HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Change to points system!

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Tyrolean

vCash: 500
Change to points system!

ALthough OTL have benefited the Oilers, I hate them. The point outcome of a game should never give a bonus point for an Overtime loss. They should award 3 points for a win and one point for a tie. At least a have a system that is balanced and predictable.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:29 AM
GoingGoingGagner

Yeah but then OT would suck because no one will want to give up their precious single point. Yeah the rewards would be great, but losing that one point would suck for the team.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
ALthough OTL have benefited the Oilers, I hate them. The point outcome of a game should never give a bonus point for an Overtime loss. They should award 3 points for a win and one point for a tie. At least a have a system that is balanced and predictable.
That not the way OTL should be looked at. Alot of people make that mistake. The reason why a point for an OTL loss was brought in to begin with was because there was way too many ties in the NHL and once team would reach OT, they would play defensive hockey to a point it was ridiculous. By assuring the teams they wouldn't lose that point, they encouraged them to go for an extra point.

I don't know about you, but in 4-4 OT this year, I've seen some of the best hockey I've seen in years. If I'd have to pick, I'd keep the OTL because I dispise ties.

I

Old
04-02-2004, 09:36 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I think the points format is fine. OT is just too short for anything to happen most of the time. I would be all over a 10 minute overtime.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
I think the points format is fine. OT is just too short for anything to happen most of the time. I would be all over a 10 minute overtime.

I like this idea too. I'm also not opposed to the 3 point regulation win, 2 point OT win, 1 point tie/OT loss. That way an OT loss is only worth a third of a regulation win, not half. It would have the additional effect of providing extra incentive to win in regulation, and to win in OT.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:07 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i agree with PineJockey's version that would be really nice, but to be honest even what the NHL employs now is fine as well.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:02 PM
IceDragoon

I've learned to live with the 'loser point' because OT is exciting.
However...
I think a 10 minute, 4 on 4 OT.
No points awarded for a loss.
I can't see any team being able to play 'prevent defense' for 10 min of 4 on 4 after a full 60.
imho - Ya gotta go for the win or you're gonna lose.
win - win

Old
04-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Crazy Idea #1: No points for ties... ever.

Crazy Idea #2: Baseball rules... play until someone wins.

Crazy Idea#3: Shootout if OT period solves nothing.

None of these are my ideas and I don't necessarily agree with any of them. They would all go along way to ridding the league of ties though, in fact #2 and #3 would eliminate them completely.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Big T

What about making teams slug it out until there is an actual winner. Bring back the real sudden death OT. You would probably have to shorten the season for this (say to 70 games) but then trapping teams would have to go for it or suffer excrutiating minutes logged.

It's by no means perfect, but it does do something to help force a more exciting style of play.

I'm not sure, but how long has there been a limit to the amount of OT played? (ie only one period, 5 minutes, etc...) I wonder if the game began to be more defensive around the same period. Just a thought.

T

Edit: You beat me to this Guy

Old
04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
PineJockey

I love the play until the game ends option. But TV will never go for it and, as we all know, TV money runs sports (although it is certainly way less important for NHL than other sports).

Old
04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming

None of these are my ideas and I don't necessarily agree with any of them. They would all go along way to ridding the league of ties though, in fact #2 and #3 would eliminate them completely.
I like playing until someone wins, but that would kill teams on back-to-back games, so the league would never go for it.

What about

Crazy Idea#4: Play until someone wins, but make both teams pull their goalies after 5 minutes of 4 on 4 OT, then play until someone wins 5 on 5 with no goalies

Old
04-03-2004, 10:48 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
I love the play until the game ends option. But TV will never go for it and, as we all know, TV money runs sports (although it is certainly way less important for NHL than other sports).
They do in football, basketball and baseball...

And honestly, there are no T.V. deals in the States anyways, so who are you going to lose?

Old
04-03-2004, 10:49 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
I like playing until someone wins, but that would kill teams on back-to-back games, so the league would never go for it.

What about

Crazy Idea#4: Play until someone wins, but make both teams pull their goalies after 5 minutes of 4 on 4 OT, then play until someone wins 5 on 5 with no goalies
That's something you find in a pee wee hockey tournament. Leave the goalies in net, they are just as important as any other player.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming

I agree up until the shootout nonsense. Play sudden death until their is a winner. Scrap ties and force the teams to finish the games.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:43 PM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
They do in football, basketball and baseball...

And honestly, there are no T.V. deals in the States anyways, so who are you going to lose?
In none of those games to ties happen as often as in hockey, and they are almost always decided quickly.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
I am pretty sure Canadian TV (TSN, Sportsnet, CBC) would benefit emensly from having more live hockey for OT rather than airing re-runs of Davinci's Inquest, World's Strongest Man, or Billiards. I ratings they want - then this would be a perfect fit.

Closed Thread