HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk gets huge minutes...

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Lyons71

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk gets huge minutes...

34:05, in fact. He played almost 27 minutes of even strength time. Watching the Thrashers-Pens game, I knew he was out there a lot, but I've never seen a forward (in regulation) get minutes like this. They really wanted him to score, I guess it paid off. He is going to sleep well tonight.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
You could tell they wanted him to score more than they wanted the win. The Thrashers passed numerous golden scoring chances in order to feed it to Ilya.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:57 PM
GoM

Guess he didn't

Old
04-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Luigi Lemieux

14 shots on goal by himself!

Old
04-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Guess he didn't
Go figure, after the two sure-fire chances, he scores on the backhand.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Just kinda makes me laugh that he scored with 5 seconds left...after the Penguins scored an empty netter to make the goal meaningless.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Higgy4

Well, atleast we know that there was no clause in his contract that paid him extra for winning the Richard Trophy. Otherwise, orders would have come from up high to ease off on his minutes.

Old
04-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Well, atleast we know that there was no clause in his contract that paid him extra for winning the Richard Trophy. Otherwise, orders would have come from up high to ease off on his minutes.
He isn't playing for the Hawks...

Old
04-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
He isn't playing for the Hawks...

:lol

I know. But you cant put it past some teams to do something along these lines.

Old
04-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Birko19

I think it's nice to see the team actually cares about one of their team mates and they give him full support, most importantly the Head coach gives his full support by giving him a lot of minutes, sadly Ilya only managed 1 goal, the team is out of the playoffs so why not at least help a team mate win the scoring race, this is a very nice thing to do.

How many more games do the Thrashers have? I expect the same amout of ice time for Ilya.

Old
04-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
I think it's nice to see the team actually cares about one of their team mates and they give him full support, most importantly the Head coach gives his full support by giving him a lot of minutes, sadly Ilya only managed 1 goal, the team is out of the playoffs so why not at least help a team mate win the scoring race, this is a very nice thing to do.

How many more games do the Thrashers have? I expect the same amout of ice time for Ilya.
I think it may be important for them in the process of building a team. They have a couple of franshise players and the more those guys feel like they are franshise players the better the team will be off in the long run.

Old
04-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19

IMO, it is far worse that the Thrashers basically threw the game in an effort to get Kovalchuk his goal. Even when you arent making the playoffs, the team still has to have more importance than the individual.

Atlanta had better hope that fatigue does not lead to a serious injury either.

Old
04-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Pachoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
IMO, it is far worse that the Thrashers basically threw the game in an effort to get Kovalchuk his goal. Even when you arent making the playoffs, the team still has to have more importance than the individual.

The Thrashers didn't throw the game. Aubin was simply great, that is all. Thrashers had like 39 shots on goal, 14 of them by Kovalchuk alone (very nice of his teammates to feed him the goal so often).

Old
04-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachoo
The Thrashers didn't throw the game. Aubin was simply great, that is all. Thrashers had like 39 shots on goal, 14 of them by Kovalchuk alone (very nice of his teammates to feed him the goal so often).
I'll agree that Aubin was great but the game pretty much was thrown.

I mean not in the tanking essence since they have no reason, but they threw away golden oppertunities to get the puck to a double-teamed Kovalchuk.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:20 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye

This is a joke, right? The whole future of the Atlanta franchise has been thrown down the drain because they blew a meaningless game to get their star player a scoring title? Next year the team chemistry will be completely shot because of this moment, that's assuming that Kova doesn't suffer a career ending fatigue injury?? :lol

Old
04-03-2004, 11:21 AM
bleedgreen

there is nothing wrong with trying to hook up a teamate - yes they got cariied away, but for the right reasons. i dont think this team has been anything but selfless this season - and it showed tonight. they dont care if you didnt like it.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Come on... Nobody complained when Kovalchuk passed up on good shooting opportunities to set up Heatley when he first came back. After all, what's wrong with trying to ease Heatley back into the NHL, right? Now that Kovalchuk is on the receiving end of a favor, things are downright criminal. Can't we just be happy for a kid who had a *great* season under difficult circumstances?

Old
04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
Come on... Nobody complained when Kovalchuk passed up on good shooting opportunities to set up Heatley when he first came back. After all, what's wrong with trying to ease Heatley back into the NHL, right? Now that Kovalchuk is on the receiving end of a favor, things are downright criminal. Can't we just be happy for a kid who had a *great* season under difficult circumstances?
*Very valid point*

Old
04-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Absolut

Thrashers seem like a very tight group. It's nice that the team wanted to do something for Kovy. It speaks volumes about the team, and Kovalchuk's place on it. He worked hard all season, supported Heatley 100%, and was a true leader on the ice. Nothing's wrong with a little "thank you".

Old
04-03-2004, 04:24 PM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
^Because his name is Ilya Kovalchuk, because he's not passive or easy, because he tainted himself by usurping Canadians, and because he's from a place called Tver, Russia.

But anyways, I thought it was really nice of his teammates to try and give him his 40th goal. They sound like an 'all for one and one for all' kind of team. 34 minutes and 14 shots on goal for Ilya last night = Hey btw, they're on US national TV tonight (ESPN2) for all whom are interested in watching.

Old
04-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman
This is a joke, right? The whole future of the Atlanta franchise has been thrown down the drain because they blew a meaningless game to get their star player a scoring title? Next year the team chemistry will be completely shot because of this moment, that's assuming that Kova doesn't suffer a career ending fatigue injury?? :lol
When you have the intelligence to counter what was actually written, feel free to come back.

Old
04-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

Number 41 for Ilya! Tied up with Nash ... again!

Closed Thread