HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Hossa UFA

Old
12-09-2007, 05:56 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Backes will never score more than 15 goals. You disagree?

Good third liner, skates okay, good size.

But he's not real strong on the puck and doesn't have great hands.
Backes will eventually score 20 goals.. heck.. he had 10 in 49 last season.. i don't see why he can't improve. only 23 years old

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 06:37 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue44 View Post
Backes will eventually score 20 goals.. heck.. he had 10 in 49 last season.. i don't see why he can't improve. only 23 years old
I think Backes will top out at 30, but I see no reason that he can't be a consistent 20 goal scorer in this league with a legitimate center. I believe he is a future top 6 forward and definitely an new NHL top 9 now. We just lack NHL center talent.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
Backes will never score more than 15 goals. You disagree?

Good third liner, skates okay, good size.

But he's not real strong on the puck and doesn't have great hands.
1. Yes, I do. I don't see any reason why Backes can't be a 20-goal guy on a consistent basis. He managed 10 in 49 games as a rookie; yes, he's having a sophomore slump this year, but you can count on your fingers the number of players who don't go through that.

2. I would venture to say that Backes would be an excellent third-liner, not just a "good" third liner. He's come a long way in his skating ability, yes... and that's because of his work ethic and dedication to improvement, which are the "intangibles" that I think make him a more likely 20-goal player than a 15-goal player.

3. I've always been amused when people see a player get stripped of the puck after being hit by a 6'3", 210-pound man, and say, "oh, he's not very strong on the puck."

Even if you're the same size, or close to it as Backes is, when you get hit by a player that big -- or checked by a smaller player with a high skill level -- more often than not, you're going to lose control of the puck. You scrap for it and take it back, and learn from the situation to improve your positioning and rink awareness so that the next time you get hit, you can have the puck in a position to better control it.

That's what people with exceptional hockey sense -- like Backes -- do.

Now, am I saying that David Backes is going to be the next Cam Neely? Lord, no... although I'd sure like to see that. I'm just saying that Backes is big enough, skilled enough, and gifted with enough hockey sense and work ethic to develop over the next couple of years into a consistent 20-goal man and a "power forward" type. He's still getting his feet wet in terms of playing with the big boys at the world's highest level.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Checker*

I hope that Backes is a 3rd liner on this team. If we have 4 wingers better than what he has the potential to be...this team could be a force for a long time. Put me down as Backes being about a consistent 40-50 point guy with serious intangibles.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:27 AM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I hope that Backes is a 3rd liner on this team. If we have 4 wingers better than what he has the potential to be...this team could be a force for a long time. Put me down as Backes being about a consistent 40-50 point guy with serious intangibles.
Slightly bigger version of Adam Deadmarsh, I'll take it.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Slightly bigger version of Adam Deadmarsh, I'll take it.
That's pretty much how I see him as well. Good call, SP...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
StLooFrenchy

All of our young wingers' stats will improve once we are upgraded at the pivot. Before anyone makes a rash prediction about how a young player will top out based on this season's stats so far, they need to remember who is distributing the puck. We need and will get help at center, if not this season, then next, then guys like Backes, Stempy, and Perron should all post good numbers.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
All of our young wingers' stats will improve once we are upgraded at the pivot. Before anyone makes a rash prediction about how a young player will top out based on this season's stats so far, they need to remember who is distributing the puck. We need and will get help at center, if not this season, then next, then guys like Backes, Stempy, and Perron should all post good numbers.

You don't have to have better centers to see that Perron and Stempniak have a lot more skill than Backes.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
You don't have to have better centers to see that Perron and Stempniak have a lot more skill than Backes.
I agree, yet that doesn't mean Backes can't be a 20 goal guy.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I agree, yet that doesn't mean Backes can't be a 20 goal guy.

You're right. It's possible, but I just don't see enough skill. He'll score 15-18 a year on a third line and that would be fine.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 09:29 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
You're right. It's possible, but I just don't see enough skill. He'll score 15-18 a year on a third line and that would be fine.
If Backes drops to the 3rd line and gets no PP time I don't know if he has the speed to work on the PK consistently so you'll probably be right. I just hope you are wrong.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
SneakerPimp82

Sure would've liked a finisher like Hossa to actually hit the next in the 3rd period, like Tkachuk or Perron or Boyes or Mayers. Tonight's game is a prime example of why we need an excellent scorer on this team. You can create all the offense you want, but without the puck going in the net, it's all for naught. Stepping off my soapbox.

Why the hell was Weight out on the shootout and not Stempniak? Argh, just pissed off as hell.

Old
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Sure would've liked a finisher like Hossa to actually hit the next in the 3rd period, like Tkachuk or Perron or Boyes or Mayers. Tonight's game is a prime example of why we need an excellent scorer on this team. You can create all the offense you want, but without the puck going in the net, it's all for naught. Stepping off my soapbox.

Why the hell was Weight out on the shootout and not Stempniak? Argh, just pissed off as hell.
If you are blaming this loss on the forwards you need to go rewatch the game. Fricking Brewer and Walker.... And not playing Perron and EJ in OT....

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 02:56 AM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
If you are blaming this loss on the forwards you need to go rewatch the game. Fricking Brewer and Walker.... And not playing Perron and EJ in OT....
The 2 minute 5 on 3 at the end of the game had a thing or two to do with this loss. Tkachuk, Boyes, Perron and Mayers missing wide open nets had a thing or two to do with this loss as well.

The defense sucked, but when it counted, the offense couldn't pull through with a goal either.

If you didn't see any of the missed wide open chances by the Blues' forwards, I suggest YOU go watch the game.

To all the Brewer supporters out there, he was on the ice for 3 of the goals, and in the box for the 4th. Granted one of the goals was a laser by Souray, and that couldn't really be helped. The others though, Brewer gave the puck away at the Blues blue line, and of course his holding call that led to the 4th goal.

Old
12-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Blue Sur

Maybe he wanted to have one for old times' sake.

None of which has any connection to Marian Hossa and his future. But if anything, now that the kids and Uncle Dougie appeared to have returned from the slumpland, there has been scoring from more than one line. Sure, not rushing to conclusions here, but this is how the team should be built. Solid support on three lines rather than a small, predictable sniping unit.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote