HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Blake waking up?

Old
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

vCash: 500
Blake waking up?

This coming to us thanks to Rich/Matt.....
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

Blake:
He wouldn't fill us in on what he said or why. He said it was a combination of things. Guys around the locker room said he was mad at the refs allowing players to crash into Aubin with LaBarbera already out and a crosscheck he received that wasn't called. Blake said it was the first time in his 18-year career that he's received a game misconduct for something he said.

``I probably shouldn’t have said anything,'' Blake said. ``It was not a very good decision by me. You just don’t put yourself in that position to let that happen. That was my mistake. You put your team in jeopardy, put them down to five defenseman and put yourself short-handed too. There’s nothing good that can come out of it. Just keeping my mouth shut would have been the best decision.''
Blake took responsibility for his words and said he regretted speaking out and leaving the team shorthanded.

Could Blake actually be starting to care about this team???

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post

Nah he just wanted to take the rest of the night off. Then again, he's pretty much taken the entire season off so who knows.

Guess he's getting paid 6 million because he can feed the press lines that you want to hear from a "captain".

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
HawkeyeKnight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post
Personally, I have never for a moment questioned Blake's "caring about this team." What I question is his personal skill set at this time of his career, and whether he's been overvalued by management. Chris Chelios he's not!

HawkeyeKnight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
He cares, and he's played better in his last few games than he has all year. But he just isn't that good anymore.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Captain Ron

I just realized that Rob Blake makes more money playing in ONE hockey game ($73,170) than most of us will make in an entire year at our respective jobs. He averages 22 minutes of ice time per game. Which means he is literally getting paid $3,325.91/minute to play like crap. I would be happy to get $3,000 in a week.This guy should be working his ass off every shift he is on the ice.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
He wanted to get home early so he could get some rest before hitting the surf early AM the next day. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

He had to wait until after LaBarbera was injured before he got pissed about other teams running our goalie?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:24 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

He cares. He's just way past his prime and seems to be more of a liability than an asset now.

I actually don't think he needed to apologize. I think the ref overreacted and to be frank, it's good to see someone get pissed off on this team.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:26 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
He cares. He's just way past his prime and seems to be more of a liability than an asset now.

I actually don't think he needed to apologize. I think the ref overreacted and to be frank, it's good to see someone get pissed off on this team.
This is exactly why I said "Blake waking up?"

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Which means he is literally getting paid $3,325.91/minute to play like crap.
It's cute you busted out the calculator but players don't get paid just to play games.

They are obligated to practice every day at sessions that will generally be more physically demanding than games. Add in off-ice workout sessions and other odds and ends, games only constitute one aspect of what hockey players get paid to do. While games are the most important way to value a players worth, they are certainly not the only thing they get paid to do.

Quote:
I just realized that Rob Blake makes more money playing in ONE hockey game ($73,170) than most of us will make in an entire year at our respective jobs.
It's called capitalism. Blake contributes more to the economy than you - or I - do. Hence, he makes significantly more.

By all means, criticize what he does on the ice. But don't drag a silly, wholly irrelevent reference into play.

Quote:
This guy should be working his ass off every shift he is on the ice.
And where are you getting the idea he doesn't?

I see a guy whose ability has clearly eroded. I don't - however - see a guy who has cashed it in and no longer plays with any dedication. If that was the case, I'm quite certain we would be hearing rumblings from within the franchise about Blake's work ethic and heart.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
And where are you getting the idea he doesn't?

I see a guy whose ability has clearly eroded. I don't - however - see a guy who has cashed it in and no longer plays with any dedication. If that was the case, I'm quite certain we would be hearing rumblings from within the franchise about Blake's work ethic and heart.
I agree. +1

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Randart

As some have asserted not only is he taking responsiblity for protecting his team he is fighting back! And it has been said prahaps playing with young JMFJ is also getting Blake to view things from a more youthful perspective! I hope Crow keeps the two guys as a pairing for the season and also you guys have noted that Lubo and Modry are doing well together as well! I think our pairings may be at thier best like this!

Come on Rob-O play with some real fire and inspire these young guys I know you can do it matey!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote