HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team Canada's Defence at the World Cup

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
I think these guys are locks:
- Pronger
- Neidermeyer
- Blake
- Jovo
- Foote

Redden, McCabe and Aucoin are definitely in the mix for the 6th spot and as extra's (I think there only 7 d-men carried, but can't remember). Overall, McCabe's powerplay strengths might not be taken into consideration as much given he's unlikely to get PP time with that top 4 in place, not to mention some of the forwards (i.e. Sakic) who might also play the point on one of the PP units. But still, McCabe is arguably pretty close to Redden and Aucoin for defensive play, so he's definitely going to get some consideration. I also think either Redden or Aucoin might fit in a little better than McCabe with some of those other guys, but I'm sure McCabe will get consideration. There are a lot of other good choices, including JayBo, Stuart, Rathje, Brewer and obviously Stevens if he makes it back and shows to be his oldself in the playoffs. Either way, Canada's D won't be a problem, other than making the right choices in terms of pairings.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Karl Pilkington

I think Souray would have been a strong contender for a position until he got injured... that really threw a kink in his outsanding play. Since he's returned he hasnt looked the same... he's still looking for his game and its not nearly as close to how it was even at the beginning of the season.....

Damn Florida ice... if it weren't for it..... what could have been for SS....

Old
04-02-2004, 08:47 AM
OldTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
I cannot see McCabe making the team over Jovo. Just wait until the playoffs and you'll see why jovocop is a lock for this team. He's a big game player.

Like Jovo and all, but where does this "big game player" mentality come from :lol Sure last year he had 8 pts in the playoffs, but his highly favoured team went down without a fight, and he was a -5....Suspect.

I say both Jovo and McCabe make it. I don't see Aucoin there. But hey it's just my opinion.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
8/9: Phillips, McCabe - this is interchangeable.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:18 PM
dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey
Like Jovo and all, but where does this "big game player" mentality come from :lol Sure last year he had 8 pts in the playoffs, but his highly favoured team went down without a fight, and he was a -5....Suspect.

I say both Jovo and McCabe make it. I don't see Aucoin there. But hey it's just my opinion.
he had 7 goals in the playoffs out of those 8 points and many were big goals (ie game winners or tie up goals)... I think Jovo is a great skater too and based on his Olympic experience he was arguably one of the better dmen in the last few games...

McCabe is a good player and he should be considered as well.

Pronger
Jovo
Blake
Foote
Niedermayer
(i think are locks)

---------------
McCabe
Redden
Aucoin
Souray
Boynton
Brewer
B. Jackman
Stuart
Sopel (i would hope not, as he is more offensive dman but not as good defensively)

Old
04-02-2004, 12:21 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey
Evidently you didn't watch him in the playoffs last year. He was dominant. 7 goals in 14 games and hitting everything that moved. The notion of being a big game player is that you step it up during the playoffs (or the world cup/olympics, etc). If you watched jovo closely during the regular season and then the playoffs you would have seen a totally different player.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:22 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I think these guys are locks:
- Pronger
- Neidermeyer
- Blake
- Jovo
- Foote

Redden, McCabe and Aucoin are definitely in the mix for the 6th spot and as extra's (I think there only 7 d-men carried, but can't remember). Overall, McCabe's powerplay strengths might not be taken into consideration as much given he's unlikely to get PP time with that top 4 in place, not to mention some of the forwards (i.e. Sakic) who might also play the point on one of the PP units. But still, McCabe is arguably pretty close to Redden and Aucoin for defensive play, so he's definitely going to get some consideration. I also think either Redden or Aucoin might fit in a little better than McCabe with some of those other guys, but I'm sure McCabe will get consideration. There are a lot of other good choices, including JayBo, Stuart, Rathje, Brewer and obviously Stevens if he makes it back and shows to be his oldself in the playoffs. Either way, Canada's D won't be a problem, other than making the right choices in terms of pairings.
I pretty much agree with all of that.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Le Golie

I'm no Canucks homer, just a Canadian hockey fan. I felt that Jovo was outstanding at the Olympics. Based on that alone he is on this team, as he hasn't done anything to 'play his way off' a la Brewer.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
Boynton
Brewer
B. Jackman
Stuart
Sopel (i would hope not, as he is more offensive dman but not as good defensively)
If you're going to mention guys like this then you should mention a guy like Robyn Regehr who has been one of the Flames top 2 all year along with Leopold. He's had a much better season than Brewer for example. The Flames defense is one of the biggest reasons for our improvement this season.

Not trying to say he's going to make the team or anything, just thought he merits more consideration than guys like Sopel and Brewer.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:33 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese

Hmmm....that's a pretty airtight argument. Almost bulletproof. But I'll give it a shot.

The two would be interchangeable dependent on the teams' needs. McCabe for more offense, Phillips for more solid defensive play.

But again, your argument is pretty solid.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:44 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
I don't think the youngster will be Bouwmeester though, he'll get the chance to be a star for canada in the world championships.
Bouwmeester WAS a lock for the team until they withdrew the requirement to have 3 players 22 or younger.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:49 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Hmmm....that's a pretty airtight argument. Almost bulletproof. But I'll give it a shot.

The two would be interchangeable dependent on the teams' needs. McCabe for more offense, Phillips for more solid defensive play.

I thought is was an appropriate response " " McCabe should be higher then eighth or nineth on the depth chart. McCabe is having a Noris type season the same as Redden is. I would have responded the same way.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Heater15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAvalanche
My Top Six would be:

Blake
Pronger
Niedermayer
Foote
Redden
Jovonovski

CanadaAvalanche is about the only guy who has it right.

Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer, Foote, and Jovo are basically gauranteed spots. Redden is the next best choice and he is replacing Stevens. McCabe is having a good year but Redden is better and he's been consistent over the years, where was McCabe last year? It's kind of the same story with becoming a UFA - you play your heart out that year to ca$h in

7th man I would like to see is Bouwmeester...best d-man at the World Championships last year.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:

International tournaments tend to go for very solid two way guys. Or guys that are veterans/been there before. McCabe fits the two way build far better than Phillips. McCabe is thrust into a top line role, which he may, or may not be best suited for, I personally believe that although he's a great player, he'd be better suited to either play HUGE minutes (30 per game), or minor (15) but not the middle of the way minutes he's been getting.

Phillips isn't international tournament build, in my oppinion. Then again, McCabe would get penalized heavily all the tournament for playing his rough brand of hockey.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

some of the names being mentioned here are not even going to get a sniff from the canadian team...

a guy like Sopel won't even be on the team's radar... nor should he.

he's an excellent PP guy who can put up solid points (I believe he's in the top 10 for defense scoring this year)... but he's not as good defensively.

on a team where guys like Blake, Neidermayer and Jovo are pretty much locks - why would you add a depth guy that is only good offensively?

Blake, Pronger, Neidermayer, Jovo and Foote seem locks...

after that IMO Redden is the next closest...

then you have guys like McCabe and Aucoin who'll be near the top of the list for the #6/7 guy...

after that I could see them give the spot to a younger player for the #8 (if they carry 8) and either go with someone real young like JBo, or someone somewhat young like Stuart or Boynton (although they're unlikely)....

Souray could be a darkhorse if he has a great playoffs... he was one of the top dmen in the game before he went down and if he can play at that level again he'd be a good choice as a depth dman - not a lot of risk as you know he's still good, but the upside could be great.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
McCabe
Jovanovksi/Stevens

Old
04-02-2004, 07:56 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Pronger
Redden
Niedermayer
McCabe
Blake
Foote

Aucoin, Jovo, Sopel and Stevens as possible candidates for 7th D.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:58 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
Aucoin
Jovanovksi

McCabe

Old
04-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Bandwagoner

Someone I'd just like to be considered is Robin Regehr. He's been a rock for the Flames this year, though I still doubt he'll make the team, at least I hope he is given at least a look.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:37 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
International tournaments tend to go for very solid two way guys. Or guys that are veterans/been there before. McCabe fits the two way build far better than Phillips. McCabe is thrust into a top line role, which he may, or may not be best suited for, I personally believe that although he's a great player, he'd be better suited to either play HUGE minutes (30 per game), or minor (15) but not the middle of the way minutes he's been getting.

Phillips isn't international tournament build, in my oppinion. Then again, McCabe would get penalized heavily all the tournament for playing his rough brand of hockey.
For some reason everyone (Leaf fans) thought I was comparing Phillips and McCabe. I was never doing that.

All I meant was that Phillips has been growing by leaps and bounds in the past year. If you'll notice, I never even put Redden on the team (before I get labelled a homer as well). IMO, the last couple of months Phillips has been very good, and he has something that Redden does not - the ability to step up his play when the games become more important. As we've probably heard before, Redden has ice water in his veins. Phillips isn't the same. He seems to have blood in his. Phillips is at that age when defenseman who take a little longer to develop start to show their mettle. Phillips is making fewer mistakes than Redden these days, and he's more of a playoff style dman.

I can see that people would say Phillips shouldn't be there. But if people want to put Redden on that list, you may as well put Phillips there instead because the World Cup or Olympics is all about being able to raise your game. Phillips has that ability. Redden doesn't.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Murphy*

Quote:
For some reason everyone (Leaf fans) thought I was comparing Phillips and McCabe. I was never doing that.

All I meant was that Phillips has been growing by leaps and bounds in the past year. If you'll notice, I never even put Redden on the team (before I get labelled a homer as well). IMO, the last couple of months Phillips has been very good, and he has something that Redden does not - the ability to step up his play when the games become more important. As we've probably heard before, Redden has ice water in his veins. Phillips isn't the same. He seems to have blood in his. Phillips is at that age when defenseman who take a little longer to develop start to show their mettle. Phillips is making fewer mistakes than Redden these days, and he's more of a playoff style dman.

I can see that people would say Phillips shouldn't be there. But if people want to put Redden on that list, you may as well put Phillips there instead because the World Cup or Olympics is all about being able to raise your game. Phillips has that ability. Redden doesn't.
Phillips is an absolute big game player. He steps it up, when it needs to be put up.

Closed Thread