HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has anyone else been impressed with Colton Orr?

Old
12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i like the idea of having a fighter but id rather have someone with skill that can fight as well. Guys like Byers, Dupont, Bourret come to mind.
Bourret fights?

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Bourret fights?
not that i know of.

hes a hitter with skill.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I love him. I'm not talking about his play, he's doing a better job of keeping up, and keeping up is all we can expect of him, but he's a great teammate. he'll take a stand for his teammates (see: Fedoruk, Ovechkin, Exelby), but he won't put his team down chasing his own selfish agendas like we've seen from guys like Brashear, Simon, and Cairns.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I love him. I'm not talking about his play, he's doing a better job of keeping up, and keeping up is all we can expect of him, but he's a great teammate. he'll take a stand for his teammates (see: Fedoruk, Ovechkin, Exelby), but he won't put his team down chasing his own selfish agendas like we've seen from guys like Brashear, Simon, and Cairns.
He is indeed a great teamate, as are Hollweg and Betts and plenty of other Rangers. And I do give him credit for being smart (if not constantly victorious) in his fighting..But he is still a worthless skater that will hopefully see little ice late in the season and in the POs..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
i like the idea of having a fighter but id rather have someone with skill that can fight as well. Guys like Byers, Dupont, Bourret come to mind.
You throw out names just because they are young...Have you been watching the great defensive play of Bourett and the consistent play of Byers (just started getting something done) in Hartford this season? ..Plenty of other forwards that should be recalled before these three (I like them, but none are ready)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Again this statement proves people read stats but don't have a clue what a player can do. Byers is worse then Hollweg as a fighter and the other 2 don't fight and have wa to much skill to be 4th liners. Guys just admit you don't like Orr for someother reason then their are better guys to fill his shoes

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:04 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Some posters on this board may not like "enforcers"at all. Would rather have a more skilled player on the 4th line. I'm not one of them.

Some poster goes by age as who he would want on the 4th line. Sad but true.

Some posters don't like fighting at all. I love a good scrap and still see it as a necessary part of the game. The only thing today that gets me out of my chair and standing in front of the TV is a nice tilt between enforcers and the shootout.

Some posters believe that they know more than the NHL GMs and coaches where 99% still dress a "tough guy" on most occasions. (even the Red Wings are dressing Aaron Downey).

My kind of hockey is tough, mean, and yes "old school" ( do like the reg. season shootout though ) and I'll never apologize for that.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
not that i know of.

hes a hitter with skill.
http://hockeyfights.com/players/1250

had some scraps in juniors and a few in the minors.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:12 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Again this statement proves people read stats but don't have a clue what a player can do. Byers is worse then Hollweg as a fighter and the other 2 don't fight and have wa to much skill to be 4th liners. Guys just admit you don't like Orr for someother reason then their are better guys to fill his shoes
Dupont has fought a few times in juniors and 2 times already in hartford. http://hockeyfights.com/players/1663

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:19 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
You throw out names just because they are young...Have you been watching the great defensive play of Bourett and the consistent play of Byers (just started getting something done) in Hartford this season? ..Plenty of other forwards that should be recalled before these three (I like them, but none are ready)
You know Larry... As much as I disagree with you about Orr I must admit yesterday in the third period against the Debs, I did get a bit nervous when I saw the puck get dumped behind the Ranger net and Jason Strudwick rushing back to pick up the puck with Colton Orr providing weak side support. Struds was trying to pass it up the boards to Ryan Hollweg. Yikes! I looked at the white jerseys and saw Parise and Gionta and got a real uneasy feeling.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:44 AM
eco's bones

Dupont looks like he'll be an occasional fighter--like Dubinsky. Not afraid of it anyway. Dupont is having a pretty good rookie season in Hartford though he seems to be a little streaky. He's not ready. Byers scoring is way down from last year. These two may not be getting as much quality ice time as before though.

Orr is not a very good skater. The line he's on is a non-threat offensively. The defense of the line is adequate--though that has more to do with the smart play of Betts than with the other two. Orr at least is not a penalty taking machine. He also uses his head when it comes to getting into scraps--or not. On a couple occasions this year he's lifted the team with them. Even so--training camp to training camp he's always going to be a guy who can lose his job.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:30 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
While that stat is beginning to look more and more useless?
That stat does point out that Staal is our best defenseman and that is certainly accurate, wouldn't you agree?

It also points out Hossa as being far better than most here give him credit for. Most fans prefer players that score 10 and give up 15 to those that score 5 and give up 1. Most fans prefer visual stimulation and flash to results. That is why most prefer Prucha to Hossa despite Prucha's absolutely dismal production.

Last edited by chosen: 12-10-2007 at 09:55 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Dupont has fought a few times in juniors and 2 times already in hartford. http://hockeyfights.com/players/1663
2 WOW call the AHL goon squad. Having 2 fights is not being a Policemen and team Enforcer. Dubi has 2 fights and look how that went.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Orr is not a very good skater. The line he's on is a non-threat offensively. The defense of the line is adequate--though that has more to do with the smart play of Betts than with the other two. Orr at least is not a penalty taking machine. He also uses his head when it comes to getting into scraps--or not. On a couple occasions this year he's lifted the team with them. Even so--training camp to training camp he's always going to be a guy who can lose his job.
I think the defense of the line is based on the intelligent play of all three players. In fact, if Orr was a better skater and had better skills, you would have a very good defensive line. I've seen on numerous occasions Orr dropping back to the point when a defenseman steps up in the play. I'm not saying I get a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing he's back there but he is making the right play covering up. I'd like to say all of the Ranger forwards have the same discipline but that wouldn't be true.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I think the defense of the line is based on the intelligent play of all three players. In fact, if Orr was a better skater and had better skills, you would have a very good defensive line. I've seen on numerous occasions Orr dropping back to the point when a defenseman steps up in the play. I'm not saying I get a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing he's back there but he is making the right play covering up. I'd like to say all of the Ranger forwards have the same discipline but that wouldn't be true.
I agree that Orr has been well schooled by Renney, Pearn and Pelino. He no doubt has been listening and learning. No doubt in my mind though that Betts is by far the key player of the trio. In a sense you have to admire Orr for the strides he's made over the last couple years to become as good as he has. A lot of other teams just look upon their enforcer/goon as a guy you put on the ice 2 minutes a game or so when the going gets tough. His skating needs work--will always need work. It's a thing we've been through before--most recently with Purinton--worse with Purinton because he was playing D. There's no way of really getting around it. It makes him a replaceable player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree that Orr has been well schooled by Renney, Pearn and Pelino. He no doubt has been listening and learning. No doubt in my mind though that Betts is by far the key player of the trio. In a sense you have to admire Orr for the strides he's made over the last couple years to become as good as he has. A lot of other teams just look upon their enforcer/goon as a guy you put on the ice 2 minutes a game or so when the going gets tough. His skating needs work--will always need work. It's a thing we've been through before--most recently with Purinton--worse with Purinton because he was playing D. There's no way of really getting around it. It makes him a replaceable player.
I agree the coaching has had a positive outcome on Orr. But he also has to want to get better and learn...something Purinton showed he wasn't willing to do. I think Orr knows that for him to stay in this league, he had to improve his defensive work, which he has done.

And as far as being a replaceable player, he is, but there isn't anyone available in the Rangers systems right now who could replace him.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Orr has impressed me in the sense that I originally thought he was a crappy fighter that was an absolute liability every time out on the ice. That has proven to be untrue, in that he's a decent fighter and can occasionally throw decent hits, forecheck/backcheck and play passable defense. There's nothing impressive about him overall though.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
That stat does point out that Staal is our best defenseman and that is certainly accurate, wouldn't you agree?

It also points out Hossa as being far better than most here give him credit for. Most fans prefer players that score 10 and give up 15 to those that score 5 and give up 1. Most fans prefer visual stimulation and flash to results. That is why most prefer Prucha to Hossa despite Prucha's absolutely dismal production.
No. While I can see your logic, and I absolutely love Staal and Hossa's defensive skills, Staal is not our best defenseman. You can't account in "best to worst" by +/-. Tyutin and Girardi and even Rozsival have an abundance more hits and blocked shots and more points.

Though Tyutin and Girardi have slipped up as of late, and Rozsival hasn't been "very good" at all on the defensive side of things yet this season, they still are better than Staal. I'd say if Girardi keeps slipping up though, and Rozsival doesn't keep racking the points and playing decent D. Staal will become top though.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
chosen

I truly believe that right now Staal is our best defenseman, bar none. I was unimpressed with him in the pre-season but he has won me over in spades. He is an absolute fixture on the top pair for the next ten years.

He rarely gets beat and can usually cover up for his mistakes. He is a very good skater and you can see that there is some offense in there that will eventually surface. I think he has the potential to be a Langway or Robinson type. Not certain he'll get there but he might.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote