HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How good was Al Iafrate?

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
AvengerK

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
yet he's being talked about here as being a superstar dman among the best of his time who some would rather take over Pronger or Blake - both Norris winners, and Pronger having won a Hart... yea I know that scoring isn't everything, but overall Iafrate was way too inconsistent to be considered a top dmen in the same category as Pronger is now...
Iafrate played in an era where he had to compete with Coffey and Bourque in their primes. If Pronger and Blake played under the same circumstances, they would not have any Norris or Hart trophies. That doesn't necessarily make them any worse a defenseman. The presence of the trophy defines one to be the very best of his time, though perhaps not the best of all time. Collorary to that, the absence of a trophy doesn't mean he could not be the best of another era. Pavel Datsyuk would probably be tearing up the NHL if you transported him back in time to play in the early 80s.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:17 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerK
Iafrate played in an era where he had to compete with Coffey and Bourque in their primes. If Pronger and Blake played under the same circumstances, they would not have any Norris or Hart trophies. That doesn't necessarily make them any worse a defenseman. The presence of the trophy defines one to be the very best of his time, though perhaps not the best of all time. Collorary to that, the absence of a trophy doesn't mean he could not be the best of another era. Pavel Datsyuk would probably be tearing up the NHL if you transported him back in time to play in the early 80s.
They would hhave been top 5 d-men as they are right now...

I hope you dont say Iafrate was a top 5 d-men of his era... he never compete for the norris in his era and would never compete if he had play in todays NHL.

Chelios played in Bourque's and Coffey's era and managed to steal some Norris...
IMO Chelios is not really better that Progner if he is. (not comparable, I'm talking about effiency)

BJ21

Old
04-01-2004, 07:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

nashville selected Iafrate in the expansion draft, but never signed him. at that point in his career, it wouldn't have made a big difference, but he would have been better than some of the terrible defensemen we had in those first seasons. Jamie Heward, anyone?

Old
04-01-2004, 07:47 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Yes, that is just it. It must be bias.

Larry Robinson is a good comparison to Aki Berg wouldn't you agree? You cannot disagree with this of course, that would just be biased.
:lol

Old
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
richardn

Iafrate was a solid all arround dman who had a cannon for a shot. I would say Iafrate would make my all time Leafs roster for sure.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack21
Are you kidding???

How many Norris shots Al Iafrate has had in his carreer?
Answer ZERO...

He was good... Very good... Verry Verry good!!!

But not a super star as Progner is or a consitent Norris runner-up like Blake is.

Dont tell me about this knee condition it happen 3-4 years before the end of his carrer.

BJ21
i would take iafrate over both blake and pronger. if you could pick any of the three in their prime - i would honestly take al. it was very tough to win a norris over bourque back then. i cant believe you dont think he could compete in todays game, thats just wrong.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:12 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i would take iafrate over both blake and pronger. if you could pick any of the three in their prime - i would honestly take al. it was very tough to win a norris over bourque back then. i cant believe you dont think he could compete in todays game, thats just wrong.

Why he should compete in todays game when he wasnt hi his prime in WAS...

You think the top five D-men was better then than today?
(not sarcasm really asking)

I mean, he never competed for it! Never...

Blake and Progner are conteder year after year...

Skill based I thing he was a super star potential, but he never produce and act as a Norris candidate IMHO...

BJ21

Old
04-02-2004, 03:44 PM
OldTimeHockey

Quote:
Why he should compete in todays game when he wasnt hi his prime in WAS...

You think the top five D-men was better then than today?
(not sarcasm really asking)

I mean, he never competed for it! Never...

Blake and Progner are conteder year after year...

Skill based I thing he was a super star potential, but he never produce and act as a Norris candidate IMHO...

BJ21
Little confusing to read, but I'll do my best to comprehend.

The first sentence I can't understand at all. Not touching that one

"You think the top 5 dmen were better then, than today?"

If I was asked, I would say you can't comparte one era to another. But Ray Bourque is better than any dman out there today. Paul Coffey was a fireball that could make the Pronger's and Blake's of the worlds head's spin. And Chris Chelios was one of the meanest SOB's to play in the last 25 years. He hit you, spit on you, and beat you until you bled. Name a dman that plays like that today with success.

I personally don't rate Iafrate with Bourque, Coffey or Chelios. But that is only 3. The brains of this post continue to argue he wasn't top 5 but then only shell out 3 names that are ahead of him. Who else rates up there?

And to finish the argument. You can't compare Blake and Pronger with Iafrate, nor can you compare a Pronger with a Bourque. Different eras/Different styles of dmen. Would Iafrate exist in today's NHL? I think anyone would have to say yes. Would Iafrate be a #1 guy. Well that's hard t o say. If he played for a Detroit where there's Lidstrom and Chelios, maybe not/ but he'd also be the best #3 dman in the game.

Listen guys, why must we get our panties in a twist over Al.

We can all agree he was a great/very good hockey player. We all know he had more potential then we saw. Due to injuries and a screw loose, we never saw all of it. But we can still admit that he was a great dman.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:14 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey
Little confusing to read, but I'll do my best to comprehend.

The first sentence I can't understand at all. Not touching that one

"You think the top 5 dmen were better then, than today?"

If I was asked, I would say you can't comparte one era to another. But Ray Bourque is better than any dman out there today. Paul Coffey was a fireball that could make the Pronger's and Blake's of the worlds head's spin. And Chris Chelios was one of the meanest SOB's to play in the last 25 years. He hit you, spit on you, and beat you until you bled. Name a dman that plays like that today with success.

I personally don't rate Iafrate with Bourque, Coffey or Chelios. But that is only 3. The brains of this post continue to argue he wasn't top 5 but then only shell out 3 names that are ahead of him. Who else rates up there?

And to finish the argument. You can't compare Blake and Pronger with Iafrate, nor can you compare a Pronger with a Bourque. Different eras/Different styles of dmen. Would Iafrate exist in today's NHL? I think anyone would have to say yes. Would Iafrate be a #1 guy. Well that's hard t o say. If he played for a Detroit where there's Lidstrom and Chelios, maybe not/ but he'd also be the best #3 dman in the game.

Listen guys, why must we get our panties in a twist over Al.

We can all agree he was a great/very good hockey player. We all know he had more potential then we saw. Due to injuries and a screw loose, we never saw all of it. But we can still admit that he was a great dman.
I'll stop there but I really cant figure out how you could pick Iafrate in front of Progner or even Blake... adn I really was a fan of Al...

BJ21

Old
04-02-2004, 05:42 PM
db23

Iafrate played for the U.S. Olympic team when he was 17. He had a spectacular blend of size, speed and skill, but was probably rushed in his development. Growing up in Michigan, he went from the Compuware midgets to the U.S. National and Olympic teams, to the NHL all in the space of a year and a bit. I really don't think he ever had the time (or perhaps the inclination) to learn the intracacies of the position. He was so big and so skilled, he just relied on his natural gifts to carry him along. Then his style of play led to injuries and basically he was done at about 27 or 28 years old whne he should just have been reaching his prime.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:41 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
I'll stop there but I really cant figure out how you could pick Iafrate in front of Progner or even Blake... adn I really was a fan of Al...

BJ21
for me it comes down to one thing, al was more of a game breaker. pronger and blake are top notch point men with ability to jump into the rush, but neither really come close to al's ability to go end to end. he could make something happen all by himself if needed, as well as fight if that was needed. pronger and blake have consisitency, iafrate had a better top end.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:35 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Strongly disagree.

Iafrate was 20x the player Souray will ever be. The only thing they have in common is a hard shot, and even that Al did better.
Not suprising to see this coming from you.
You have been on these boards for like 3 months and you have already made a name for yourself, showing your bias towards the Leafs and your hatred for the Habs everytime you give your opinion on a Hab... can't deny that.

(not saying the Souray-Iafrate comparision is good anyway but thats not my point, you're always exaggerating things, saying Iafrate is 20x the player Souray is.)

Old
04-02-2004, 09:52 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
...but Iafrate certainly wasn't 20x the player Souray is. Listening to you, we'd be led to beleive Iafrate was Blake, Pronger, Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom, Gandhi and Jesus combined.

No, you're confusing him with Brian Leetch.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Not suprising to see this coming from you.
You have been on these boards for like 3 months and you have already made a name for yourself, showing your bias towards the Leafs and your hatred for the Habs everytime you give your opinion on a Hab... can't deny that.
Iafrate was just plain better than Souray. Get over it.

Last edited by Killer 93: 04-02-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old
04-03-2004, 07:00 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Iafrate was just plain better than Souray. Get over it.
Funny thing is that I think I'd prefer a Souray in his prime to an Iafrate in his prime. Having said that, Sheldon hasn't put together a consistent record of point scoring nor healthy seasons. Big Al was a workhorse for years and years and had respectable point production every year. I don't think we've seen the best of Souray yet, and that's the only reason I hesitate to give this hands down to Iafrate.

Old
04-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Funny thing is that I think I'd prefer a Souray in his prime to an Iafrate in his prime.
That is pretty funny actually. It is also all I needed to read to know your opinion on this topic is a joke.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:04 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
That is pretty funny actually. It is also all I needed to read to know your opinion on this topic is a joke.
Bah Guess what, people have different opinions, it's not everybody who think that Berg is as good as Souray

Old
04-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
Bah Guess what, people have different opinions, it's not everybody who think that Berg is as good as Souray
Who said Berg was as good as Souray?

Iafrate > Souray

Souray is not going to wake up one day and have the skills that Al had, regardless of what your opinion is.

Old
04-03-2004, 06:38 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Who said Berg was as good as Souray?

Iafrate > Souray

Souray is not going to wake up one day and have the skills that Al had, regardless of what your opinion is.
So I guess everyone who counted Souray as the likely Norris winner before his injury (which I mentioned was one of the reasons I WOULD take Iafrate over Souray... sorry you missed the hypothetical tone I was using when talking about "prime") was on crack? They both have big booming shots (of the same speed and accuracy, btw) and can play physically. There shouldn't be any doubt that Souray could put up as many points in a healthy season as Iafrate did, and it's a way more defensive league now. There's also no doubt that he is a great physical player who can clear the crease. So, again, in a hypothetical and healthy prime, I'd still likely take Souray depending on my team's defensive core. So, care to explain your opinion without using the obvious homer hindsight arguments like points, games played, and a big shot? Please note I never said who was "better", simply who I would choose and why... try that.

Finally, you should change dealers if your stuff makes you think Berg can be compared to Larry Robinson using the same language. I'm hoping you were being facetious.

Closed Thread