HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Russian Decline In NHL

Old
12-12-2007, 09:57 AM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
i didnt mean you in particular were insulting but it does happen.

Firstly, you dont think there are hitters or scappy goal scorers in these countries? they too come across, though the snipers from these countries (ie Kovalchuk etc) come across as they are the best from there at what they do so they will be more highlighted in a foreign (in this case the NHL) country

and just because a country (ie. USA or Canada) hits more or is more physical doesnt mean they cant be or arent as good in other depts...

Rocket Richard winners recently: guys like Rick Nash or Iginla(x2), Cheechoo, LeCavalier....

so some of the very, very bst scorers dont necessarily have to be russian, czech etc.

my (longwinded) point basically is that a particular country isnt necessarily a guarantee or stereotype for certain type of players....
There is nothing wrong w/ the physical play, but from what I've seen it seems that Euros are better than most NA's in stickhandling, passing and being pure shooters.

Winning a Rocket Richard doesn't make you a great shooter (sniper) it makes you a good scorer yes but not a sniper. Cheecho isn't a sniper by any means, he is set up by a great playmaker such as Thornton. LeCalvalier is a great playmaker, but isn't necesarily a sniper. Personally I think he is the best player in the world right now. But if I were given 1 shot to win a game I would still choose Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk over him b/c they have that ridiculous russian wrist shot. Russians players have become know for their great wrist shots Kovs, Jagr, Bure, Mogilny, Malkin, Ovechkin, Fedorov. They are also some of the flashier players in the league.

The Russians and Czechs were known from the 60's through the early 90's for their dominance. They dominated through great shots, and spectacular passing. While NA's have certainly closed the gap on it but are still not quite on par w/ the some Euros.

Sweden is another country that has some of the best playmakers and passers come out of it.

Their different style of play is more for passing and shooting, while the NA style is more dump and chase, and crash the net. There is nothing wrong w/ either style.

Also from what I have read is that in the RSL officiating is much more stringent and many plays that NA's get away w/ here will definately get called over there. This will also lead them to be less physical than their NA counterparts.

Right now Canada is the best hockey country in the world and but it's not because they are better passer's or shooters. It is because they have closed the gap significantly between themselves and Russia/Czech to where they are almost equal, and they force Russia to play a more physical game which they are not used to. it was evident in the Superseries.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 10:01 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
There is nothing wrong w/ the physical play, but from what I've seen it seems that Euros are better than most NA's in stickhandling, passing and being pure shooters.

Winning a Rocket Richard doesn't make you a great shooter (sniper) it makes you a good scorer yes but not a sniper. Cheecho isn't a sniper by any means, he is set up by a great playmaker such as Thornton. LeCalvalier is a great playmaker, but isn't necesarily a sniper. Personally I think he is the best player in the world right now. But if I were given 1 shot to win a game I would still choose Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk over him b/c they have that ridiculous russian wrist shot. Russians players have become know for their great wrist shots Kovs, Jagr, Bure, Mogilny, Malkin, Ovechkin, Fedorov. They are also some of the flashier players in the league.

The Russians and Czechs were known from the 60's through the early 90's for their dominance. They dominated through great shots, and spectacular passing. While NA's have certainly closed the gap on it but are still not quite on par w/ the some Euros.

Sweden is another country that has some of the best playmakers and passers come out of it.

Their different style of play is more for passing and shooting, while the NA style is more dump and chase, and crash the net. There is nothing wrong w/ either style.

Also from what I have read is that in the RSL officiating is much more stringent and many plays that NA's get away w/ here will definately get called over there. This will also lead them to be less physical than their NA counterparts.

Right now Canada is the best hockey country in the world and but it's not because they are better passer's or shooters. It is because they have closed the gap significantly between themselves and Russia/Czech to where they are almost equal, and they force Russia to play a more physical game which they are not used to. it was evident in the Superseries.
i agree with some of that, and i'd answer in full but am in a rush (in work!!) but the super series is a terrbile example as the russians fielded a far from full strength team and the Canadians had a very strong team out there.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote