HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was this season a waste of time?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2004, 10:10 PM
  #1
ziggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Was this season a waste of time?

Just wondering what you people think about this regular season. I live in Sweden and donīt get to see that many games, but I try to follow NHL-hockey as good as I can.

So, was this season a letdown?
I think it was.

Evidence #1: No team dominated completely. Of corse the usual suspects is at the top of the standings, but I wouldnīt feel comfertable on betting on a Stanley Cup for, say, the Colorado Avalanche or even Detroit. Heading into this season Ottawa and Colorado was among the favorits to dominate, but they havenīt.

Evidence #2: Who will win the trophys? Who would you have for Hart? Martin St. Louis? Cīmon. Thereīs not a starplayer that has dominated this season, no 100-point scorer, not a single 50-goal scorer. As of now the Rocket Award will go in three pieces to Iginla, Rick Nash and Kovalchuk, who all have scored 40 goals, with a game or two to go. Same with Vezina, I donīt see one goaltender that has been that outstanding. Lotīs of rookies, some really good, but no major sensation I would say.

Evidence #3:Lack of surprises. San Jose has had a great year, they were supposed to be quite bad this year, but came along nicely. Other than that there has been no big sensation in the standings. Calgary might be a Cinderellateam come the play offs, but theyīre 3rd in their division.

All in all a pretty boring season. And then of course there may be no hockey next year.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

ziggy is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 10:14 PM
  #2
Youreallygotme
Registered User
 
Youreallygotme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
couldve been better, but it depends on what happens in the playoffs.if there is a new champion crowned, and a dominant playoff scoring leader(unlike neidermayer last year with only 2 goals) then i wont say it was a bore.

Youreallygotme is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 10:16 PM
  #3
electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Back from Italy
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Evidence #1: No team dominated completely. Of corse the usual suspects is at the top of the standings, but I wouldnīt feel comfertable on betting on a Stanley Cup for, say, the Colorado Avalanche or even Detroit. Heading into this season Ottawa and Colorado was among the favorits to dominate, but they havenīt.
Good. I hate it when one team is dominating everything... it takes away from the competition. I'd rather have 5 or 6 teams contending for the cup than knowing who will win it before the season starts, like in the late 70s/early 80s.

electric is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 10:31 PM
  #4
Cap'n Flavour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Romania
Posts: 2,776
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
... no. The league hasn't been this competitive in quite a while. If you think that's a bad thing, well, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're objectively wrong.

Also, if you don't think Tampa on top of the East is at least a little surprising you're either psychic or just overlooked it.

Cap'n Flavour is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 10:37 PM
  #5
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
Lotīs of rookies, some really good, but no major sensation I would say.
Umm...Kiprusoff basically carried Calgary on his back into the playoffs. (Just my opinion, Flames fans who may disagree please don't flame). I don't think he qualifies as a rookie, but this was his first major NHL experience.

And what about Raycroft? Strong candidate for not only ROY, but Vezina.

Afino is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 10:56 PM
  #6
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
A waste of time :lol . If that were true I sure waisted a lot of time watching nothing. This season was actually very exciting. Look at how tight the east and west are this year. In the east their could be 6 teams with 100 points. Enough said.

richardn is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:03 PM
  #7
Carbonneau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
All 3 of your reasons are horrible

#1. Who wants a team to dominate anyways??

#2. Go back to the 80's if you want the same player to win all the awards. St.Louis is a great player and deserves anything he gets.

#3. Montreal, TB , Calgary ????

Carbonneau is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:06 PM
  #8
jstreim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
Umm...Kiprusoff basically carried Calgary on his back into the playoffs. (Just my opinion, Flames fans who may disagree please don't flame).
I'm not a Flames fan (i'm not flaming you either), but I have to disagree. First off, they have Darryl Sutter, who should at least be the runner-up for the Jack Adams. I believe he has only missed the playoffs in one year as a coach. Let's not forget about Iginla and his 40 goals. I agree that Kiprusoff was the main component of this winning team, but he didn't do it alone. In addition, he's only played 37 games.


Just my .02


As for the season being a waste of time... well... I'll make an educated guess for the real reason he thought the season was a waste of time.

Evidence #4: Zigmund Palffy missed almost the entire season, giving him no reason to watch. (considering his handle is "ziggy" )

Just another $0.02 of mine.

Richardn said it best.
Quote:
A waste of time . If that were true I sure waisted a lot of time watching nothing. This season was actually very exciting. Look at how tight the east and west are this year. In the east their could be 6 teams with 100 points. Enough said.


Last edited by jstreim: 04-02-2004 at 11:13 PM.
jstreim is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:13 PM
  #9
evman150*
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
What a horrible thread.

I think you are a waste of time.

evman150* is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:13 PM
  #10
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
This season was actually very exciting. Look at how tight the east and west are this year. In the east their could be 6 teams with 100 points. Enough said.
I agree, we've seen TONS of great games this season, and a lot of races will come down to the wire, can't ask for more than that. If you think it's been boring, you haven't seen enough games.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:19 PM
  #11
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Are you kidding me!? Every NHL season to me is exciting, and this one has been GREAT. Can't wait for playoffs, even though my team is out. Hopefully a lot of long overtimes, and a lot of Game 7's. Here's to a Great Playoffs!

two out of three* is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:55 PM
  #12
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreim
I'm not a Flames fan (i'm not flaming you either), but I have to disagree. First off, they have Darryl Sutter, who should at least be the runner-up for the Jack Adams. I believe he has only missed the playoffs in one year as a coach. Let's not forget about Iginla and his 40 goals. I agree that Kiprusoff was the main component of this winning team, but he didn't do it alone. In addition, he's only played 37 games.


Just my .02


As for the season being a waste of time... well... I'll make an educated guess for the real reason he thought the season was a waste of time.

Evidence #4: Zigmund Palffy missed almost the entire season, giving him no reason to watch. (considering his handle is "ziggy" )

Just another $0.02 of mine.

Richardn said it best.
I am a big fan of Iginla, I didn't mean if I came off as disrespecting/overlooking him. Not to mention Sutter should be a Adams finalist for sure And with another part of this thread....you think the reason of more teams with 100 points is the OTL??? The Sabres have only 2 or 3 less wins than Philly, and will miss the playoffs.

Afino is offline  
Old
04-02-2004, 11:59 PM
  #13
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
Just wondering what you people think about this regular season. I live in Sweden and donīt get to see that many games, but I try to follow NHL-hockey as good as I can.

So, was this season a letdown?
I think it was.

Evidence #1: No team dominated completely. Of corse the usual suspects is at the top of the standings, but I wouldnīt feel comfertable on betting on a Stanley Cup for, say, the Colorado Avalanche or even Detroit. Heading into this season Ottawa and Colorado was among the favorits to dominate, but they havenīt.

Evidence #2: Who will win the trophys? Who would you have for Hart? Martin St. Louis? Cīmon. Thereīs not a starplayer that has dominated this season, no 100-point scorer, not a single 50-goal scorer. As of now the Rocket Award will go in three pieces to Iginla, Rick Nash and Kovalchuk, who all have scored 40 goals, with a game or two to go. Same with Vezina, I donīt see one goaltender that has been that outstanding. Lotīs of rookies, some really good, but no major sensation I would say.

Evidence #3:Lack of surprises. San Jose has had a great year, they were supposed to be quite bad this year, but came along nicely. Other than that there has been no big sensation in the standings. Calgary might be a Cinderellateam come the play offs, but theyīre 3rd in their division.

All in all a pretty boring season. And then of course there may be no hockey next year.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
I think the fact that no team dominated, and that no one player is head and shoulders above the rest is a GOOD THING. You say it was boring? I think ANY hockey is good hockey. And other than a few things here and there, this was another great hockey season.

But I am probably biased because I dont believe in BAD hockey. Its all good hockey to me.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
04-03-2004, 12:01 AM
  #14
ziggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Iīve been nicknamed Ziggy since 1985, has nothing to do with Ziggy Palffy.

Entering this season some people thought that Colorado could threaten the old Oilers in terms of goals scored. As a Swede and fan of Quebec/Colorado since 1989 I was hoping for a banner season from Peter Forsberg. At one point he was on pace for 100 assists. That would have been something in my eyes.

The last couple of years Iīve been keeping an eye on the Atlanta Thrashers. I was hoping for a good season from them, with a strong attack, lead by Dany Heatley. Now this didnīt happen and I know you all felt bad when tragedy struck in Atlanta and took Dan Snyderīs life. That set a dark tone on the season for me, and has cast a shadow over all of it.

Obviously Iīm not like you guys - I like strong teams and Iīm fond of my superstars, I like to see the underdogs take on the big clubs, I canīt see whatīs so great about six teams getting 100+ points in the east.

Thanks.

ziggy is offline  
Old
04-03-2004, 12:02 AM
  #15
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
Iīve been nicknamed Ziggy since 1985, has nothing to do with Ziggy Palffy.

Entering this season some people thought that Colorado could threaten the old Oilers in terms of goals scored. As a Swede and fan of Quebec/Colorado since 1989 I was hoping for a banner season from Peter Forsberg. At one point he was on pace for 100 assists. That would have been something in my eyes.

The last couple of years Iīve been keeping an eye on the Atlanta Thrashers. I was hoping for a good season from them, with a strong attack, lead by Dany Heatley. Now this didnīt happen and I know you all felt bad when tragedy struck in Atlanta and took Dan Snyderīs life. That set a dark tone on the season for me, and has cast a shadow over all of it.

Obviously Iīm not like you guys - I like strong teams and Iīm fond of my superstars, I like to see the underdogs take on the big clubs, I canīt see whatīs so great about six teams getting 100+ points in the east.

Thanks.
I don't think anyone thought that. No team has cracked 300 goals since 1996, and i was hoping they could do that. But challenging 446? no way in hell.

Luigi Lemieux is offline  
Old
04-03-2004, 12:05 AM
  #16
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
Iīve been nicknamed Ziggy since 1985, has nothing to do with Ziggy Palffy.

Entering this season some people thought that Colorado could threaten the old Oilers in terms of goals scored. As a Swede and fan of Quebec/Colorado since 1989 I was hoping for a banner season from Peter Forsberg. At one point he was on pace for 100 assists. That would have been something in my eyes.

The last couple of years Iīve been keeping an eye on the Atlanta Thrashers. I was hoping for a good season from them, with a strong attack, lead by Dany Heatley. Now this didnīt happen and I know you all felt bad when tragedy struck in Atlanta and took Dan Snyderīs life. That set a dark tone on the season for me, and has cast a shadow over all of it.

Obviously Iīm not like you guys - I like strong teams and Iīm fond of my superstars, I like to see the underdogs take on the big clubs, I canīt see whatīs so great about six teams getting 100+ points in the east.

Thanks.
So you were hoping that Colorado would score 450 goals and that the Thrashers made the playoffs?

Well then obviously YOU were disappointed. But it seems most of us found the NHL season exciting...as usual.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
04-03-2004, 12:05 AM
  #17
jstreim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
And with another part of this thread....you think the reason of more teams with 100 points is the OTL??? The Sabres have only 2 or 3 less wins than Philly, and will miss the playoffs.
I do agree with with you about the OTL. The league isn't rewarding wins enough. I believe the best solutions would either to be:
1) Eliminate OTL's. After all, the Lightning aren't a losing team anymore since Dudley was a motivating factor in instating the rule.

2)Reward 3 Pts for win, and 1 for tie and OTL.

I like situation 1 better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
Iīve been nicknamed Ziggy since 1985, has nothing to do with Ziggy Palffy.
Fair enough, just an opinion.

jstreim is offline  
Old
04-03-2004, 02:29 PM
  #18
Swedish Bolt Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win it again
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
Iīve been nicknamed Ziggy since 1985, has nothing to do with Ziggy Palffy.

Entering this season some people thought that Colorado could threaten the old Oilers in terms of goals scored. As a Swede and fan of Quebec/Colorado since 1989 I was hoping for a banner season from Peter Forsberg. At one point he was on pace for 100 assists. That would have been something in my eyes.

The last couple of years Iīve been keeping an eye on the Atlanta Thrashers. I was hoping for a good season from them, with a strong attack, lead by Dany Heatley. Now this didnīt happen and I know you all felt bad when tragedy struck in Atlanta and took Dan Snyderīs life. That set a dark tone on the season for me, and has cast a shadow over all of it.

Obviously Iīm not like you guys - I like strong teams and Iīm fond of my superstars, I like to see the underdogs take on the big clubs, I canīt see whatīs so great about six teams getting 100+ points in the east.

Thanks.

6+ teams with 100+ pts is AWESOME and will make for a very very exciting playoff. This is probably one of the better years in the NHL in quite a few years. For the 1st time in a rather longtime you can rightfully name 10+ teams that can win the cup in this playoff. Trust me that is MUCH MUCH more fun than having some Avs or deadwings team finishing the regular season with 134 pts where 2nd best team in the league got 98.

And regarding superstar you obviously havnt watched Marty St Louis this year. That man have done everything this year except dressing up as a goalie.

In one game like a month or so ago he even took a shift on the blueline since they for a short moment where down a couple dmen and needed a "rested" body for the line change.

if i remember correctly Sarich had gotten a matching major for fighting and Lukowich had just gotten some help in regards to his frankenstein face so he was out getting stitches in his face for the 100th time this season.

Swedish Bolt Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.