HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who are your finalists for the Hart?

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Hockeyfan02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon84
Turco and the Stars were 3 games above .500 when the rest of his team was struggling. I really don't see that as carrying the team any different than what Brodeur has done (with the loss of Stevens and Rafalski). I'd take the Stars defense in the first half of the season over the Devils defense after the injuries. Two similar teams in similar situations it seems that Brodeur gets less respect by HF posters than Turco does in this thread.

EDIT:And the Devils are still in the race to win the Atlantic. They're 4 points behind with a game in hand.
Yes Stevens has been out 40 games, hes a main reason the Devils havent been as good. Rafalski has missed 10 games. Its not like hes been out a long a time. Brodeur and Turco are in similar situations where they have to play almost every night. Turco however has gotten less goal support than Brodeur (17 goals is a big differance IMO) yet they are only 1 point back of Jersey with 1 game in hand. I'm not trying to take anything away from Brodeur as he has had another great season but Turco has been more valuable to his team this season.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:36 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
What are you talking about? The Stars struggled from the gap and didn't start clicking when Turco went on a tear. Of all playoff teams, no player has led his team the way Turco has, I honestly believe this team would be at .500 if it wasn't for him. Turco has carried a Hatcherless, a Sydorless and pretty much Modano/Lehtinen-less team for about 5 straight months. There's no one enjoying career seasons, he gets minimal support and has won the most one goal games over the past 2 seasons.

And FYI, the Stars defense ranked last in +/- and points scored in the first 30 games. I can't imagine the Devs D being much worse than that, to be honest.
I hope Grezkey takes Turco when he picks the players for Team Canada. Team Canada should take Turco, Brodeur and Theodore. Turco deserves to be the starter but will be given to Brodeur for sure.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

BTW, when Turco got injured last season, the team went 4-9-1, and this was with a Norris calibre Derian Hatcher, a decent Darryl Sydor, a 31 goal scoring Selke winger and the real Mike Modano. We'll see how the team fares in the next 4 games. If the team goes 0-4 there really isn't anything left to prove my point any further.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I hope Grezkey takes Turco when he picks the players for Team Canada. Team Canada should take Turco, Brodeur and Theodore. Turco deserves to be the starter but will be given to Brodeur for sure.
Like I said before, Turco and Brodeur should be locks because both are exceptional at handling the puck. Providing a minimal difference which wouldn't require the defense to adjust or to get used to a non-puckhandling netminder. Knowing you have a 3rd defenseman behind you makes a huge difference and will limit the shots against you. The ice surface is also bigger, so I think it will only be an ever greater plus when you are a good puckhandling netminder.

Old
03-27-2004, 07:58 PM
haakon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Why does Turco deserve to be the starter? Is it because he helped Canada to their last gold medal? OH wait.

I think you can make a case for either one to be a starter. But Turco is not better than Brodeur. He's younger he'll get his chance. When he is Canada's top goalie he'll deserve it but right now it's Brodeur's era.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
If the team goes 0-4 there really isn't anything left to prove my point any further.
So far so good, 0-1..

Old
03-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
So far so good, 0-1..
Well technically, they are 0-0-0-1 :p ...but I get your point.

Old
03-29-2004, 02:04 AM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
Well technically, they are 0-0-0-1 :p ...but I get your point.
hart finalists

sakic
st louis
kovalchuk
sundin

vezina

theodore
luongo
turco all canadian goalies
brodeur

Old
03-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
So far so good, 0-1..
Still looking good, 0-2..

Old
03-29-2004, 07:14 AM
rye&ginger

Turco is a legit candidate, but without Iginla the Flames would not make the playoffs. Most valueable to his team.

Without Turco, I think the Stars would still get to the playoffs, because they would have gotten someone to help Tugnut. No one can replace Iginla in a reasonable trade.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Turco is a legit candidate, but without Iginla the Flames would not make the playoffs. Most valueable to his team.

Without Turco, I think the Stars would still get to the playoffs, because they would have gotten someone to help Tugnut. No one can replace Iginla in a reasonable trade.
While I have been very impressed with Ron Tugnutt this year, he still doesn't win us any games. The offensive support is just too inconsistant and too unreliable, especially on the road. I could guarentee the Stars would be nowhere near the playoffs without Marty Turco, and I have a hard time believing the Flames would too without Jarome Iginla, as I've consistantly heard Flames fans raving how its their defense and netminding that has them in the playoffs. Also, unless Iginla had played Selke like defense, the Hart won't be awarded to a player with 70 points in 78 games.

Old
04-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
If the team goes 0-4 there really isn't anything left to prove my point any further.
Team goes 0-4, just like when Turco was injured last season..

Old
04-03-2004, 12:21 PM
tiredman

-St-Louis
-Turco
-Iginla

Old
04-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Team goes 0-4, just like when Turco was injured last season..
Didn't Turco take the loss last night?

Old
04-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Didn't Turco take the loss last night?
No, he had a 4 game suspension, he's coming back this sunday..

Closed Thread