HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Aftonbladet: "Lundqvist to negotiate for new ≈$6.7M/year deal"

Old
12-10-2007, 02:14 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Aftonbladet: "Lundqvist to negotiate for new ≈$6.7M/year deal"

Just translating the important parts...

Dream salary - 300,000,000 SEK

Talks for new super contract scheduled - "I like playing here"

He recorded his fifth shutout on the season last night and will soon be one of the wealthiest hockey Swedes. In early January, Henrik Lundqvist will start negotiating for a new contract, possibly paying him $40M to $50M.

"Me and Glen Sather have a meeting scheduled after the holidays. All parties are looking to sign a long-term deal for five to six years," agent Don Meehan says.

"We're comparing Henrik to the best, as are the Rangers. He should get as much as Khabibulin and Luongo, the NHL's top-paid goalies who are both making around $6.7M."

Lundqvist himself has few comments. "I know they've got a meeting set up," says Henrik after the win against the Devils. I'm just gonna let 'Donnie' handle that and focus on the games."

However, he's not denying he likes the city that calls him "the King".

"No, I like playing and living here, no doubt about it."

"Henrik is probably going to contend for the Vezina and maybe even the Hart this year. Me and Sather have discussed Henrik's future and they're looking to ink a long-term deal, as well," Meehan says.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle1431549.ab

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 02:33 AM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Not really news, this was expected for a while.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 02:38 AM
TheZherdev

a 40 million dollar deal over 5 years? 8 million a season is a lot, but for the king id do it in a heart beat. Hopefully henrik gives us a little more wiggle salary wiggle room than that. We probably could have gotten him to a lot cheaper deal over the off season instead of that 1 year deal. O well.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Mrpuck

I love the King and want to lock him up long term. But I hope he realizes we need to field a team around him and at 7+mil a year that will make it much more difficult.

If he took more of a Brodeur deal which I think was 5.2mil over 6 years? Would put this team in a much better position. Hell even give him 10mil the first few years, only the average counts against the cap.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:26 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
The actual amounts quoted are pure speculation, just a comparison with what Luongo and Chabibulin are making.
With current trends I think we can expect a heavily front-loaded contract, but the amounts are anyone's guess. He won't come cheap...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id give henrik 5, 10, 20, A billion, 1000 tacos, whatever the hell he wants, just lock his ass up in Ranger blue for the rest of his career.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
I love the King and want to lock him up long term. But I hope he realizes we need to field a team around him and at 7+mil a year that will make it much more difficult.

If he took more of a Brodeur deal which I think was 5.2mil over 6 years? Would put this team in a much better position. Hell even give him 10mil the first few years, only the average counts against the cap.
if any player has earned his money, its Henrik.

he shouldnt be lowballed just because we are grossly overpaying drury and gomez. id literally give him anything he wants. this team would be dreaming about the #1 pick this year if it werent for Henrik.

Old
12-10-2007, 05:17 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
The actual amounts quoted are pure speculation, just a comparison with what Luongo and Chabibulin are making.
With current trends I think we can expect a heavily front-loaded contract, but the amounts are anyone's guess. He won't come cheap...
Yep, and one should keep in mind that it's printed in a swedish tabloid and the source is Hank's agent, Don Meehan.

The figures they quote is based on Khabibulin and Luongo, 40 - 45 MSEK (about 6 to 7 MUSD) per year, and 5 or 6 years.

A quick application of a calculator gives 200 (5*40) to 270 (6*45), (31 to 41 MUSD), which in the headline is rounded up to 300 (46 MUSD).

And trying to stay objective I'd say that 6-7M for 5-6 years sounds like a reasonable range for Hank.

Edit: based on USD at 6.5 SEK, noone knows what rate they used in the article.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:35 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

He's a youngster, sign him for 7 years at 6.75 per.

47.25 million over 7 years

He's more than earned that

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

So the dance begins.

Don Meehan says $6.7 million.Miikka Kiprusoff recently sign a 5 year extension

Quote:
KIPPER’S DEAL: There seems to be some confusion out there regarding Miikka Kiprusoff’s contract extension with the Calgary Flames. The only number that should matter to hockey fans is $5.8 million -- that’s average salary of the deal and the number that will count against the salary cap for the entirety of the contract.

The deal calls for an $8.5-million salary next season, $7 million in 2009-10 and in 2010-11, $6 million in 2011-12, $5 million in 2012-13 and only $1.5 million in 2013-14.

It could also turn out to be a work of genius by both agent Larry Kelly and Flames GM Darryl Sutter.

What if the 31-year-old Kiprusoff, for example, decides to retire before the contract runs its full course? If he ends up playing four years of the extension instead of six, he will have earned on average $7.25 million a year in the new deal. On the flip side, the Flames will have only been charged $5.8 million against the cap during that time
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2007/...pierre_lebrun/

Vezina Trophy in 2006 and carried the Flames to the Finals in 2004

The Rangers overpaid Lundqvist by about $1.5 million in the summer.They should deduct $300,000 per season of the 5 year deal.$2.75 million was more than enough.Ryan Miller money

The Rangers should frontload the deal

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Sockosensei

Frankly, he's got a gun to our head, and we HAVE to pay him whatever he demands, because he's the only player on the team who's irreplaceable. (He also deserves whatever he gets.)

Hopefully he cares enough about 1) us having enough $ to put a winning team around him, 2) playing in NY, and 3) what the guys in the room think about him. I think he does, but my fingers are crossed anyway.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:37 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
So the dance begins.

Don Meehan says $6.7 million. Miikka Kiprusoff recently sign a 5 year extension
Actually.
Don Meehan doesn't state any figures at all.

He stated that he is looking at Loungo and Kipper as guideline and is expecting a 5-6 year contract.

Which must be regarded as a fair assessment of the situation.

All actual figures stated are added by the reporters for clarification (there's very limited amount people in sweden who knows who they are and what salary they have).

The figures are then blown up once more by the editor to create a catchy headline.

Old
12-10-2007, 07:14 AM
eco's bones

The best time for negotiating a long term contract for less money would have been over the summer. We fixed or tried to fix other problems at the time. With Henrik a season and a half away from possible UFA status he has more control over the situation. There is no doubt that the team is his now--that he is the most important player on the team. That he carries the team and will carry the team at least for the next several years--so I think it will be difficult to play hardball with him. He is better than Ryan Miller. There's not a goalie in the league I'd rather have and he needs to be locked up ASAP.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Peter The Great

Don Meehan is one of the best and most experienced agents...

No, Henrik won't come cheap but he is worth it and truly an investment for the future.

One possible problem in the negotiations may be the fact that I'm sure that Sather knows that Henrik really, really want to stay long term in Rangers. If Sather uses this fact and try to get him cheaper than he's worth then it would be a mistake.

He simply should be payed as one of the best goalies in the NHL, anything else is disrespectful. Why? Because he is one of the top three goalies in the NHL, simple as that.

Talking about money I'm sure that Henrik gives Lots of money back to the Rangers. (Increased interest, jerseys, souvenirs etc, etc) Money wise I'm sure that he is one of the best "investments" in Rangers, perhaps the number one, even if he is payed $7-$8 million / year.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:42 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
One possible problem in the negotiations may be the fact that I'm sure that Sather knows that Henrik really, really want to stay long term in Rangers. If Sather uses this fact and try to get him cheaper than he's worth then it would be a mistake.
It's possible but one should keep in mind that the negotiations are between Sather and Meehan, not directly with Hank.

And quite frankly, Meehan is bound by contract (and incentives) to get the best possible contract for his client.

Sure Hank loves Manhattan, but give him a bunch of millions more and he might even ponder the frozen wasteland Edmonton for some years.

Hey those extra millions will buy him an even nicer apartment in NYC

Not that I think it will happen, Meehan and Sather will agree in january. But just remember who the actual dealers are.

(And remember to check the sources when reading media reports).

Old
12-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Now here's a guy who's worth every penny

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Sure Hank loves Manhattan, but give him a bunch of millions more and he might even ponder the frozen wasteland Edmonton for some years.
We all know that this won't happen. Hank simply won't leave the Rangers of free will, not even for $1-$2 millions more / year. Not at this stage of his career. I'm 100 procent sure of this.

The worst thing that could happen is that Rangers management screw this up.... but I find it extremely unlikely. It would be a sensation.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:17 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
We all know that this won't happen. Hank simply won't leave the Rangers of free will, not even for $1-$2 millions more / year. Not at this stage of his career. I'm 100 procent sure of this.

The worst thing that could happen is that Rangers management screw this up.... but I find it extremely unlikely. It would be a sensation.
Yeah I agree.

I fall in with the general concensus, 6-7M, 5-6 years, +/- 10%.

Old
12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Colorado Avalanche

You trade/dump Drury/Gomez before you let Lundqvist go. Give him what he wants.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:36 AM
UAGoalieGuy

The Rangers are in no position to lowball Lundqvist. If he wants a similar deal to Luongo and The Bulin Wall (Even though Bulin is no where near the top in the league in goaltending), then you give it to him. As he goes the Rangers go, basically. These last few games have proved that. If he doesn't play up to his superstart status, the Rangers lose. When he does, the Rangers usually win. Right now he is def. one of the front-runners for the Vezina and if he keeps this up, I think he def. will be considered for the Hart. I mean hell, he is on pace for like 14 shutouts and his GAA is below 2.

If a deal that pays Lundqvist $6.7 over the term of the contract is what he wants, you give it to him. Yes it might handcuff the team from making some major additions, but it has to be done.

When you look at the deals signed by Kipper and Broduer (Actually Broduer gets paid the same through out the entire contract, but still, lol) that are front loaded with them only making a million or two at the end of the contract, you have to understand that at the ends of each of those contracts, Kipper will be 36 and Broduer will be 39! When Lundqvist's deal is up after 6 years he will only be 31 and more than likely still in his prime.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Contract options count toward the salary cap average, yes? Is there any reason why contracts these days under the new CBA can't contain several years of player options at the league minimum? Sure, it is a blatant abuse of the CBA, but it can give a few teams a leg up, no?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Give him 15 years!!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Give him 15 20 years!!
Fixed

Old
12-10-2007, 09:45 AM
RFAN

All of a sudden Wang doesn't look like such an idiot with the DP contract. We all made fun but now would be more than happy to do the same for King Henry?

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

whats the Kings record vs Brodeur?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote