HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Melrose Presents the Mellies

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 02:40 AM
stonebreaker

vCash: 500
Melrose is a joke

Thank god he doesent coach anymore. Whats he going to do for a job when the TV contract is not renewed? No respected Canadian network would hire that loser. He'll probally end up covering the LA Kings locally (if they even have local coverage) and I won't have to listen to his crap anymore.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:00 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
They have been kissing their Butts for 10+ years now. They show them 82 games a year + playoffs and basically try to make them the only team in the league. If the Preds finish 8th and play the wings they will be shown more on ESPN in one week than they were shown in 6 years.
Please....this is ridiculous and I am not even a Wings fan. Don't really like or dislike them either way.

Television ratings and quality level of play over the years must help dictate who is and isn't shown....Are you suggesting that A national television audience would prefer the Preds over the Wings? Of course that is a rhetorical question but I am certain that they televise thier games based on marketing and air the game that they feel will get the best ratings.
They basically try to make them the only team in the league? That is just absurd.

They get more than thier fair share of games, I agree, but as I stated, ratings and quality have much more to do with that than some percieved conspiracy theory.

I agree that this is a typical response.
Perhaps someone high up at ESPN IS in fact a Wings fan. They still have a good case to air them over other teams and quite frankly, why should it bother you? There are other avenues for one to pursue if they wish to see thier teams games.

Last edited by stardog: 04-02-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old
04-02-2004, 07:07 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Here's how it works. TV stations...such as ESPN... make money by showing things that most people will watch. Thus, the high profile teams get most of the broadcasts. Thats how it is in EVERY sport and on EVERY channel that shows sports. In a few years, if the Preds are a top team in the league and are more of a high profile team, chances are they will get thier games shown a bit more.

It has nothing to do with "kissing the Wings butts". ESPN shows the Wings, Avs, Flyers, Stars and Leafs all the time. Those teams are good, high profile teams.

I completey understand when people get upset about not seeing their teams on TV. I would be upset if I were a Preds fan too, or the fan of any other team that rarely gets any national TV coverage for that matter. I think you have a right to be upset. But atleast be upset for the right reasons.

Or blame the Wings still....which is what everybody else does.
This is so true. Remember in the late 90's when they were showing the Pens all the time? It was for those very reasons (high profile, star team with a national following).
Now they aren't winning, have no star power and as a result they aren't shown on ESPN. Nor would I expect them to be shown. It probably wouldn't be good for the television ratings nationally.

And I am fine with that. I could care less if ESPN shows them or likes them because I will watch them on center ice regardless.

Just wait til our next TV contract and maybe there wont be many complaints if another network picks them up.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

That NAFTA line is priceless.....and in a way true!

Old
04-02-2004, 10:25 AM
shelovesshanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
As for CuJo I think that one is pretyy wide open for debate, lots of good canidates for the Masterson.
just a thought. why has noone thrown out roenicks name for this award. dude got his jaw shattered into a thousand toothpicks and came back in 6 weeks. if you ask me thats some serious perserverence!

Old
04-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlund2.2
Yzerman won it last season for a reason.

Yeah, I know. But how about a repeat performance?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:12 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Here's how it works. TV stations...such as ESPN... make money by showing things that most people will watch. Thus, the high profile teams get most of the broadcasts. Thats how it is in EVERY sport and on EVERY channel that shows sports. In a few years, if the Preds are a top team in the league and are more of a high profile team, chances are they will get thier games shown a bit more.

It has nothing to do with "kissing the Wings butts". ESPN shows the Wings, Avs, Flyers, Stars and Leafs all the time. Those teams are good, high profile teams.

I completey understand when people get upset about not seeing their teams on TV. I would be upset if I were a Preds fan too, or the fan of any other team that rarely gets any national TV coverage for that matter. I think you have a right to be upset. But atleast be upset for the right reasons.

Or blame the Wings still....which is what everybody else does.
Their ratings have declined in the past couple years, yet they still focus on the same five or so teams (with the Wings topping that list). Now there are more factors that go into that than just the teams shown, but the choice of teams is the highest on that list of factors. It makes little sense to keep the status quo when you keep losing viewers. High profile or not, those teams just aren't pulling in good ratings, not enough to justify showing them in pretty much every telecast. They could have at least tried another direction. The ratings certainly couldn't have been any worse than they are now.

For my viewing, I couldn't care less if they show my Thrashers. I see them on local TV most of the year, which is all that matters to me. And if not, I've got Center Ice to catch the games not covered locally. It would be nice for others to see more of teams like Nashville, Atlanta, Buffalo, Tampa Bay (just examples). Young teams that have great futures. Instead, the viewers not lucky enough to have Center Ice here in the States are forced to watch the same teams as ESPN tries in a rather futile attempt to relive past glory for themselves. If they actually cared more about their overall hockey coverage it might be different. Sadly, it isn't.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsieben
Their ratings have declined in the past couple years, yet they still focus on the same five or so teams (with the Wings topping that list). Now there are more factors that go into that than just the teams shown, but the choice of teams is the highest on that list of factors. It makes little sense to keep the status quo when you keep losing viewers. High profile or not, those teams just aren't pulling in good ratings, not enough to justify showing them in pretty much every telecast. They could have at least tried another direction. The ratings certainly couldn't have been any worse than they are now.

For my viewing, I couldn't care less if they show my Thrashers. I see them on local TV most of the year, which is all that matters to me. And if not, I've got Center Ice to catch the games not covered locally. It would be nice for others to see more of teams like Nashville, Atlanta, Buffalo, Tampa Bay (just examples). Young teams that have great futures. Instead, the viewers not lucky enough to have Center Ice here in the States are forced to watch the same teams as ESPN tries in a rather futile attempt to relive past glory for themselves. If they actually cared more about their overall hockey coverage it might be different. Sadly, it isn't.
The ratings suck at ESPN because the NHL as a whole simply isnt popular as a TV sport. But ESPN still has to give themselves the BEST CHANCE at decent ratings. Do you really think the Preds, Islanders, Flames, Habs, Sabree or Thrashers would really increase the ratings compared to the Wings, Flyers, Stars, Avs and Leafs?

I understand what you say about sticking with the status quo. But if the ratings are bad for the teams that they show now...they would be virtually zero if the threw a Sabres/Preds game on.

This has nothing to do with me defending the Wings here, either. Because I TOTALLY understand the points that are being made in this thread. But ESPN and other sports channels have their own best interests in mind. You cant blame them for that. They have to make as much money as they can.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Higgy4

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. You ALL should get Center Ice.

It solves pretty much all these problems. Center Ice is the best thing I have ever purchased.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
The ratings suck at ESPN because the NHL as a whole simply isnt popular as a TV sport. But ESPN still has to give themselves the BEST CHANCE at decent ratings. Do you really think the Preds, Islanders, Flames, Habs, Sabree or Thrashers would really increase the ratings compared to the Wings, Flyers, Stars, Avs and Leafs?

I understand what you say about sticking with the status quo. But if the ratings are bad for the teams that they show now...they would be virtually zero if the threw a Sabres/Preds game on.

This has nothing to do with me defending the Wings here, either. Because I TOTALLY understand the points that are being made in this thread. But ESPN and other sports channels have their own best interests in mind. You cant blame them for that. They have to make as much money as they can.
The Detroit market is not in play when they show them most of the time The blackout rule applies. Why not show the Wings less and see what happens for a season. It can't get any worse. I just have trouble with the "Wings are Gods and everyone else is Clods attitude" that ESPN has. During the Skills competition Daren Pang was bragging on Pavel Datsuk like he could win every contest. Bias against teams and love for one team just becomes sickening after a while. I would love to see the Sens, Oilers, Kings, Sharks, or even the Cup winning Devils without having to watch them on Center Ice. Casual Fans don't buy Center Ice (I have It) so they don't realise teams exist in Miami, Nashville, Phoneix, or San Jose if they watch ESPN. Plus the funniest thing I ever heard was Melrose and Bucci saying Mark Mowers become a top line player when he dons a Wings jersey. He stunk here in Nashville and does not look that much better in Detroit.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:17 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:

Gnashville put the point in, but I'll go into it again for the heck of it.

ESPN did give themselves the best chance for ratings. They showed the teams that had traditionally drawn viewers in the past, and that market research showed would likely get viewers in the present. They've done this for at least the last couple years now, yet the ratings continue to decrease. We know there is a big hole in their marketing of the NHL, but they given virtually no try at fixing that. What could be the possible harm of trying out other teams? The ship is sinking, they could at least try something to fix it. But they seem to be content to let it go down.

Neither of us can really know if showing some of the smaller market teams would help or not. It might be that the viewers are tired of what they are seeing now, and would be happy for a change. Maybe showing more teams would increase the interest, or it might be worse than it is now. On the surface, it would seem as though it is a bad idea to show these "lesser" teams. But we can't know for certain, one way or the other. We don't have the information that a huge broadcasting entity does. Anything else is just speculation, no matter how plausible it might seem.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:40 PM
felixd

I'm pretty sure St.Louis isn't a center...and Luongo for the Melrose team but not for the vezina?

Old
04-02-2004, 02:17 PM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
St. Louis is a RW'er and there is no such thing as the Masterson trophy

Masterton people.. Masterton

oh and those who said Melrose is an idiot.. bang on

Old
04-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

An award for perseverance and dedication to hockey for Joseph? Dedication to your paycheck is more like it.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
The Detroit market is not in play when they show them most of the time The blackout rule applies. Why not show the Wings less and see what happens for a season. It can't get any worse. I just have trouble with the "Wings are Gods and everyone else is Clods attitude" that ESPN has. During the Skills competition Daren Pang was bragging on Pavel Datsuk like he could win every contest. Bias against teams and love for one team just becomes sickening after a while. I would love to see the Sens, Oilers, Kings, Sharks, or even the Cup winning Devils without having to watch them on Center Ice. Casual Fans don't buy Center Ice (I have It) so they don't realise teams exist in Miami, Nashville, Phoneix, or San Jose if they watch ESPN. Plus the funniest thing I ever heard was Melrose and Bucci saying Mark Mowers become a top line player when he dons a Wings jersey. He stunk here in Nashville and does not look that much better in Detroit.
The Detroit market doesnt play a role...you are absolutely correct. But Wings fans are everywhere. In every opposing rink there is always a fairly LARGE contingent of Wings fans. ESPN is not trying to persuade the Detroit market by airing the Wings games. The Detroit-area Wings fans will watch regardless. But the Wings fan base is everywhere. ESPN is hoping the Wings fans in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, Illinois, Georgia, etc, etc, etc will watch. Like it or not, the Wings are probably the most popular team in the NHL. Thus, they will get alot of bias from TV stations, such as ESPN. When the tables are turned eventually, and the Wings begin to struggle, you wont see them near as much because all the bandwagon fans will fall to the wayside. This whole thing goes in cycles. The Wings have stayed on top of the cycle alot longer than many may have expected, but they will drop eventually. And when that happens, the next batch of "flavors of the month" teams will be on TV continuosly. Its just the way it is.

I understand your points completely. But you sound so frickin angry about it. Get over it. It isnt that big of a deal. Nobody watches the ESPN broadcasts anyway. But they have to TRY to put the "popular" teams on there.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsieben
Gnashville put the point in, but I'll go into it again for the heck of it.

ESPN did give themselves the best chance for ratings. They showed the teams that had traditionally drawn viewers in the past, and that market research showed would likely get viewers in the present. They've done this for at least the last couple years now, yet the ratings continue to decrease. We know there is a big hole in their marketing of the NHL, but they given virtually no try at fixing that. What could be the possible harm of trying out other teams? The ship is sinking, they could at least try something to fix it. But they seem to be content to let it go down.

Neither of us can really know if showing some of the smaller market teams would help or not. It might be that the viewers are tired of what they are seeing now, and would be happy for a change. Maybe showing more teams would increase the interest, or it might be worse than it is now. On the surface, it would seem as though it is a bad idea to show these "lesser" teams. But we can't know for certain, one way or the other. We don't have the information that a huge broadcasting entity does. Anything else is just speculation, no matter how plausible it might seem.
To me it makes little sense to put the smaller market teams on the air. But...I dont run ESPN, so I have no say in it.

All this is irrelevant because in about 2 years, NHL hockey on ESPN will cease to exist at all. So, lets not drag this out.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
The Detroit market doesnt play a role...you are absolutely correct. But Wings fans are everywhere. In every opposing rink there is always a fairly LARGE contingent of Wings fans. ESPN is not trying to persuade the Detroit market by airing the Wings games. The Detroit-area Wings fans will watch regardless. But the Wings fan base is everywhere. ESPN is hoping the Wings fans in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, Illinois, Georgia, etc, etc, etc will watch. Like it or not, the Wings are probably the most popular team in the NHL. Thus, they will get alot of bias from TV stations, such as ESPN. When the tables are turned eventually, and the Wings begin to struggle, you wont see them near as much because all the bandwagon fans will fall to the wayside. This whole thing goes in cycles. The Wings have stayed on top of the cycle alot longer than many may have expected, but they will drop eventually. And when that happens, the next batch of "flavors of the month" teams will be on TV continuosly. Its just the way it is.

I understand your points completely. But you sound so frickin angry about it. Get over it. It isnt that big of a deal. Nobody watches the ESPN broadcasts anyway. But they have to TRY to put the "popular" teams on there.
I can't help being angry ESPN is feeding and creating more bandwagoners for the Wings. If they showed the Preds as much then most of the country would be Pred fans. Plus they called us (Predator fans) Rednecks on the air and constantly critize our team and us and pretend that our team does not matter or is inferior. Plus I hate it when networks take sides or show love for a team vs another. Listen to the broadcast some time they constantly talk about how much they love the Wings or their players. I'll go back to repeting this they said freking Mark Mowers was a top line guy during one of the broadcasts. And telling everyone that Pavel Datsuk would win every skill competition and Blowing off Kimmo Timenon's goal in the breakaway competition and replaying Datsuk's chance 5 times when he did not even score. It is a bias and should be stated as such. During the Ice picks announcement they actually encourage people to vote for the Wing game on the list. Pang said I want to see the Wings play and said he does not see them enough when he was watching them and was broadcasting one of their games.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

ESPN is a joke.

Detroit Games aired nationally this season: 20
Ottawa Games aired nationally this season: 0

Now, I know that there isn't a big Ottawa following in the states, but...come on. Show every team in the league at least once!

Old
04-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Harold Snepsts

The most important thing to remember is that ESPN is not the NHL. It is not their job to be fair to all hockey teams, or even to try and make hockey more popular. that is the job of the NHL itself.

One of ESPN's primary responsibility is to get high ratings for their advertisers. Like it or not, the Wings are a very popular team nationally. A meaningless Detroit game has gotten picked by fans several times over many more exciting matchups.

And as a Wing's fan myself, I'm probably as annoyed by the bandwagon fans as the rest of you. People who began watching after 1997 when they chose the Wings as their team on playstation. I realize I'm generalizing, but those fans are often among the most obnoxious and whiny of all Wings fans. Probably because they've never watched a hockey team when it was terrible, like when Yzerman first became captain.

I'm rambling off topic here, but I guess my main thought is that yes the Wings get a disproportionate amount of coverage. But they are arguably one of the top three teams of the last decade, which also gives them broader popularity.

It's understandable to be frustrated, but getting pissed at the Red Wings is misdirected anger.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:58 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
They have been kissing their Butts for 10+ years now. They show them 82 games a year + playoffs and basically try to make them the only team in the league. If the Preds finish 8th and play the wings they will be shown more on ESPN in one week than they were shown in 6 years.
Uh people watching TV brings money to ESPN. Sorry if the Red Wings have one of the top 3 biggest fan bases in hockey. Why would they play Nashville all the time? They can barely get 18,000 to go to a game. Nashville doesn't get them the ratings, Detroit does. Its economics. If you watched ESPN hockey anyways, you'd see that they kiss the Avs *ss (namely Peter Forsberg) more than any other team in the league.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
For him to omit Neidermeyer for McCabe, don't get me wrong McCabe is a great player but com'on this guy has been carrying the Devils who have the most part been without two of their top dman.

Clown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melrose
Given Kaberle's soso season and the fact Leetch has only recently arrived, Leafs fans might argue that McCabe carried that D core (with a hand from Klee).

Old
04-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
I can't help being angry ESPN is feeding and creating more bandwagoners for the Wings. If they showed the Preds as much then most of the country would be Pred fans. Plus they called us (Predator fans) Rednecks on the air and constantly critize our team and us and pretend that our team does not matter or is inferior. Plus I hate it when networks take sides or show love for a team vs another. Listen to the broadcast some time they constantly talk about how much they love the Wings or their players. I'll go back to repeting this they said freking Mark Mowers was a top line guy during one of the broadcasts. And telling everyone that Pavel Datsuk would win every skill competition and Blowing off Kimmo Timenon's goal in the breakaway competition and replaying Datsuk's chance 5 times when he did not even score. It is a bias and should be stated as such. During the Ice picks announcement they actually encourage people to vote for the Wing game on the list. Pang said I want to see the Wings play and said he does not see them enough when he was watching them and was broadcasting one of their games.
Point well taken...I cannot argue.

Closed Thread