HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Thorton

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2004, 12:28 PM
  #26
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Bruins or Sens, Sens or Bruins...or Leafs?

The Bruins don't take the Habs as seriously as they should...or at least some of them don't - see Rolston's brilliant comments. I like the way the Habs match up against the Bruins defence - speed can kill. But I fear Raycroft who may very well be the next incarnation of the first-year goalie that carries his team all the way. If Joe's in the lineup, I think over the course of a long series, he could be the difference. If he's not there, I have my doubts about their long-term abilities.

The Sens? Terribly talented, though I'm not sure the leadership there has them playing so well as a team. If there's a team with fewer holes, though, I'd love to have it pointed out. Now, I like their goaltending situation as a Hab fan. Lalime is iffy at the best of times and they refuse to use Emery, instead going with Prusek as the backup, despite Emery probably being the best of the three.

The Buds? I like the way we match up against them in terms of speed, but I don't like the type of game they get away with playing - a game which only approximates hockey, yet which they are built for and which is somehow allowed in the playoffs. They also have a ton of experience over there, and sometimes that's the deciding factor. I'd be worried if I were them about the goaltending situation, if Belfry falters, doom is a four letter word spelled K-i-d-d.

*shrugs* I don't really care who we play, the series are long and adjustments can be made no matter what.

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 12:31 PM
  #27
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
And just to make you not so comfortable if we'll manage to beat NJD back to back without Thornton I don't see any problems playing the Habs.

GO GO!!!
i hoping you guys beat those devils and play us, your alote less scary and talented then ottawa and toronto.
besides we'll truly whoop yo A$$.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
  #28
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
i hoping you guys beat those devils and play us, your alote less scary and talented then ottawa and toronto.
besides we'll truly whoop yo A$$.
Still more talented than you...and we don't have to be "scary" to beat you too. Wow.."truly woop yo A$$". Ar you trying to scare me? :lol

Guy!..I think you're wrong. I highly doubt B's players(specially after upset of 2002) will underestmate Habs. Too me it looks more like Habs fans and media are underestimating Bruins this time around.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 12:56 PM
  #29
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Still more talented than you...and we don't have to be "scary" to beat you too. Wow.."truly woop yo A$$". Ar you trying to scare me? :lol

Guy!..I think you're wrong. I highly doubt B's players(specially after upset of 2002) will underestmate Habs. Too me it looks more like Habs fans and media are underestimating Bruins this time around.
yup
the bruins are not as good as team as there rank suggests. as for talent? b's have equal maybe a tad more than the habs roster but it all wont matter when we whoop you guyz just like we did 2 years ago with a far less talented team.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:05 PM
  #30
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
yup
the bruins are not as good as team as there rank suggests. as for talent? b's have equal maybe a tad more than the habs roster but it all wont matter when we whoop you guyz just like we did 2 years ago with a far less talented team.
Wow...you sure whooped us...

Looked like you held for your dear life out there.

If you want to talk about real whooping look at the last 2 games of Habs - Carolina series. That was some whooping.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:07 PM
  #31
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Wow...you sure whooped us...

Looked like you held for your dear life out there.

If you want to talk about real whooping look at the last 2 games of Habs - Carolina series. That was some whooping.
waz that the series the bruins were watching while playing golf
sorry bruins girl but come playoff time those overtime losses wont help you guys much.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:09 PM
  #32
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Wow...you sure whooped us...

Looked like you held for your dear life out there.

If you want to talk about real whooping look at the last 2 games of Habs - Carolina series. That was some whooping.
Hey, no fair bringing in a third party. How 'bout you guys losing to the Flyers in 74 ?
Sorry, no fair going back 30 years. What's the old Hab fan joke ? It takes 4 Hab fans to change a light bulb. 1 to actually change it and 3 to talk about how good the old light bulb was.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
  #33
Harry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Hey, no fair bringing in a third party. How 'bout you guys losing to the Flyers in 74 ?
Sorry, no fair going back 30 years. What's the old Hab fan joke ? It takes 4 Hab fans to change a light bulb. 1 to actually change it and 3 to talk about how good the old light bulb was.
Nice retort Mcphee. So sad to watch people living in the past :

Harry is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
  #34
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Guy!..I think you're wrong. I highly doubt B's players(specially after upset of 2002) will underestmate Habs. Too me it looks more like Habs fans and media are underestimating Bruins this time around.
I was merely referring to the juicy quote that Rolston said just before the last time the two teams met. Something to the effect that if the Bruins played to their best ability the Habs had a snowball's chance in hell - which tells me that at least he is underestimating the Habs. I would make an educated guess and say that he wouldn't toss out commentary like that on his own without having some of the guys agreeing with him. Then again, it could be just him, I have no clue about his intelligence level, only the way he plays the game.

I have no quarrel with you saying many Hab fans are underestimating the Bruins, however, in fact I completely agree. There's far too much commentary about Raycroft's "probable" demise, when I think he's done a stand-up job at proving that he's both reliable and not easily swayed by any pressure. This Bruin team is much better than that of '02 and while the Hab team is infinitely better than when last we met in the playoffs, I think the Bruin team is closing in on the 'elite' category while the Habs are comfortably in the 'respectable and can play with any team' zone.

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
  #35
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Nice retort Mcphee. So sad to watch people living in the past :
Not sad at all, best thing about being a sports fan is that you can talk about past present and future. Being a Habs fan, there's a great past to talk about,hopefully a great future, it's the recent past I try to avoid. I'd much rather discuss having seen Beliveau or Robinson than Lind or Traverse. For that matter, Komi or Higgins interest me more than Darby and Poulin.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:22 PM
  #36
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I was merely referring to the juicy quote that Rolston said just before the last time the two teams met. Something to the effect that if the Bruins played to their best ability the Habs had a snowball's chance in hell - which tells me that at least he is underestimating the Habs. I would make an educated guess and say that he wouldn't toss out commentary like that on his own without having some of the guys agreeing with him. Then again, it could be just him, I have no clue about his intelligence level, only the way he plays the game.

I have no quarrel with you saying many Hab fans are underestimating the Bruins, however, in fact I completely agree. There's far too much commentary about Raycroft's "probable" demise, when I think he's done a stand-up job at proving that he's both reliable and not easily swayed by any pressure. This Bruin team is much better than that of '02 and while the Hab team is infinitely better than when last we met in the playoffs, I think the Bruin team is closing in on the 'elite' category while the Habs are comfortably in the 'respectable and can play with any team' zone.

ACF
Last paragraph sums it up pretty well. About Rolston, do you think that matters to professionals a whole lot ? It's best to keep your mouth shut, but if you need clippings on the board to get fired up.... I don't know.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:26 PM
  #37
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
We didn't hear that interview with Rolston but with the way he is playing lately I wouldn't talk at all.

More reasonable answer would be : "If the Bruins played to their best ability they could beat anybody"...

No Brian go and play to your best ability! (Something I hadn't seen from him for awile)

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:33 PM
  #38
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Not sad at all, best thing about being a sports fan is that you can talk about past present and future. Being a Habs fan, there's a great past to talk about,hopefully a great future, it's the recent past I try to avoid. I'd much rather discuss having seen Beliveau or Robinson than Lind or Traverse. For that matter, Komi or Higgins interest me more than Darby and Poulin.
I take it then that the spectacular play provided by Patrick Traverse failed to impress your lofty "Robinson" standards? I find myself vaguely insulted that you would not find Poulin's talents as defensive stalwart and all-around leader of a higher standard than that of Balding Bob Gainey. And I take umbrage at your insinuation that Johan Witehall pales in comparison to the smear named Beliveau when you're talking about grace and ability on the ice.

The teams produced by the superior management in the late 90's and early 00's would lay waste in head-to-head matches against the flimsily-named "Dynasty" of the 70's. Will you now tell me that Lazy Ken Dryden is better than uber-stopper Stephane Fiset?

Madness, I tell you.

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:37 PM
  #39
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Last paragraph sums it up pretty well. About Rolston, do you think that matters to professionals a whole lot ? It's best to keep your mouth shut, but if you need clippings on the board to get fired up.... I don't know.
Well, since just about every team confirms the stories about placing clippings on the wall, then I'd guess that yes, even pros like to have that extra motivation. I would guess that it works more for some players and less for others: Darcy Tucker, I'm sure, would get incredibly worked up over stuff like that whereas Marcus Naslund would shrug, give his half smile, then move on to another topic.

I guess it depends on the personality of the player in question. I don't think that should take away from those who get more worked up over the clippings, it just says to me that they're different players who respond to different things.

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:43 PM
  #40
THORNTON19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
waz that the series the bruins were watching while playing golf
sorry bruins girl but come playoff time those overtime losses wont help you guys much.
Umm we have 3 more OT losses than the Habs and 12 LESS regulation losses. I don't think all those regulation loses will help the Habs either

THORNTON19 is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:45 PM
  #41
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I take it then that the spectacular play provided by Patrick Traverse failed to impress your lofty "Robinson" standards? I find myself vaguely insulted that you would not find Poulin's talents as defensive stalwart and all-around leader of a higher standard than that of Balding Bob Gainey. And I take umbrage at your insinuation that Johan Witehall pales in comparison to the smear named Beliveau when you're talking about grace and ability on the ice.

The teams produced by the superior management in the late 90's and early 00's would lay waste in head-to-head matches against the flimsily-named "Dynasty" of the 70's. Will you now tell me that Lazy Ken Dryden is better than uber-stopper Stephane Fiset?

Madness, I tell you.

ACF
I don't know about that, Guy! I think Shutt-Lemaire-Lafleur would give Rucinsky-Zholtok-Savage a run for their money. I'm not saying they'd beat them or anything, but they'd keep it close.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:50 PM
  #42
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON19
Umm we have 3 more OT losses than the Habs and 12 LESS regulation losses. I don't think all those regulation loses will help the Habs either
either way i really hope we play you guys first round it should be fun

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
  #43
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I don't know about that, Guy! I think Shutt-Lemaire-Lafleur would give Rucinsky-Zholtok-Savage a run for their money. I'm not saying they'd beat them or anything, but they'd keep it close.
Blasphemer!

Lafleur couldn't run, for starters, he'd be too busy smoking! And Steve Shutt? Pffffffffff. I mean, did you see the way he looked in a helmet? 'Nuff said. Lemaire played like he coached, boring and trappy - no flair, no real talent, just a clutch-and-grab buffoon.

Imagine comparing those three to Rosie, perhaps the greatest player to ever wear the 26 on the Habs (sorry Naslund...and Dagenais *cough*). Zholtok was the king of showing up eery night and every shift. Was there a harder working player in the history of the Habs? And we *all* know what Savage could have done had he not been marked for termination by the league at the end of October. Injuries were the only thing that prevented him from being the league's one and only 100-goal scorer.

Such disrespect for our legends. Imagine...

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:52 PM
  #44
THORNTON19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
either way i really hope we play you guys first round it should be fun
Yup, it would be a lot of fun......hopefully a different outcome this time around though

THORNTON19 is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 01:58 PM
  #45
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
waz that the series the bruins were watching while playing golf
sorry bruins girl but come playoff time those overtime losses wont help you guys much.


I love how you are bragging about OT Losses yet Habs clinched playoff berth as a result OTL.


Come on...OT in regular season and playoffs are two completely different things. And we have more OT wins than losses too FYI.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 03:06 PM
  #46
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 38,380
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I was merely referring to the juicy quote that Rolston said just before the last time the two teams met. Something to the effect that if the Bruins played to their best ability the Habs had a snowball's chance in hell - which tells me that at least he is underestimating the Habs. I would make an educated guess and say that he wouldn't toss out commentary like that on his own without having some of the guys agreeing with him. Then again, it could be just him, I have no clue about his intelligence level, only the way he plays the game.

I have no quarrel with you saying many Hab fans are underestimating the Bruins, however, in fact I completely agree. There's far too much commentary about Raycroft's "probable" demise, when I think he's done a stand-up job at proving that he's both reliable and not easily swayed by any pressure. This Bruin team is much better than that of '02 and while the Hab team is infinitely better than when last we met in the playoffs, I think the Bruin team is closing in on the 'elite' category while the Habs are comfortably in the 'respectable and can play with any team' zone.

ACF
Rolston only spoke the truth..If both teams play to their highest level, Bruins win going away......

Habs fans should also be very confident...You guys have a super team as well....(until the past few, but no biggie)....

Should be a great series if we play.....

WBC8 is offline  
Old
04-03-2004, 02:02 PM
  #47
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Nice retort Mcphee. So sad to watch people living in the past :

considering thats all we here about........Habs past..........Ha!! your one to talk

bb_fan is online now  
Old
04-03-2004, 02:05 PM
  #48
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,914
vCash: 500
Lobel(Bruins analyst I guess) says that Thornton may be done for the year and it would be a miracle if he played in the playoffs.

Traitor8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.