HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your hockey credentials / experience, etc.?

Old
12-10-2007, 06:45 AM
gocbj

vCash: 500
Your hockey credentials / experience, etc.?

Let me start with myself: With regard to playing hockey, I don’t know anything about anything, but I like to voice my opinion here. I acknowledge that this board is mostly for fun, and I mean no offense to anyone.

But, I’d like to see a way to sort out the experts from people like me. When I am reading a post about Foote and Klesla, and their ability, I’d really like to know who knows a lot about hockey. Who has played and for how long? To me, your experience playing goes a long way towards your ability to analyze things.

Perhaps we can have a “sticky” with our “credentials / resume” for lack of better terms. Yes, spend a few months reading posts, and you are able to sort out the people who know a lot from the people like me, but I’d like a more efficient way to see who the smartest people on the board are.

How about posting your playing experience / hockey experience overall (coach, player, etc.) ?

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

I'm about where Matt Foley is. I've been following the NHL since the 71/72 season. I played tons of Hockey as a kid in Suburban Philadelphia. My position was a puck moving Defenseman. My idol was Bobby Orr. Organized hockey was difficult since there was only 1 sheet of ice in the county of 800k people. My teams ice time was usually between 3-4 in the mornings. We played on frozen ponds when the weather cooperated. Also we played on the tennis court at the Junior High and TONS of Street Hockey.

Hockey has been my #1 sport for 35 years and I've seen several eras and changes.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Renion

I'm not a coach, nor am I a GM, but....

Whoops, thought I was talking to Doug

While I for one take comments by "experts" with many grains of salt, I can see where you're coming from. So, I'm a pure fan. Been watching hockey since...the very early 90s. I have eyes and a brain. That's it.

Well, and a few legs.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Bluebengal

I played goalie and defence for 14 years. Mostly goalie. I played for a travel team all through high school and had a few colleges show interest in me playing for them but not enough interest to give me a scholarship and I couldn't afford to go without one so I never got to play in college and ended up playing in a bunch of different adult leagues. Started playing when I was 12 and had to quit when I was 27 cause my bad knee couldn't take it anymore and I can't afford to get hurt. As for being a fan I've been one since I was a little kid used to be a big Whalers fan till they moved then became a Devils fan until the Jackets came. But in no way does any of this make me anywhere near an expert. I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.

Bluebengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Nordique

I'm just a fan.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Wease

I used to play Junior B in upstate NY, so I've played a bit of hockey...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:54 AM
blahblah

Just a fan, I don't think my resume in other sports would add up to much around here, the hockey world.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:23 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Grew up watching and going to games at the old Fairgrounds Colesium (Checkers, Owls).

Grew up playing pond/backyard hockey with no pads or helmets through my teenage years. Ice and trees hurt. Have also played a fair amount of street and floor hockey in my teens through 30's --which don't hurt as much and don't make anyone an expert, but are incredibly fun.

My theory: It's not hard to "know" hockey. But it is hard to both be able to skate well and play it well (neither of which I was particularly good at). I wish they had the teams and teaching that they have now back when I was a kid in Cbus.

About twice a game I find myself staring in amazement at the sheer skating exhibition I'm seeing, and mutter remindingly to myself "...and they're on ice." That's one of the things that sets hockey apart from all other sports. Anybody can run on a field.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 12-10-2007 at 09:28 AM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:45 AM
CapnCornelius

Played hockey on and off for 10 years. Primarily played defense (never had much of a slap shot, so I was more a stay-at-home defenseman), but I've played forward in a pinch. Officiated college hockey for 4 years.

Member of the Society for International Hockey Research. No joke. http://www.sihrhockey.org/main.cfm?C...TOKEN=54424016

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too

Message too short? What?

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
anteater90

Grew up in Los Angeles as a Kings fan dating to the 76/77 years. Yes I survived purple and gold uniforms and Barry Melrose as a coach. I have loved the game always. This year Santa is bringing me my Hockey wish. I start Hockey Camp at the Chiller in January and plan to play in my first "D" league by next winter. Wish me luck.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Dad was a CIS official.
Brothers were both WHL draft picks, one didn't play due to a career ending injury, the other due to NCAA regulations for lacrosse. One brother is now a high level official.
Played hockey for about 5 years, women's Tier 1. Started in rec league, worked hard and moved up. Know the game inside and out, skills just needed to match the knowledge.
Coach Atom boys.

12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
hockeycoach

Hmmm lets see...

I was 16 in 69 (do the math) and I grew up playing "organized" and non-organized hockey on those outdoor rinks (brrrr) with changing shacks with wood stoves in them.

I've played hockey since I was knee-high-to-a-fart, which would be somewhere around 4years old.

I still play hockey, but now I'm with the old-farts... (notice a trend here?)

I have three son's 29-26-23, we all watch hockey, sometimes two to four games simoultaneously... drives the wife nuts.

I coach hockey since the early 90's. My kids are all done playing hockey years ago, but I still got the bug and still coach (Midget A)

So to recap:
I watch hockey.
I play hockey.
I coach hockey.

I AM CANADIAN eh

hockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Grew up in a suburb of Michigan.... St. Clair Shores (the real Hockeytown, true story). I grew up in a Hockey family, my dad's oldest brother (there were 5 boys) was drafted by the St. Louis Blues the same year he was drafted for Vietnam (one trumped the other.. he wasnt a college student).

Learned to skate backwards before I stepped foot on a real ice surface (pond hockey). Played travel hockey in the Little Caesar's League (St. Clair Shores Saints) growing up.

Moved to Toledo when I was 12 and continued to play travel hockey there (Sylvania Maple Leafs). Played high school hockey in Sylvania and stopped playing organized when I went to college.

Referree'd mites/squirts when I was in HS. Play once a week (Mondays) at the Chillers present day. Only 25 years old, but I would like to get into coaching locally at some point.

edit: I was a defensemen for most of my life, also played some wing, switch between the two nowadays.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Handyy

I've skated as long as I remember, but I stopped playing hockey when it got too serious at age 17. Now I just play where ever I can, just for fun. Probably trying to get more involved in the future. I don't know how many hockey games I have attended, but only recently I have started to look more closely what happends and why instead of just watching a fun hockey game. So basicly, even with always being involved with hockey I don't have much to show.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
hockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I'm not a coach, nor am I a GM, but....

Whoops, thought I was talking to Doug

While I for one take comments by "experts" with many grains of salt, I can see where you're coming from. So, I'm a pure fan. Been watching hockey since...the very early 90s. I have eyes and a brain. That's it.

Well, and a few legs.

"a few legs" ???

must fight the urge...
must not secumb ...
sorry can't resist...

SO is that more than 2 but less than 4?
Or maybe more than 4 but less than a millipede?

How long does it take you to do up all those laces?
Your skate sharpening bill must be horrific.

Whew .... I feel better now.
thanks for making my day

hockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:17 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I had never really watched hockey before 05-06. I thought I'd like it & wanted to start watching in what would have been the 2004-05 season. We all know that that season didn't happen. I watched a few games early in 05-06 & after the Olympics, really started to get into it. What cemented it for me was actually going to a Jackets game. My first game was against San Jose, a 4-1 win for the CBJ. I loved the experience & was hooked.

I've been a CBJ loyalist since. I'm still learning bits & pieces about the game, but have a pretty good understanding of it now. I've now come up with a goal of seeing all the teams in the league. I think I'm up to 12 with the Minnesota game Saturday.

No on-ice experience for me. Just a fan.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
orthosrgn2

As Chi Chi Rodriguez said "The older I get, the better I was." Based on that statement, by next year I will have won the Stanley Cup with a hat trick in game 7 at the Forum!

Actually, I am Canadian and have loved hockey since the Original Six. Hockey was hard to watch in Columbus, where I grew up from age 8 as there was only one game a week and other than the OSU ice rink and the Fairgrounds Coliseum there was only pond hockey. I started playing at OSU in college, watching the Buckeyes... Jerry Welsh, McKenzie, Hugh Prentiss, etc and we would play pick up games at 2 in the morning at OSU. I watched the Owls, Seals and Chill, but it never enthused me until we got the NHL franchise. My son liked the game and I became a coach for his team for 6 years then rooted him trun high school where he was a goalie at Dublin Coffman. I returned to the ice and played in B and C leagues with many younger than me. I left Columbus in 2004 and now reside in Southern California where ice time is my CI package. I am returning to Columbus over Xmas and am shipping my hockey gear as I hope to play some Drop in Hockey while I am there. My best weapon is my slap shot.

Beyond this I am a fan and understand the basics and some nuances.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycoach View Post
"a few legs" ???

must fight the urge...
must not secumb ...
sorry can't resist...

SO is that more than 2 but less than 4?
Or maybe more than 4 but less than a millipede?

How long does it take you to do up all those laces?
Your skate sharpening bill must be horrific.

Whew .... I feel better now.
thanks for making my day
I have never used the word "few" with as great a meaning, I assure you...and your avatar.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Sk8hockey

36yr old player/coach of my men's league squad...kinda like Reg Dunlop, haha.
By no means an expert but I'd like to think I have a 'behind the bench/on ice' idea of what's happening out there.
I come in here to get the inside scoop/game day info on the Jackets more than to flex my hockey mind.

Sk8hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Skraut

I've always been "Different" (I live in a geodesic Dome, drove a Prius before it was cool etc.) and that extends to sports. So as a kid I always followed MISL, Rugby, Cricket, Water Polo, and of course Hockey.

One of my earliest sporting memories is watching the Miracle on Ice on TV. To catch NHL action I used to push my father's car to the end of the driveway and sit it it for hours listening to 760 WJR Detroit, so I could listen to Steve Eyezerman score goals (it was only years later that I got a hockey card and saw how it was really spelled, but I had drawn posters all over my bedroom of #19 Steve Eyezerman and what he looked like scoring goals in my immagination)

My nearest rink was 55 miles away, so I never had a chance to play when I was younger. I always wanted to play defense but never had the opportunity. I didn't finish college because I was too busy going to Dayton Bombers and Dayton Flyers hockey games and beating everybody in my dorm at NHL 94. Years later my uncle was chief of operations for the Cleveland Colleseum so I got a lot of free tickets to the Cleveland Lumberjacks. When they moved to the Gund, I actually got a job working in their game ops as a cameraman.

I did a lot of freelance camera, worked a Pens game, and a couple Wings game at the Joe. I tried to learn to rollerblade so that I could eventually perhaps learn to skate. Got on roller blades twice, blew out my knee, twice.

I was honorrary captain of the Lake Erie Monsters, and search though untold hours of footage to build videos.

This is all a longwinded way of saying, I don't know squat.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:18 AM
cbj1

Interesting thread.

I was born in Pittsburgh '67 (the same year as the Pens). My high school, Mt. Lebanon, was fortunate enough to have a rink. The Penguins used to have training camp and some practices there. That is what peaked my interest in hockey. Skipping class to watch practice!!

When growing up there were only a couple of rinks in all of Pittsburgh. Ice time was at a premium and the few rinks around were open 24/7. I laugh at that because today, within the same high school rink, there are at least 10 other shets of ice within a 15 min drive. Not to mention all the other rinks in the city. Wow things have changed (thanks #66). There are even 5 players I can think of off the top of my head that are in the NHL from Pgh. (Malone(Pit), Umberger(Phi), Zeiler(LA), Weber(Buf), Thomas(Phx).

I bring that up, because I think it will be interesting to see how the Blue Jackets presence influences hockey in the Columbus area over the next 20 years. I know Cbus had minor league hockey, so did Pitt. But, things really didn't take off until the NHL arrived.

Why is that info relavent to this thread? Well if getting started playing was as easy in my "era" as it is today, I'm sure I would have played. As it is, I played lot's of street hockey, but never on ice. I have been watching the game now for 30 years. Finally, in 2004, at 37 years of age, I learned to skate! (and on the very high school rink that I used to watch the Pens on as a kid!) I am not very good, nor do I strive to be. I was always embarrased, though, that I loved hockey, but couldn't skate. What a new appreciation it brought to enjoying the game!

cbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
BZArcher

Followed it on and off as a kid, but my parents put me into football. Played a little bit of roller hockey in high school, drifted a bit, got back into it in College because of rooming with a guy from Toronto. :>

Getting my own place with Center Ice and moving back to Columbus after college has only fed the addiction, and for some reason my roommates keep being hockey fans...I came back into town just in time for Nash's Richard trophy season and I've been a Jacket fan ever since.

I'm trying to get myself back into shape (other than round), so I've been working on skating again and hope to be comfortable enough to do some rec leauge games soon.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Aging Goalie

Goalie for about seven seasons 5 ice last 2 roller. Never anything above the occasional travel tourney. Was invited to try out for semi pro last summer at age 32. Didn't have the time to devote to "livin the dream" right now so did not try out. Have been a fan since high school and currently coach (usually end up with 10-under age team), officiate (all age groups), and teach skills development for 4-6 yr olds for YMCA Roller hockey program.

Oh yeah.....Jackets fan from day one that they started. Hawks before that.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
gr88bd

Started watching hockey in 1965 when NBC had weekly NHL Saturday afternoon broadcasts.. Hockey was not big in southeastern Ohio, till Huntington Wva came around with 2 minor league teams ,,, Ive watched several Huntington Blizzard/ Columbus Chill matches... COntinued following hockey off and on ever since ... Seen most of the Jackets games either in person or on TV ... so am I an armchair GM, HC, or regular afficianado???? hahahah

gr88bd is offline   Reply With Quote