HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nice Peice of Journalism

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Dr_oil

vCash: 500
Nice Peice of Journalism

Did anyone else read the article in the Journal by John Mackinnon "Regrets, they've had a few"?

How can a journalist write an entire article with the wrong facts. Right near the beginning he say's if Nashville wins one more game then the Oil are done. Thats not true. If Nashville wins on Saturday against St. Louis then the oil are still ok if they beat Vancouver and St. Louis loses on Sunday. You would think he would look at the schedule and the standings before writing the article.

Heck, even look at HF, its been posted here several times about all the scenarios.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:50 PM
mudcrutch79

I actually emailed this clown last week. After the Phoenix game, he wrote that Edmonton didn't control their destiny-they did. Brownlee seems to be having problems working this out though too.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Lowetide

However, they did have that very nice article on the rivet salesman earlier this week.

It's actually pretty sad what the Journal has come to, considering Jim Matheson is/was such a tremendous writer.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:31 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
I actually emailed this clown last week. After the Phoenix game, he wrote that Edmonton didn't control their destiny-they did. Brownlee seems to be having problems working this out though too.
I noticed the above as well, and I pondered whether to e-mail him (my laziness won out). Honestly, we should expect alot more from those who cover the Oilers for a living. Most people on this board, each of whom has their own job/studies outside of sports, know the facts better. Didn't he used to be the sports editor? You'd think he should know one of the basics of journalism (getting your facts straight!).

Old
04-02-2004, 03:33 PM
edmontonoilers89

I was reading that article as I ate my breakfast. Scared the crap out of me. I had to look back at the standings 6 times to see if I was missing something, but I guess he just goofed up.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:40 PM
OYLer

Not everyone should try to write sports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil
Did anyone else read the article in the Journal by John Mackinnon "Regrets, they've had a few"?

How can a journalist write an entire article with the wrong facts. Right near the beginning he say's if Nashville wins one more game then the Oil are done. Thats not true. If Nashville wins on Saturday against St. Louis then the oil are still ok if they beat Vancouver and St. Louis loses on Sunday. You would think he would look at the schedule and the standings before writing the article.

Heck, even look at HF, its been posted here several times about all the scenarios.
Regrets, I 've had a few! Almost everytime I've wasted my time reading this guy John Mackinnon.

Last edited by OYLer: 04-03-2004 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Because seeing your own mistakes is tough!
Old
04-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Most people on this board, each of whom has their own job/studies outside of sports, know the facts better.
And thats why I, and many other poeple, come here first to get info. People post here because they care about the Oil. People write newspaper articles because it's their job.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:47 AM
theoil

One of my favourite peeves. I am almost like Matts with a post about Salo. I can't help myself. My laziness keeps me from starting a thread on ranking the sports writers in this city. My laziness and the fact that I don't know who they all are anymore because I have given up reading them since I found this board. The situation is shameful and depressing because (read it and believe it) the daily media is totally incompetent and indifferent to that incompetence. I've worked in the media and I've worked in politics and I assure that if you think it is bad in sports you should try them in the 'real world'.

Consider this. I went to hundreds of press conferences in my life on both sides of the fence. I never once saw a story in one of our dailies that did not contain at least one factual error. Many times the error was insignificant but not once did I ever read a story the next day without shaking my head and wondering if I had remembered correctly until experience showed me that it is just the way it is. And journalism schools have actually lowered the standard even further. Just my rant for the week.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:55 AM
krooky

If you're talking about bad journalism you have to talk about Joanne Ireland from the Journal. she has at least 2 or 3 mistakes in virtually every piece she writes. Don't the editors proof read the articals? Did anyone see when she quoted "Chris Prongeraux" the other day? That was the last straw for me.

Old
04-03-2004, 01:13 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooky
If you're talking about bad journalism you have to talk about Joanne Ireland from the Journal. she has at least 2 or 3 mistakes in virtually every piece she writes. Don't the editors proof read the articals? Did anyone see when she quoted "Chris Prongeraux" the other day? That was the last straw for me.
Sorry krooky, nobody mentioned her because we all got to the 'last straw' a long time ago and nobody reads her. She comes under the umbrella of 'shameful'.

Old
04-03-2004, 08:39 AM
jadeddog

yeah i dont read the dailies for facts, but moreso for quotes from the players..... for any facts or actually discussion about the oilers i just come to the boards..... its just amazing to me that the people who are PAID to cover the oilers wouldnt have some sort of "scenarios" thing (like my thread) on their whiteboard at work.... doesnt this just boggle your mind?? stop and actually THINK about it.... they are getting paid thousands of dollars to cover the oilers (and esks i suppose in some cases) and they dont have basic facts straight in the middle of the most exciting playoff drive in a long time....... the people ON THIS BOARD are more up to date with whats going on, isnt that just laughable to you? it sure is to me

Closed Thread