HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New NHL Trophy

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Reiki

vCash: 500
New NHL Trophy

If you can have a new NHL award, what would it be and who would you name it after?

My choice would be the Bobby Orr Trophy. Awarded to a dman with the most points in a season.

One of the best if not the best dman ever play the game. He evolutionized the position of dman so at least he deserve to get a trophy name after him.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Heater15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiki
If you can have a new NHL award, what would it be and who would you name it after?

My choice would be the Bobby Orr Trophy. Awarded to a dman with the most points in a season.

One of the best if not the best dman ever play the game. He evolutionized the position of dman so at least he deserve to get a trophy name after him.
I completely agree with you...there's a Rockat Richard trophy for most goals, so why not an award after someone who changed the way d-men play?

Old
04-02-2004, 03:58 AM
PecaFan

Yup. We recognise defensive forwards and offensive forwards separately, but somehow try and force all defencemen into one pigeonhole. This has led to the almost complete non-recognition of the defensive defenseman.

If Boston wasn't so damn cheap, they'd get off their ***, buy a trophy, and donate it to the league in his honour.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:23 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Personally, I'd pare back the the multitudinous awarding of hardware. The Selke Trophy in particular was when the NHL jumped the shark. The Rocket Richard Trophy is superfluous, but I guess some people like that sort of thing coming as it did on the heels of his passing. Which is why a Bobby Orr Trophy suggestion is preposterous being that the awards these days are bestowed posthumously.

The major awards are named after the "founders," (as if they didn't build themselves a Monument to Ego in a cartel market back in their heyday).

I say enough of the Name Awards. Sell them off to the highest commercial bidder. That's what it's all about now, isn't it?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Impossibles

I personally don't like the idea because it might change the perception of orr to be just as an offensive d-man, not the great all around D-man that he is.

And aren't trophies usually named after said person dies?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:19 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

It's a tough call. On one hand you have the Art Ross AND the Richard trophies, but only the Norris (not that a d-man can't get the Art Ross, it's just completely unlikely in today's game). You could argue that they either get rid of the Richard, or they add a defense scoring trophy. I don't know. If offensive defensemen are being denied Norris trophies solely based on defensive play, there might be a case for a new trophy. I honestly can't remember seeing a player lead defensemen in scoring without also being considered a Norris candidate ('04 Gonchar/Pronger, '03 MacInnis/Gonchar, '02 Gonchar/Lidstrom... hmmm. Gonchar there every year....).

Old
04-02-2004, 11:21 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
And aren't trophies usually named after said person dies?
Rocket was alive when they named an award for him.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:23 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I honestly can't remember seeing a player lead defensemen in scoring without also being considered a Norris candidate ('04 Gonchar/Pronger, '03 MacInnis/Gonchar, '02 Gonchar/Lidstrom... hmmm. Gonchar there every year....).
Last year's winner:
Nick Lidstrom

Runners Up:
Derian Hatcher
Al MacInnis

No Sergei Gonchar.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:37 PM
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
The Esa Tikkanen Award, to the most annoying player in the league.
:lol :lol :lol

Old
04-02-2004, 03:55 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
It's a tough call. On one hand you have the Art Ross AND the Richard trophies, but only the Norris (not that a d-man can't get the Art Ross, it's just completely unlikely in today's game). You could argue that they either get rid of the Richard, or they add a defense scoring trophy.
You forgot the Selke. It's the Ross, Selke, Richard for forwards, and only the Norris for d-men.

Old
04-02-2004, 04:00 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
If Boston wasn't so damn cheap, they'd get off their ***, buy a trophy, and donate it to the league in his honour.

Do you have to take cheap shots at Boston now?

As far as I know you are Isles/Vancouver fan and don't tell me these two teams are less cheap then B's.

Old
04-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

I think that an Adam Oates most pass award would be cool.. But then.. don't know if the name of Oates fits in between all those great names..

Old
04-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl

As far as I know you are Isles/Vancouver fan and don't tell me these two teams are less cheap then B's.
You're kidding, right? The Canucks have re-signed all of their major players to long-term deals within the past three seasons. They may be thrifty at times (letting Klatt go), but they are nowhere near as cheap as the Bruins.

Old
04-02-2004, 04:45 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

The Dave "tiger" Williams Trophy for most penalty minutes

and the

Hanson Brother trophy for most fighting majors

I dont think enforcers have a chance to win ANY trophys and are therefore worse off then even defenseman.

Just cause they're mean doesn't mean they dont need trophy's too

Old
04-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
Joe Juneau Award for the player who gets more than 100 pts in one season but will later become a role player at best.
Does Sellanne qualify for this one??

Old
04-02-2004, 06:00 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
You're kidding, right? The Canucks have re-signed all of their major players to long-term deals within the past three seasons. They may be thrifty at times (letting Klatt go), but they are nowhere near as cheap as the Bruins.

We are gettin off topic but how many players in Vancdemanded 5 years/9 mil like
Guerin, 8 mil like Allison(with all his injuries), 3.5 like Dafoe(stellar goaltender)

I was very critical of B's management in the past but not anymore... I don't see the benifit of signing anybody to 5 years contract. It gives players false feeling of security and that they are protected and don't have to produce like they did before.

Just look at Bertuzzi's year after he got big contract.

I love Murray, Roslton etc, but I am willing to wait and see how they are going to step up in the playoffs.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:06 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl

You've got to be kidding. As a Bruins fan, surely you have to know your own team's history under Jeremy Jacobs. Ask any fan around the league, hell, ask most Bruins fans, and they'll say they're one of the cheapest teams in the league, if not the cheapest.

There's a huge difference between low revenue, low expenditure teams and teams like Boston, top 5 in revenue, yet consistently one of the lowest payrolls.

One of the greatest players of all time, after being grossly underpaid in Boston had to go to Colorado to win a Cup, because Boston wouldn't pay the going rates to surround him with the talent needed to win.

Just some of many:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/s/thn/screenshots1.html
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/fans...ranchises.html
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/...s/02391389.htm
http://www.candidcritic.com/new_page_8.htm
http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/sho...?story_id=9014

Look at the history of many of the trophies, and you'll see that they were donated by teams and owners. That's exactly what Montreal did in 1999 with the Richard trophy.

And that's exactly what Boston should do for Orr.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:06 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
The Taro Tsujimoto Award. For the fakest player in the NHL.

Old
04-03-2004, 06:52 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Last year's winner:
Nick Lidstrom

Runners Up:
Derian Hatcher
Al MacInnis

No Sergei Gonchar.
Yeah I know, that's what I was realizing as I typed it. Bet that changes this year (atleast a close runner up I mean).

Old
04-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Crossbar

How about a best faceoff man award?

Old
04-03-2004, 08:20 AM
txpd

Quote:
If offensive defensemen are being denied Norris trophies solely based on defensive play, there might be a case for a new trophy. I honestly can't remember seeing a player lead defensemen in scoring without also being considered a Norris candidate ('04 Gonchar/Pronger, '03 MacInnis/Gonchar, '02 Gonchar/Lidstrom... hmmm. Gonchar there every year....).
I think you actually make the point for the trophy. Gonchar has not won a Norris Trophy nor has he been a finalist, but once(I think). BUT, he is clearly the dominant offensive defenseman in the league. That he has not been recognized seems a mistake or a problem with the system.

Why not a Norris trophy for best defenseman overall. The Bobby Orr for offensive defensemen and the Rod Langway for defensive defensemen.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:02 AM
tiredman

Adam Oates trophy - Player with the most assists

Old
04-03-2004, 11:17 AM
musdy

the plus minus award

Old
04-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Crossbar

The least amount of teeth remaining award.

Old
04-03-2004, 06:04 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I think you actually make the point for the trophy. Gonchar has not won a Norris Trophy nor has he been a finalist, but once(I think). BUT, he is clearly the dominant offensive defenseman in the league. That he has not been recognized seems a mistake or a problem with the system.

Why not a Norris trophy for best defenseman overall. The Bobby Orr for offensive defensemen and the Rod Langway for defensive defensemen.
You're right. As I was typing I was really torn between yes and no. I think there is merit for more recognition, I just don't want the nhl to turn into an tv award show or minor hockey where you get trophies for tying your own skates or being the guy who helped compose the best song in a horror/variety show. I agree that Gonchar deserves some recognition and not just "popular opinion". As another point of interest, I'd call it the Larry Robinson trophy for defensive defenseman. Big Bird is the quintessential effective offensive/defensive crease clearer. It seems "wrong" that forwards have almost exclusive eligibility for the Art Ross and the Selke, while the d-men have just the Norris. An award for most defensive forward, but not for offensive defenseman seems a bit unfair.

Closed Thread