HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hollweg

Old
12-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Cruxial

vCash: 500
Hollweg

I'm very disappointed in Hollweg's play thus far this season. Yes, the fourth line has been playing well as a unit, but Ryan is not doing the things that have made him an important player over the past two years. He has but one fight this season (vs. McCarthy in the 1st Atl game). His hitting is less impactful. He's stirring up no trouble whatsoever.

Let's look at these issues one at a time;

Fighting - no one expects Hollweg to be Orr, but couldn't he have made a statement againt a guy like Scott Walker during our 4-0 loss the other night?

Hitting - Yes, the league bullied and handcuffed him at the beginning of the season. But, in my point of view, in order for him to contribute he's just gonna have to risk it. What's worse, facing suspension as an NHLer, or playing passively and winding up in the ECHL?

Stirring up trouble - Hollweg is not Avery, but he's got to rile the opposition somehow. Especially without Avery in the line up. With Sean down, Ryan has got to step it up.

Thoughts?

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbern39 View Post
I'm very disappointed in Hollweg's play thus far this season. Yes, the fourth line has been playing well as a unit, but Ryan is not doing the things that have made him an important player over the past two years. He has but one fight this season (vs. McCarthy in the 1st Atl game). His hitting is less impactful. He's stirring up no trouble whatsoever.

Fighting - no one expects Hollweg to be Orr, but couldn't he have made a statement againt a guy like Scott Walker during our 4-0 loss the other night?

Hitting - Yes, the league bullied and handcuffed him at the beginning of the season. But, in my point of view, in order for him to contribute he's just gonna have to risk it. What's worse, facing suspension as an NHLer, or playing passively and winding up in the ECHL?

Stirring up trouble - Hollweg is not Avery, but he's got to rile the opposition somehow. Especially without Avery in the line up. With Sean down, Ryan has got to step it up.

Thoughts?
Been asked by Renney to play a totally different game...I too would love him to hit more, but the enire line is playing how Renney wants---skating, defensive, sound positioning, and not risking penalties...They, including Holly, ahave been doingtheir job for the most part...But they need to turn it loose more...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I think the whole team needs to turn it lose a little more. They're paying so much attention to defense that the offense is suffering greatly. A good defense is good, but sometimes too much defense makes you lose games.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:08 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbern39 View Post

Thoughts?
I'd love Renney to give the 4th line a little more leash. Hollwegs game is being suffocated more than the other two because at least Orr can fight and betts can kill penalties. You bring up a very good point about Ryan stepping up with Avery being out, i'd love to see him jump into that role until Sean gets back.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

1 Dimensional Player...

Hollweg is a 1 dimensional player. I dont like him anymore, now thats hes not with Jed. Remember the HMO line. LOL

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Cruxial

Thus far it sems that we're all in agreement. The fourth line is definately playing the way that Renney would like, I just feel that by so doing we've sacrificed an important intangible.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Its doesn't help any that he is on Bettman's "watch list" list of sorts. He has to try to find that line where he can be physical but also not get himself in trouble with borderline shenanigans. Not to mention that Renney is also using him in a slightly diffrent capacity this season. So these all lead to us fans seeing a diffrent version of Hollweg that we haven't been accustom to in his stint in NY.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Its doesn't help any that he is on Bettman's "watch list" list of sorts. He has to try to find that line where he can be physical but also not get himself in trouble with borderline shenanigans. Not to mention that Renney is also using him in a slightly diffrent capacity this season. So these all lead to us fans seeing a diffrent version of Hollweg that we haven't been accustom to in his stint in NY.
i dont see why byers cant replace him now. Byers brings more size and skill. Byers scored more in the AHL than Hollweg did.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:04 AM
NYR Viper

to be totally honest i watch every game and i am LOVING the way he is playing......let me ask you all this question.....what is so bad if hollweg becomes someone like betts, great defensivley and fast.....they do their JOB very well.....they do hit without taking themselves out of the play, and they dump the puck in making the other teams best lines go fetch, which makes their time in our defensive zone shorter.....he has been taking less penalties which was what most people were crying about earlier this year......everyone said he takes too many dumb penalties and now he isnt, and yet you all still nit-pick at him......he is a needed player....he brings grit and his game is good for that 4th line.....not every player is going to score goals all the time.....or fight all the time, its just knowing that in every shift he gives it his all......IMO Jagr should be off the team nbefore hollweg...at least holweg plays with heart....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote