Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Ovechkin gets a "Rest"

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Foppa_Rules

vCash: 500
Ovechkin gets a "Rest"

According to dynamo.ru, Ovechkin was told he could take a "rest" and was replaced for the last game with Radulov. Dynamo plays again tomorrow so we will see if this was just a one-game thing or a longer "rest".

Old
03-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Jacob

Why put it in quotation marks? What do you think was the real reason?

Old
03-12-2004, 02:01 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Why put it in quotation marks? What do you think was the real reason?
I have no knowledge of the situation, but you know how "politics" can get in the way.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:30 AM
leafaholix*

Or maybe they just want to rest him?

Old
03-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Foppa_Rules

Rest him. I suppose he has played alot of games and traveled a lot this season internationally but he has been playing well lately. He plays at 11:00 AM today so hopefully he's there and hopefully he plays on the 1'st or 2'nd line instead of the third or fourth like he has been lately.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Foppa_Rules

Ovechkin is back and russianprospects.com says that he was out for one game with a minor injury. He played today at 11:00 AM against Lada.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:45 AM
winnipegjets4life

what kind of numbers has he put up this year?

Old
03-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Foppa_Rules

Better than what he got last year. Last year he got 8 goals 8 assists, this year he got 13 goals 10 assists. The goals he scored are awesome. I have the videos of most of them. Once he scored but it was dissalowed even though it clearly went in the net--I have the video--and the goal judge was fired soon after for cheating trying to help the other team win by dissalowing an obvious goal by Ovechkin. Ovechkin just went out and scored another in the same game. This time the goal was allowed even though he should have gotton TWO goals counted that game. He hasn't been doing all that well at times, just looking at stats alone, since the World Juniors. I don't think he's quite recovered from that. Plus he has played a lot of games this year, the Dynamo Regular season as well as several inetrantional tournaments. He's going to the exibition games of the World Championships and is expected to participate in the tournament.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:04 AM
winnipegjets4life

a year in the A might be in order then?

Old
03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets4life
a year in the A might be in order then?
What? Why would any team put him in the AHL for a year? He's putting those numbers up in a league of grown men and a league that has alot less scoring then the NHL (rarely is there a player with a point per game pace in the RSL).

Old
03-31-2004, 02:51 PM
winnipegjets4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
What? Why would any team put him in the AHL for a year? He's putting those numbers up in a league of grown men and a league that has alot less scoring then the NHL (rarely is there a player with a point per game pace in the RSL).
Ah alright. I dont really know much about the rsl. What were kovalchuk's numbers in his last rsl season (just for the sake of comparison)

Old
03-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Jacob

Kovalchuk never played in the RSL.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Foppa_Rules

The RSL is commonly considered to be the second best league in the world. Why would he want to take a step down to the AHL? That's right, Kovalchuk only made it to the High League, which is also significant because Kovalchuk couldn't make it to the Superleague at even 18 but Ovechkin made it at 16. The High League to the Superleague is the AHL to the NHL.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Jacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa_Rules
The RSL is commonly considered to be the second best league in the world. Why would he want to take a step down to the AHL? That's right, Kovalchuk only made it to the High League, which is also significant because Kovalchuk couldn't make it to the Superleague at even 18 but Ovechkin made it at 16. The High League to the Superleague is the AHL to the NHL.
I was under the impression that he didn't play in the Superleague because they divide the teams into two leagues, kinda like if the NHL was divided into two leagues of 15 teams each. Superleague is kinda like the top teams in the NHL, Upper (Higher) League is like the bottom 15, of which the Thrashers would be in if the NHL was set up like this.

I can't explain it very well so here's the defintion from azhockey.com:

Teams from one division did not play against teams from the other division, the top four teams from each division and bottom four teams from the Russian SuperLeague played in a 12 team qualification tournament at the end of the season 1999-00 season - the top two teams from this tournament play in the Russian SuperLeague 2000-01.

So it was never a question of if Kovalchuk was good enough to play in the Superleague, its just that the team wasn't good enough. The Upper (Higher) League is not really like the AHL, since teams don't pull from there. They pull from what is refrenced to as Rus3 on most stat sheets.

The team he played on (Spartak) actually played in the Superleague in 1998-1999(year before he started playing).

So saying Kovalchuk only made it to the Upper (High) League is accurate, but not because of a lack of skill on his part.

Jacky

Old
04-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky
Teams from one division did not play against teams from the other division, the top four teams from each division and bottom four teams from the Russian SuperLeague played in a 12 team qualification tournament at the end of the season 1999-00 season - the top two teams from this tournament play in the Russian SuperLeague 2000-01.
To add to this: The bottom two Super League teams move down into the Upper League, and the top two from the Upper League are promoted at the end of each season, but I think there are changes afoot before the 2004 season.

Old
04-01-2004, 05:06 AM
Jacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
To add to this: The bottom two Super League teams move down into the Upper League, and the top two from the Upper League are promoted at the end of each season, but I think there are changes afoot before the 2004 season.
I was just talking about when Kovalchuk played, since I can't find any information about the leagues that are up to date. Know any webpages(preferably in English)?

Thanks,
Jacky

Old
04-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
It still would stand that the RSL is a better league because of the fact that it is playing the better teams.

It's not Kovalchuk's fault that he never played in the RSL though, one of those things that's just out of the player's control.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky
I was just talking about when Kovalchuk played, since I can't find any information about the leagues that are up to date. Know any webpages(preferably in English)?

Thanks,
Jacky
No, sorry. I read that the Super League will only have 14 teams next year, but I don't know how they will pick the teams, or how relegation will work. I'll post it if I find it.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:16 AM
SIBIR

Send a message via ICQ to SIBIR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
No, sorry. I read that the Super League will only have 14 teams next year, but I don't know how they will pick the teams, or how relegation will work. I'll post it if I find it.
no. RSL will have 16 teams. best 14 RSL teams in 2003/04 + 2 two from upper league.

Amur Khabarovsk and Torpedo Nizhnij Novogorod are relegated.

The winner of semi-finals (best of three series) in the Upper league:

Mechel Tscheljabinsk - Spartak Moscow

and

Molot Perm - Traktor Tscheljabinsk

wil play in RSL in 2004/05

Old
04-03-2004, 06:26 AM
winnipegjets4life

thanks for clearing ewverythin iup for me. now i just hope phoenix can get that top pick!!!!

Old
04-03-2004, 08:02 PM
DougKnowsBest

CSKA played with zherdev's playing time and he was put on the 4th and 5th lines before he left.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBIR
no. RSL will have 16 teams. best 14 RSL teams in 2003/04 + 2 two from upper league.
So no change? Both papers in Edmonton kept saying that it was changing next year, though I don't put much stock in what they have to say. It would certainly explain why I couldn't find any information about the change elsewhere.

Closed Thread