HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we sign Andre Benoit?

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Should we sign Andre Benoit?

He's doing well in the OHL. One of the best offensive D in hte CHL and he was never draft. Maybe Gainey could sign him.

Profile: http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/Team.asp?Player=12

Old
04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Hum, lets wait and see what happens to Hainsey first next season!

Old
04-01-2004, 10:39 PM
oli500

Yes we should signed him. I graduated high school with him 2 years ago and now him pretty well. He's got a very similiar style as Andre Markov. Hes got an awsome slap shot and can skate very well. Hes Maybe one of the better defencemen in the ohl and I dont see why we shouldent give him a try at camp if hes not drafted. Im not saying this because I now him but because his numbers dont lie, Hes led all ohl defencemen in points the last two season.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:24 AM
eddy

Yes, I really think we should if he's available.

Old
04-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Darz

If we sign him to a contract, we have to get rid of a player under contract, so.....

Old
04-02-2004, 10:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
If we sign him to a contract, we have to get rid of a player under contract, so.....

How so? We aren't near the 50 contracts yet, this summer we should be around 40 ish, so there will be room to sign a few guys. As for Benoit, he seems to have a lot of offensive abilities, but seems to lack upper body strength. I wouldn't mind seeing him invited to camp to see what he can do.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
How so? We aren't near the 50 contracts yet, this summer we should be around 40 ish, so there will be room to sign a few guys. As for Benoit, he seems to have a lot of offensive abilities, but seems to lack upper body strength. I wouldn't mind seeing him invited to camp to see what he can do.
My bad. I figured we were at our limit.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
If that's the contract status, then an invite to camp makes more than enought sense to me. You never know who'll surprise so I'm a big fan of 'unexpecteds' at the training camps.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
If that's the contract status, then an invite to camp makes more than enought sense to me. You never know who'll surprise so I'm a big fan of 'unexpecteds' at the training camps.
JF Cote has fit in nicely with the Dogs and he was an amateur tryout at last fall's rookie and training camps. There are some diamonds in rough out there, as some players just develop slower than others.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:40 PM
leafaholix*

He was invited to Toronto's rookie camp and couldn't manage to get a contract.

I don't think he's got much of a future in the NHL.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He was invited to Toronto's rookie camp and couldn't manage to get a contract.

I don't think he's got much of a future in the NHL.
That's because he was too young for the Leafs. Their rookies have to be at least 30 to fit in.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:53 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8
That's because he was too young for the Leafs. Their rookies have to be at least 30 to fit in.
can't stop laughing :lol

Old
04-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
He's doing well in the OHL. One of the best offensive D in hte CHL and he was never draft. Maybe Gainey could sign him.

Profile: http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/Team.asp?Player=12
If we have the room, then yes. Provided his asking price is not unreasonable. If you look at some recent try-outs or signings along the same lines by the Habs (Derrick Walser, Andy Delmore, Francis Bouillon who have sort of panned out, several others who haven't)... well, why not? Worst case, he's probably a pretty good AHL defenseman after some grooming and work on his strength.

The way I see it, throwing some money into prospect development this way (and some money towards a Junior Lessard type), can even help offset the loss of a Balej too. These guys won't be asking for the kind of money that we're already wasting on guys like Dykhuis and Traverse, buyouts like Audette, McKay, etc.

Basically, it's like an extra 6th round draft pick, just purchased for a little bit of extra cash. I can see us having room in the organisation for a player like Benoit.

Old
04-02-2004, 06:55 PM
habitue*

The Habs should try to get RW Junior Lessard from U Minn-Duluth. A big guy with a special scoring touch.

Old
04-03-2004, 07:29 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I ran across this guy not too long ago, and noticed on hockeydb that he didn't seem drafted. I assumed he was due to his points and age. The guy has improved every year in the ohl. If he lacks upper body strength that can be fixed. My only problem is that he shoots left. Might be a good Bouillon replacement for a couple of years down the road. We are pretty deep on D-men, but you never know. It's not like Hamilton couldn't use an influx of young offensive-talented d. If we end up bringing Komi and Hainsey up next year, that leaves mostly defensive lugs like Traverse, Archer and Cote down there. He might be good enough to compete for Phillipe Plante's spot atleast. The more competition the better!

Old
04-03-2004, 12:25 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
The Habs should try to get RW Junior Lessard from U Minn-Duluth. A big guy with a special scoring touch.
6'0 195lbs is big?

Old
04-03-2004, 04:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué

I've seen Lessard a few times this year, and I wouldn't say he's big. He's listed at 195, but looks a little smaller then that. He doesn't play a physical game but has good hands and can setup plays as well. He had a real strong game last week against UMinn, even outmuscled Vanek along the boards on one play. I'll get to watch him again next week as he plays in the frozen four. I think it would be a very good idea to sign him, as he was named the top player in the WCHA the top conference in the NCAA and I think he will win the Hobey Baker as he was the top scorer in the NCAA.

Closed Thread