HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hope Klesla is Okay

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 11:20 AM
kyle

vCash: 500
The hit was either dirty or careless; take your pick.

Every single player is aware of when line changes are occurring: they have to be to avoid Too Many Men penalties. Either Maltby knew the door was open and hit Klesla into it OR he wasn't aware it was open in which case he is a reckless and careless hockey player.

I don't see anyway around that point.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:56 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Either Maltby knew the door was open and hit Klesla into it OR he wasn't aware it was open in which case he is a reckless and careless hockey player.

kind of a broad spectrum, and subsequent tough end view of it.

So, he either knew the door was open and did it on purpose.. Making him an ass.. Or he didnt know the door was open, in which case he SHOULD of knew, making him an ass.

Ill go for the third one, the view that ESPN, The CBJ TV and Radio announcers, as well as The wings and thier announcers are taking. Maltby was backchecking and finished his check on Klesla, who unfortunatly went into an open door. Nobody was at fault, as the angle maltby came from lead him no way to see the door. Its a shame to see it, but Klesla only has a bruise, and it could of been a lot worse. Nobody is at fault, as it was an accident and there is no way you could expect anybody to take it the other way.

Or, well thats what the guys calling the game in Columbus said.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle

Every single player is aware of when line changes are occurring: they have to be to avoid Too Many Men penalties. Either Maltby knew the door was open and hit Klesla into it OR he wasn't aware it was open in which case he is a reckless and careless hockey player.

I don't think it's an either or situation.

Maltby was probably aware that players were changing, because he too was going to be changing. But that doesn't necessarily means he should be aware that the door is open or closed or that his hit will be timed perfectly so Klesla falls into the open door.

With so much going on and things happening so fast in a game, I find it hard to believe most stuff like that is premeditated. With the speed of the game at the NHL level, it's hard enough just to line a guy up and hit him, let alone try to execute a move that would send him into an open door.

It was most likely that he saw Klesla with the puck and wanted to rub him out along the boards, so he did.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
What a clever retort.

S L

Old
04-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
What a clever retort.

S L

Thanks, I liked it too. I figured I would just save my breath. Because even when someone tries to give an opinion on this, all we get is Wings biased thrown in our faces. I am a Wings fan, obviously. But I know hockey. I am not a rose-colored glasses type of fan. If somebody on the Wings does something stupid, I am first in line to criticize. I am just tired of everyone claiming that we disagree simply because we are Wings fans. We can argue till we are blue in the face, but in the end somebody just brings the Wings bias part back into the conversation.

So I figured I would just give a little roll of the eyes, because it matters NOT what we have to say. We are just bias Wings fans....right?????

Old
04-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Thanks, I liked it too. I figured I would just save my breath. Because even when someone tries to give an opinion on this, all we get is Wings biased thrown in our faces. I am a Wings fan, obviously. But I know hockey. I am not a rose-colored glasses type of fan. If somebody on the Wings does something stupid, I am first in line to criticize. I am just tired of everyone claiming that we disagree simply because we are Wings fans. We can argue till we are blue in the face, but in the end somebody just brings the Wings bias part back into the conversation.

So I figured I would just give a little roll of the eyes, because it matters NOT what we have to say. We are just bias Wings fans....right?????
So, as I suspected, you didn't actually read my post. I'll present it again, for your edification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Even if Maltby didn't intentionally hit Klesla into the bench, it's a careless play, and a dangerous one that can really hurt a player. That said, this type of stuff should be handled just like high-sticking. If you want to gamble on whether or not the door is open before you make a hit, you should have to pay if you make the wrong decision -- Maltby should have been assessed a major penalty for being unaware, or the team should have been issued a bench penalty for having the door open where the puck was in play.
I don't think I reserved any special criticism for the Wings or Maltby here. I was making the more general point that players (on the ice, or controlling the bench door) should be held responsible when they do something around the bench that puts a player at a special risk. I think the high sticking analogy is appropriate -- you're allowing to have your stick in the air, but if happens to smack a guy in the face you pay a price for your carelessness.

S L

Old
04-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
I was making the more general point that players (on the ice, or controlling the bench door) should be held responsible when they do something around the bench that puts a player at a special risk. I think the high sticking analogy is appropriate -- you're allowing to have your stick in the air, but if happens to smack a guy in the face you pay a price for your carelessness.

S L
But players are the only ones in control of their own sticks. Whereas they have little or no control over the bench door being open.

So by your logic should McCarty have gotten a penalty for opening the door?

Old
04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
So, as I suspected, you didn't actually read my post. I'll present it again, for your edification:

I don't think I reserved any special criticism for the Wings or Maltby here. I was making the more general point that players (on the ice, or controlling the bench door) should be held responsible when they do something around the bench that puts a player at a special risk. I think the high sticking analogy is appropriate -- you're allowing to have your stick in the air, but if happens to smack a guy in the face you pay a price for your carelessness.

S L
S L, I didnt mean to implicate you PERSONALLY, and I apologize if thats the way it came across. I was simply responding to your post in a general manner.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepts
But players are the only ones in control of their own sticks. Whereas they have little or no control over the bench door being open.

So by your logic should McCarty have gotten a penalty for opening the door?
So you're unfamiliar with the notion of a "bench penalty"? And yes, one option is assessing (any player on the bench) a penalty for opening the door at a dangerous and inoportune time.

S L

Old
04-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
So you're unfamiliar with the notion of a "bench penalty"? And yes, one option is assessing (any player on the bench) a penalty for opening the door at a dangerous and inoportune time.

S L
No Captain Sarcastic, I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of a bench penalty.

I just think it would be ridiculous to assess a penalty to a player on the bench because he opened the door at "an inopportune time."

What exactly constitutes an inopportune time?

With a game that moves as quickly as hockey, how will a player know when it's completely safe to open the door? especially when they're changing on the fly and there's several players from both teams milling around the benches.

So they shouldn't open the door during major line changes (which will almost always be potentially dangerous because of the number of players entering and exiting the ice) even though that's when they most need the door open?

Old
04-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Higgy4

Quote:

S L

This is just dumb. Yes, if a player is sitting on the bench and sees that an opposing player is heading right for the door and he opens it purposely to cause the player to fall into the bench...then I agree. But when has that ever happened?

The whole Klesla thing happened right at the time of a line change. McCarty was coming in the door after his change. So you think the teams should now be held accountable for making sure that their line changes do not injure anybody?

Closed Thread