Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger's play this season

Old
12-07-2007, 11:20 AM
caliamad

vCash: 500
Pronger's play this season

Has anyone noticed a dramatic change in Pronger's play this season.

I know he's been beaten on some plays (sometimes badly), when forwards have a ton of speed coming into the offensive, but overall, I'm wondering where this physicality, mobility was last year.

Last year he looked like a slug, only effective on the power play & penality kill. This year he's been much more of a force.

I wonder how much of this is being in situations he wasn't in last year with Niedermayer. I hope he keeps his play up.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
For a second I thought you were saying he's been bad.

I agree, he's been great. The last game against San Jose was particularly amazing. Especially when he had to deal with Joe Thornton.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:59 AM
tmntdonjuan

Personally I thought last year he was better up until his first injury. I agree he would be sluggish at times, but he led defensemen in assists and +/-. I would say this year his play has dropped somewhat, understandable with the cup hangover.

tmntdonjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:06 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 0
What worries me is that he's ALREADY surpassed last year's PIM totals. Granted 30 minutes of that have been 10 minute misconducts, but he's too important to have off the ice for that much time whether it means a PK or not. He's also not had nearly as many goals (a lot of that is due to Schneider).

But yeah, other than that he's looked pretty good.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Jezz*

Anyone got his icetime compared to last yr? I'd have to think he's playing a lot more minutes against the #1 line of the other team as compared to last yr, when Nieds-Beauch did all the heavy lifting. Could be why he's got more PIMS this yr. But I agree with OP, I think his play this yr has been great, that long reach is the same as Nieds' skating. Allows him to make plays in the d-zone other guys just can't.

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:54 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezz View Post
Anyone got his icetime compared to last yr? I'd have to think he's playing a lot more minutes against the #1 line of the other team as compared to last yr, when Nieds-Beauch did all the heavy lifting. Could be why he's got more PIMS this yr. But I agree with OP, I think his play this yr has been great, that long reach is the same as Nieds' skating. Allows him to make plays in the d-zone other guys just can't.
Ding ding ding!

Watch how much more effective Pronger becomes with Scotty back. He could finish the year as strong Norris candidate.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Lyons71

Pronger's been pretty good the last 10 games or so. He just never loses any battles against the boards, and always gets the puck to teammates. Although, he, and all the other defenseman have been incredibly lazy this year. They all just shove the puck up to the forwards and don't support the offense.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:52 PM
SonOfBraincramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
Pronger's been pretty good the last 10 games or so. He just never loses any battles against the boards, and always gets the puck to teammates. Although, he, and all the other defenseman have been incredibly lazy this year. They all just shove the puck up to the forwards and don't support the offense.
You are not watching the same guy that has been beaten on the far post at least 4 times now. He stands like a pylon watching the puck and never looks at a player coming in from his side behind him.

You see the last play by him against the Preds. Horrible cross ice pass then fell on his arse to allow the goal...

He has a great poke check, is physical and a great player. I take nothing away from him for being a top 5 defender in the league, but he has dropped a notch.

But he gets beat often when going against speedy players, is caught 'watching' a whole lot, and now is way more tentative on shooting on the power play. Most of his points are assists on the power play, he thinks he is Andy Mac. Just shoot the dang thing!

Maybe it is the pairing and being on the top line of D which shows how he can be exploited by the other teams best line.

With scotty back, drop him down to line 2 and see him dominate the 2nd and 3rd line guys, which he might have some energy when it comes to the powerplay and penalty kill.

SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

I think his play has dropped a bit this season. He still makes excellent plays but he's less effective because it seems like he's reacting to plays rather than controlling the play like last season.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Randall Graves*

He's pretty much the go to defensemen because we haven't had Niedermayer for him to split those with, he's playing tougher minutes.

I would love to see Pronger and Niedermayer get some extended minutes together, you'd still have an excellent 2nd pair depending if we can keep Schneids and Beauchemin.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfBraincramp View Post
You are not watching the same guy that has been beaten on the far post at least 4 times now. He stands like a pylon watching the puck and never looks at a player coming in from his side behind him.

You see the last play by him against the Preds. Horrible cross ice pass then fell on his arse to allow the goal...

He has a great poke check, is physical and a great player. I take nothing away from him for being a top 5 defender in the league, but he has dropped a notch.

But he gets beat often when going against speedy players, is caught 'watching' a whole lot, and now is way more tentative on shooting on the power play. Most of his points are assists on the power play, he thinks he is Andy Mac. Just shoot the dang thing!

Maybe it is the pairing and being on the top line of D which shows how he can be exploited by the other teams best line.

With scotty back, drop him down to line 2 and see him dominate the 2nd and 3rd line guys, which he might have some energy when it comes to the powerplay and penalty kill.
I didn't see any of the Nashville game. He probably was bad. When he doesn't have a good game, the Ducks pretty much lose. haha

But I've taken the time this year to notice all the little things he does. He's been meaner, but he hasn't been getting away with it as much. I agree, he seems to not want to shoot on the powerplay. I wouldn't read into that too much though, he just has such good options around him, he's probably just getting too unselfish.

I think the D as a whole has been remarkably lazy at helping the forwards transition through the neutral zone. He's no exception. The Ducks have to battle more. They as a team have lacked hunger, except a few players...

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:51 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

A little of topic, but I think Franky's play is gonna shoot up with Nieds coming back, him more so than Pronger.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
A little of topic, but I think Franky's play is gonna shoot up with Nieds coming back, him more so than Pronger.
Everything will I hope. The PP, the PK, Franky's play, the offense, the defense....

Just everything will become so much better (hopefully)!

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:54 AM
lux_interior

To me, Pronger hasn't been as good as last year. Like the team, he has been inconsistent; sometimes great, sometimes mediocre.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior View Post
To me, Pronger hasn't been as good as last year. Like the team, he has been inconsistent; sometimes great, sometimes mediocre.
My opinion as well. I remember last season he just seemed to storm out of the gates, and it wasn't until he got injured that his play degraded a bit, and that was when he first came back.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote