high, but lets just say for the sake of argument he wants to continue playing.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:00 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Bump. And now it's no longer hypothetical.

I'm still betting Marchant or maybe O'Donnel + something else goes to Phoenix. Or maybe Washington. For like a pick or something. To repay us for Bryz or a 2nd for Sutherby.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

I could see Marchant waived.

If he clears they have to pay him to play in Portland but it won't count against the cap. (not sure if that helps for the 08-09 issue)

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post

I'm still betting Marchant or maybe O'Donnel + something else goes to Phoenix. Or maybe Washington. For like a pick or something. To repay us for Bryz or a 2nd for Sutherby.
I think you might be engaging in healthy dose of wishful thinking here. Why would Phoenix want to help a division rival? Phoenix is in full re-building mode and is committed to playing their kids. They are not going to add an overpaid 3rd line forward or an aging defenseman to their lineup unless Anaheim sends along a #1 pick as well. The only trading chip that Anaheim has right now is Beauchamen. The whole league knows that Burke is between a rock and a hard place so he's basically at the mercy of his good GM friends who wouldn't even give him a 2nd round pick for Byrz. I could see something like Beauchamen + Marchant for a prospect and a pickbiglaugh:

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
OttawaGM

Do you think there's any chance Burke would trade O'Donnell to Ottawa? Maybe OD wouldn't be as upset by being traded after signing there in the summer if it was to go to his home town team?

We could really use a guy like OD but what would you be looking for in return, picks/prospects only?

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:04 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Do you think there's any chance Burke would trade O'Donnell to Ottawa? Maybe OD wouldn't be as upset by being traded after signing there in the summer if it was to go to his home town team?

We could really use a guy like OD but what would you be looking for in return, picks/prospects only?
Sure. OD is a re-signing, there's probably less stigma of trading him than Schneider who was a UFA signing.

I think they'd be expecting picks/prospects. Maybe a spare scorer, but we'd probably have to add another roster player.

Old
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Hussar
Donkeytoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post

yes picks/prospects. doesnt need to be a blue chip, just someone to be able to play with bobby in portland, since platt may be sticking around for a little longer. per burke, no second rounders or euros, especially russians!

Hussar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:23 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

The more I think about it Burke needs to get Marchant's contract off the books anyway he can.

It can be one of those Marchant and a 2nd round pick for future considerations trades.

Keep Schneider, keep Beauch, keep OD.

Niedermayer-Beauchemin
Pronger-O'Donnell
Schneider-Huskins

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
The more I think about it Burke needs to get Marchant's contract off the books anyway he can.

It can be one of those Marchant and a 2nd round pick for future considerations trades.

Keep Schneider, keep Beauch, keep OD.

Niedermayer-Beauchemin
Pronger-O'Donnell
Schneider-Huskins

Marchant is great, but your right. It is probably the scenario that makes the most sense.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 12:35 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I'm not sure if Marchant alone is enough though. The salary needing to be cleared is anywhere from 1.5 million-3.2 million dollars. I'm going to assume it's the 3.2 just because I'm a pessimist.

But I think it's quite likely Marchant is moved. Especially given that he seemed kind of mad at being a healthy scratch.

Old
12-06-2007, 08:35 AM
renodave

By my calcluations, the Ducks need to clear $2.971 million from next year's cap to bring Nieds on. I think the only palettable move that makes sense is to move Schnieder for a pick or prospect. Schneider was only signed because of Nieds possible retirement, so I think he's the odd man out. Plus it frees up cap and payroll room to sign Selanne.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

According to the both Times and Register, the amount of money needing to be moved for tagging issues is roughly 1 million.

Register: "roughly $1 million"
Times: "Unless the league cap goes up, the Ducks would not be able to fit Niedermayer in for next year because they already have $44.7 million committed to 18 players and still have to re-sign current leading goal scorer Perry." = 1.15 million

I wonder if that's the calculations of the newspaper or if that's some estimate from Burke.

It's funny because I had little confidence in the 1.4-1.5 (1.3 using nhlnumbers.com salaries) million figure that I kept coming up with because it didn't match with the 2.97 figure that one would suspect if you used the media-spread definition of "tagging." But as far as I can tell from the CBA, tagged space should be (upcoming free agents - new acquisitions/extensions). And this formula only gives in the mid 1 million range.

If true, less will have to be moved than I thought. For example, only OD need be moved (and someone shipped to the minors). But I'll wait until Burke himself provides an update after the NHL and the Ducks have reconciliated calculations.

Old
12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
chriss_co

whatever the figure is that you need to clear off the cap, i dont see you guys getting anything of tangible value in return

if anything, it'll be an unsigned unknown player (who doesnt even deserve the title of prospect) for a player on ur current payroll plus one of your higher end draft picks (1st or 2nd).. the GM that makes the deal with you guys will be doing you a favor which essentially equates to giving you niedermayer.. so the deal that should happen will be roughly equal to you guys 'trading' for niedermayer

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
whatever the figure is that you need to clear off the cap, i dont see you guys getting anything of tangible value in return

if anything, it'll be an unsigned unknown player (who doesnt even deserve the title of prospect) for a player on ur current payroll plus one of your higher end draft picks (1st or 2nd).. the GM that makes the deal with you guys will be doing you a favor which essentially equates to giving you niedermayer.. so the deal that should happen will be roughly equal to you guys 'trading' for niedermayer
I think that's pretty obvious that that will happen. Maybe Marchant is dealt for a 5th rounder or something like that. I think just getting rid of Marchant's salary would be a win itself.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post

We'll take Marchant if he comes along with Edmonton's pick - haha

Thanks for Bryz though.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 03:19 AM
theShiba

Is it too soon to make an avatar with Neids in the BG, saying "Marchant's gonna to get it"

theShiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Teukka

Teemu. At least that's what Anaheim needs desperately.

[/thread]

Teukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Not getting into the "clearing tagged salary" part, but Recchi is on reentry waivers. Meaning he'd be approximately 1 million (700k prorated), and with an expiring contract.

If Miller were sent down and replaced with Recchi, that'd be roughly 200k increase in tag space. If a guy on a multiyear contract were sent down/traded (like Parros or May) and replaced with Recchi that'd be 700k freed in tag space.

The Ducks would pick 10th/11th (not sure how the tie would be broken w/ Toronto, presumably 11th with "wins" being a tiebreaker like the standings) in waivers for anyone curious.

Old
12-07-2007, 03:35 PM
dragonic2020

Scotty comes back...
So what happens to Pronger, Schneider and Beauchemin?

Speaking of Schneider, wasn't he Anaheim's "backup" defenseman in place of Scotty? I'm wondering who Scott will pair up with...

dragonic2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonic2020 View Post
I'm wondering who Scott will pair up with...
Beauch.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote