Old
12-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Cone

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
But Koivu is better.
Is there some running inside joke about one of the Koivus being better than Getzlaf?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
Is there some running inside joke about one of the Koivus being better than Getzlaf?
A Minnesota Wild fan who shall not be named claimed that M. Koivu was a better player than Ryan Getzlaf. Nothing more really needs to be said.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
tmntdonjuan

It was State of Hockey...you know...the guy who has a complete bias against the Ducks.

tmntdonjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Cone

Thats craziness.

Old
12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=11283796

Basically read all posts by the nameless fan after that.

I'm not normally that vindictive for things people say, but this was in another class.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
http://columbusdispatch.com/live/con...1.html?sid=101

Quote:
The Blue Jackets felt as if they were up against not only the Ducks but two NHL officials, Dean Warren and Dean Morton.

It was a hooking call on Westcott that gave the Ducks the four-on-three advantage in overtime, leading to Chris Pronger's winning goal with 1:46 left.

"That's a terrible call," Westcott said. "Terrible. That's the kind of call you get if you're the Stanley Cup champions, I guess.

But Hitchcock didn't have a problem with the penalty call.

"It's a penalty," he said.

In fact, an ugly scene in the corner between Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash and Ducks tough guy Rob Niedermayer drew more than a few eyes away from the goal that put the Jackets up 1-0 at 13:36.
A truly terrible piece of journalism lol. That Rob Niedermayer line just put the cherry on top of the cake in terms of hilariousness.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 01:27 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Nice find. Man that Rob's such a bully. Although it was right, I missed the goal because I was watching Rob and Nash.

But that was a pretty weak call that gave Anaheim the game. It's a penalty, but who calls that in OT? The reffing was pretty bad in general.

Old
12-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Chexxum

Send a message via AIM to Chexxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by :cry: Westcott :cry: View Post
"That's a terrible call," Westcott said. "Terrible. That's the kind of call you get if you're the Stanley Cup champions, I guess.
hahahah, those Ducks get away with everything! No wonder they're the least penalized team in the league!

Chexxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Pwnasaurus

Any video of the Getzlaf play on the first goal by Perry? At his size, plays which would look good to really good for a smallish/skilled player look absolutely sick when performed by a player who is as big as Getzy is.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 09:24 AM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
Any video of the Getzlaf play on the first goal by Perry? At his size, plays which would look good to really good for a smallish/skilled player look absolutely sick when performed by a player who is as big as Getzy is.
So many funny thing in that article. Crack is a bad drug kids.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post

A truly terrible piece of journalism lol. That Rob Niedermayer line just put the cherry on top of the cake in terms of hilariousness.
I almost felt bad that we were all complaining about the officiating after a win, until I read that. I like this line: "It's a brutal call five-on-five. It's an even worse call in overtime, four-on-four", which seems to imply that Duvie Westcott thinks that a penalty is only a penalty if it's called at a certain time in the game. I completely agree, how stupid of the referees not to realize it was overtime and put their whistles away. Why even bother with officiating after sixty minutes, right? We all know penalties can't be called four-on-four.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
I almost felt bad that we were all complaining about the officiating after a win, until I read that. I like this line: "It's a brutal call five-on-five. It's an even worse call in overtime, four-on-four", which seems to imply that Duvie Westcott thinks that a penalty is only a penalty if it's called at a certain time in the game. I completely agree, how stupid of the referees not to realize it was overtime and put their whistles away. Why even bother with officiating after sixty minutes, right? We all know penalties can't be called four-on-four.
On the NHL Network yesterday they showed Game 4 of the 1979 playoffs between Boston and Montreal. Late in the tie game the announcers mentioned that for a penalty to be called at this stage in the game it would have to absolutely have prevented a goal.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Joe Canada

Of course, and as fans there are obviously times in the game when we feel it is less appropriate to make a call than others- however, unless I'm missing something from the rulebook, the NHL does not pay referees to use their discretion and be subjective as to when it's "the right time" to call a penalty. If it's a penalty ten seconds into the game, it should be a penalty with ten seconds left in the game.

Old
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

So Perry was benched in the 3rd the previous game because of a bad penalty. It appears McDonald was benched after the 7:00 mark of the 3rd. And he played sparingly in the 1st and 2nd, with only 7:30 of total ice time. What gives?

Sutherby was out again with the strained groin. On the Caps, Sutherby had a bad groin injury that one fan says took about 2 years to heal. It supposedly sapped his mobility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
it was a serious groin injury, it took him the better part of two seasons to heal from it and he still wasn't 100%
His skating looked pretty this year. But with this being the 4th game of a supposed day-to-day injury in the same region as his major injury, you gotta wonder.

Joe Canada: I'm completely against the "a penalty is a penalty" school of thought. For all sports. When it's tied in a late game, you want to see the players decide the victor, not the refs. Not just fans, but multiple announcers have expressed similar sentiments in multiple sports. Personally, I was against that last penalty on Westcott.

Old
12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Pepper

If you think that article was bad, check out BlowJobs GDT. Man, that whining is simply brutal. There are couple of posters who had the balls to admit that it was the Ducks who got the shorter end of the stick, otherwise a total whine-fest.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post

I don't know... The guy looks like he's up to something no good.

RICK NASH is gonna get it!

Old
12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
If you think that article was bad, check out BlowJobs GDT. Man, that whining is simply brutal. There are couple of posters who had the balls to admit that it was the Ducks who got the shorter end of the stick, otherwise a total whine-fest.
Guess that makes up for Fedorov diving eh?

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Joe Canada: I'm completely against the "a penalty is a penalty" school of thought. For all sports. When it's tied in a late game, you want to see the players decide the victor, not the refs. Not just fans, but multiple announcers have expressed similar sentiments in multiple sports. Personally, I was against that last penalty on Westcott.
Like I said, there are going to be times when everybody agrees with you (especially if it happens to the Ducks, for instance). But we can't sit here and rightly complain about a game not being called evenly, whether or not we got the short end of the stick, unless the referees are doing their job and calling a penalty when it's a penalty.

As a purely hypothetical situation, say for the first half of a game, the Ducks are committing infractions and getting called, but in the second half, the Blue Jackets commit just as many (of exactly the same nature). Does that mean you'd find it fair if the referees called 7 penalties on the Ducks and only 3 on the Jackets, because the Jackets did the same things but at a more opportunistic time?

I think if it's a hook, it's a hook. A trip is a trip, and interference is interference, whether there's 10 seconds or 10 minutes left. The problem is that all the officials seem to have such an incredibly low threshold that the standards for what passes as a penalty now are way worse than they should be, hence all the "ticky tack" (thanks Bob McKenzie) calls. It's NOT those calls I want made at the end of games, I think the calls made late in the third and in OT should be real penalties, just as they should be at any point in the game. There's nothing wrong with calling a penalty in overtime that would be called in the second period, as long as what would be called in the second period actually IS a penalty.

Maybe that's hard to understand- it's just that I'm not for bad late penalties, but I'm not against late penalties altogether.

Old
12-11-2007, 01:57 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
Like I said, there are going to be times when everybody agrees with you (especially if it happens to the Ducks, for instance). But we can't sit here and rightly complain about a game not being called evenly, whether or not we got the short end of the stick, unless the referees are doing their job and calling a penalty when it's a penalty.

As a purely hypothetical situation, say for the first half of a game, the Ducks are committing infractions and getting called, but in the second half, the Blue Jackets commit just as many (of exactly the same nature). Does that mean you'd find it fair if the referees called 7 penalties on the Ducks and only 3 on the Jackets, because the Jackets did the same things but at a more opportunistic time?

I think if it's a hook, it's a hook. A trip is a trip, and interference is interference, whether there's 10 seconds or 10 minutes left. The problem is that all the officials seem to have such an incredibly low threshold that the standards for what passes as a penalty now are way worse than they should be, hence all the "ticky tack" (thanks Bob McKenzie) calls. It's NOT those calls I want made at the end of games, I think the calls made late in the third and in OT should be real penalties, just as they should be at any point in the game. There's nothing wrong with calling a penalty in overtime that would be called in the second period, as long as what would be called in the second period actually IS a penalty.

Maybe that's hard to understand- it's just that I'm not for bad late penalties, but I'm not against late penalties altogether.
You're seeing penalties as black and white. Some are worse than others. In the beginning of the game, refs tend to be more strict. In the end of the game, in a tied situation, refs tend to let marginal penalties go without a call. Sometimes they even let some not-so-marginal penalties go and only call the really bad or dangerous ones. Pretty much all of them are penalties by the letter of the law. But the threshold is raised.

As to your hypothetical situation, if in the END (not just the 2nd half) of a TIED game the Blue Jackets commit the same number and magnitude of supposed infractions that the Ducks did in the beginning at the game, then YES, I'd be completely fine with a 7 to 3 imbalance. Only call the very dangerous or important ones (like ones that prevented a scoring chance).

Old
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
You're seeing penalties as black and white. Some are worse than others.
Definitely, there's always room for subjective calls, and that's why I hate hockey video games sometimes, because they don't exercise such discrimination.

But, the rules are still written in a black and white manner insofar as there's no stipulation about making a call or not making one based on the game clock. If anything, I'm very much in favor of not calling the cheap stuff at the end of a game, but only if it's called that way at the start of the game too, so there's some consistency. Teams don't need to approach double digits on powerplay opportunities, but with the way games are called (or expected to be called)- i.e. marginal calls can be made early on- then that's the ultimate outcome.

Old
12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Lyons71

Getzlaf is starting to look REAL good.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
I don't know... The guy looks like he's up to something no good.

RICK NASH is gonna get it!
Is that rick nash or somebody else?

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote