HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Eric Brewer

Old
10-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Snipeshow

vCash: 500
Eric Brewer

When is he expect back? Is there any projected time for when he'll come back?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Spoke

I believe they said he could end up missing the entire season.

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
link?

troll

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post

Who is this "they" and when did "they" say this? If you want to answer someone on here's question, it may be a good idea in the future to get it from an actual source rather than pulling it out of your ass.

Now to actually answer the question

"Brewer, who also was thought to be returning as soon as Wednesday, will need a few more days to rest the shoulder injury that he suffered in the season opener. He has been skating with the team the past two days, but he's wearing an orange "no-contact" jersey.

"It's getting a little better," Brewer said. "We'll just play it day by day and wing it. I haven't been in full contact yet, so we should probably get in a practice or two and see how that is."

Murray said Tuesday that next week is the target for Brewer's return."
-Jeremy Rutherford (10/17/2007)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...8?OpenDocument

Last edited by Checker*: 10-18-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Who is this "they" and when did "they" say this? If you want to answer someone on here's question, it may be a good idea in the future to get it from an actual source rather than pulling it out of your ass.

Now to actually answer the question

"Brewer, who also was thought to be returning as soon as Wednesday, will need a few more days to rest the shoulder injury that he suffered in the season opener. He has been skating with the team the past two days, but he's wearing an orange "no-contact" jersey.

"It's getting a little better," Brewer said. "We'll just play it day by day and wing it. I haven't been in full contact yet, so we should probably get in a practice or two and see how that is."

Murray said Tuesday that next week is the target for Brewer's return."
-Jeremy Rutherford (10/17/2007)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...8?OpenDocument
Thanks a lot.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 03:05 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Brewer will be in the lineup tonight against Minny, Walker will sit

http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-morning-skate

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
General Veers

Strickland is quickly losing credibility with me. Here is a quote from his last blog: "Fans have expected Brewer to perform at a more dominating, consistent level than he is probably capable of playing." Ok Andy, THEN WHY IS ON THE TOP PAIRING?!?!?! Is he seriously saying a top pairing defenseman doesn't have to be solid? If Brewer isn't dominating, fine. But to say a top pairing guy doesn't have to be solid is just stupid. He also mentions the "Pronger hangover" which is a non-issue to any Blues fan who knows the sport. I'm getting sick of Strickland's little blogs because half the time it's full of mis-information(Perron to WJC's,Backes playing vs. Wild, etc.), and the other half of the time it's cheerleading for the team. His inadequacy was echoed by Kerbs, who on KMOX last week said "these bloggers" should research more before posting their work. Kerbs then specifically mentioned Backes' return time as a screw-up by the "bloggers". Since Strickland was the only Blues blogger to mention Backes playing against Minn. it's clearly a shot at him, which I commend Kerbs for doing.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC
Strickland is quickly losing credibility with me. Here is a quote from his last blog: "Fans have expected Brewer to perform at a more dominating, consistent level than he is probably capable of playing." Ok Andy, THEN WHY IS ON THE TOP PAIRING?!?!?! Is he seriously saying a top pairing defenseman doesn't have to be solid? If Brewer isn't dominating, fine. But to say a top pairing guy doesn't have to be solid is just stupid. He also mentions the "Pronger hangover" which is a non-issue to any Blues fan who knows the sport. I'm getting sick of Strickland's little blogs because half the time it's full of mis-information(Perron to WJC's,Backes playing vs. Wild, etc.), and the other half of the time it's cheerleading for the team. His inadequacy was echoed by Kerbs, who on KMOX last week said "these bloggers" should research more before posting their work. Kerbs then specifically mentioned Backes' return time as a screw-up by the "bloggers". Since Strickland was the only Blues blogger to mention Backes playing against Minn. it's clearly a shot at him, which I commend Kerbs for doing.
Count me among those who are less than impressed with Strickland.

DISCLAIMER: Shameless self-promotion follows...

Personally, I think that "St. Louis Game Time" is by far the best Blues-related blog out there... and they have a print version as well, on sale for the best four bucks you'll ever spend, before every Blues' home game.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Right now he is being outperformed by an undrafted FA (Wagner), and a 19 year old in his first professional season(Johnson). Forget about him playing like Pronger. We would be happy if he played like Eric Weinrich. He just isn't worth the trouble of getting upset anymore because he is just plain bad. The only hope is that he plays a decent game once in a while like Sasha Khavanov.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
Right now he is being outperformed by an undrafted FA (Wagner), and a 19 year old in his first professional season(Johnson). Forget about him playing like Pronger. We would be happy if he played like Eric Weinrich. He just isn't worth the trouble of getting upset anymore because he is just plain bad. The only hope is that he plays a decent game once in a while like Sasha Khavanov.
Agreed. The only problem is Wein-o and Sasha weren't making over 4 MIL. a season. Which Brewer will be doing after getting 3.5 this year.(I think)

Last edited by General Veers: 12-11-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Checker*

The last two posts just prove most of the Brewer hatred just isn't grounded in reality

Old
12-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Count me among those who are less than impressed with Strickland.

DISCLAIMER: Shameless self-promotion follows...

Personally, I think that "St. Louis Game Time" is by far the best Blues-related blog out there... and they have a print version as well, on sale for the best four bucks you'll ever spend, before every Blues' home game.

P_B

I ripped Andy a new one on Hockeybuzz for his hypocracy. In his December 4 blog he questioned Murray for not benching Brewer for his inconsistent play....then in today's 1st blog, he states people who demand Brewer be benched are unfairly criticizing Brewer.

Needless to say, Strickland has become a puppet for the Blues organization, printing whatever they preach to him as the gospel. My criticism of Andy on the HB message board somehow disappeared....though it may have had something to do with telling him that the only backbone he had was the one management was slipping up his nether-region.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
The last two posts just prove most of the Brewer hatred just isn't grounded in reality
As is usually the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I won't even bother to knock Brewer because there are other D-men I'm more unhappy with now. Jackman specifically and my original whipping boy Backman who was just exposed by Ryan Smyth with last change in Colorado. Honestly, the one guy I thought I could count on no matter what,McKee, has dissapointed me as well. This isn't a rag on the Blues D session guys, but I'm a bit up in the air as to who I'd like to see on this blueline next year. I take consolation in the fact that one of,Brewer,Backman,Jackman,McKee will be moved and the situation will become a little more clear. Basically until EJ steps up and takes a top pairing job, Brew will have to play there. The way Jackmans playing I sure don't want him there. I think Jackmans play is forcing Brew to the top pairing where his lack of hockey sense can be more easily exposed. Bottom line, I know Brews limitations and so I can't get as mad at him as I can at Jackman who can play much better than he has so far. Just MHO.

As far as Strickland, he can keep his insults towards intelligent Blues fans to himself. He can buy that company line bull**** if he wants to but don't try to feed it to us. Please, we're mad cause he got traded for Pronger? Super weak argument there Andy. He acts as though we're all STLBlues posters who just need to have things explained to us. It's obvious he just spewed back out what management told him and doesn't want to get snubbed for interviews later on.

Last edited by TK 421: 12-11-2007 at 04:30 PM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
milieu bluez

Well I still like Strickland, but this constant cuddling with Brewer is getting realy old.

Brewers rating with fans like myself has nothing to do with who he was traded for or other D-men that have worn the note. Brewer just has a sloppy all around game. The guy is out of position so much, looses position to forwards, telegraphs his outlet pass or just fumbles, seems to fall alot, never gets a shot on net, and just is unreliable. I don't see the heart, that Blues fans desirve to see out of there "TOP" players. The only thing that makes this more frustrating isn't the Pronger comparision thing, its he is built like a machine. He can skate and hes strong with slightly above average puck handling. You just expect more from a guy with the tools he has.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
doesn't want to get snubbed for interviews later on.
And don't forget the comp doughnuts! Mikalcz (sp?) was Andy's size once. Once.

Right on about Brews. Anyone expecting a true #1 dominant D man is bound to be disapointed, but, unfortunately, he is as close as we have.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 05:07 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
And don't forget the comp doughnuts! Mikalcz (sp?) was Andy's size once. Once.

Right on about Brews. Anyone expecting a true #1 dominant D man is bound to be disapointed, but, unfortunately, he is as close as we have.
I would love to see the guy in your avy get a call up. He's playing with confidence from what I understand. No room though until a trade is made.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
General Veers

I believe the goalies and forwards play has had WAY more to do with our great D numbers than the play of the D-men. If the unit as a whole was doing it's job, we wouldn't need Man and Han to stand on their heads. We wouldn't need forwards having to do extra backckecking which would free them up for more O-zone play(McClem.) I won't even start on the lack of points from the D. I guess I just wish AM would throw EJ in there and KEEP him there! He's proven he can hack it!

Old
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
As an Oiler fan, this thread is making me very nostalgic. The story of Eric Brewer hasn't changed much over the years.

The one thing I've always liked about Brewer was that he always played his best hockey when the games mattered most. Down the streach, and in the playoffs, he always seemed to play like a top 10-15 NHL defenceman. Even in the Olympics and the World Championships, he was always one of Canada's best D-men come game time. On the flip side, he'd play like crap for the first 65 games of the season, and we (Oiler fans) would always be left wondering when he was going to put it all together.

There is a lot to like about his game. He's a good skater, he's big enough to be able to handle the big forwards down low, and he can be a very good penalty killer (though I think almost anyone who's a half decent skater can be a good penalty killer if they're well coached, as opposed to being a good powerplay performer). However, there are almost as many things not to like. For example, he has no business on an NHL powerplay (MacT used to try to have him QB the damn thing!), he doesn't have a great wrist shot, and I can't remember ever seeing him take a slapshot, and he makes a lot of bad decisions.

I'm still a Brewer fan, and I'd love to have him back with the Oilers, but the Blues and Oilers are terrible trade partners at the moment. At least if Dmen are involved.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
My criticism of Andy on the HB message board somehow disappeared....though it may have had something to do with telling him that the only backbone he had was the one management was slipping up his nether-region.

You go, JD...

I guess I just don't understand how Strickland got his break in the first place. He's a lousy writer who doesn't do a very good job of fact-checking, and his on-air presence sucks rancid ***, so how he ever got a radio gig is a complete mystery to me.

Not to blow my own horn, but I feel that I'm a better writer than Strickland, and I'll put the body of my work for "Game Time" up against Strickland's little gossip column any day of the week.

I certainly feel that I know more about the prospects than he does; and I've had experience on radio, doing color commentary for a season and a half in the old UHL, and a couple of radio shows discussing the prospects.

Whose fanny do I have to kiss? That seems like what Stickland did to get where he is, because he sure didn't get there on talent...

/

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
"Blues Clues"

ugh.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

You go, JD...

I guess I just don't understand how Strickland got his break in the first place. He's a lousy writer
/

P_B

I also think that Strickland is not a very good writer at all. His style is incongruant and he misorders many clauses. Not smooth and very confusing.

Larry Wigge is another that annoys the hell out of me and I wonder how people like him ever got to be a known sports writer. He has lots of typos in his articles and he also misorders some clauses, which, again, causes confusion. At least Wigge writes a decent story.

Brewer. Whatever. He's a warm body.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 11:13 AM
St.Louis sports fan

Quote:
Enlighten us then because we're all waiting for this so-called reality to start showing up in games.

Let's say I'm on the fence on Brewer as a fan. Tell me why I should like him.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
Enlighten us then because we're all waiting for this so-called reality to start showing up in games.

Let's say I'm on the fence on Brewer as a fan. Tell me why I should like him.
Because right now his play isn't indicitave of what he is. Eric Brewer is a damn good #3/#4 defenseman. Unfortunately he's forced, because we have no top pairing defensemen, to play as if he's a top pairing defenseman. With more minutes, minutes against other teams top lines, and more responsibilities, the holes in his game are alot more evident than if he was playing 2nd pairing minutes lined up against the other teams 2nd and 3rd lines. All of this "Brewer sucks" "[x] is better than Brewer" "Brewer needs to sit" nonsense is getting tiring. Playing him as a number 1 defenseman and *****ing about it is like lining Jamal Mayers up on the top line and *****ing when he doesn't score 40 goals. I guarantee that if McKee, Backman, Salvador, etc. was given Brewer's current responsibilities, they'd struggle as well. Unfortunately, Brewer is going to be stuck in his current role until Erik Johnson is ready, a surprise trade happens, or we sign a true top pairing stopgap. Also, fortunately, Brewer is still young enough that he should be "entering his prime" soon. Other defensemen have clicked into another gear at Brewer's age. Maybe Andy Murray knows that if he sticks with the trial by fire of Brewer, he'll eventually fufill his potential. If not, then hopefully we'll get 2 better defensemen than Brewer in St. Louis here soon.

Old
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Because right now his play isn't indicitave of what he is. Eric Brewer is a damn good #3/#4 defenseman. Unfortunately he's forced, because we have no top pairing defensemen, to play as if he's a top pairing defenseman. With more minutes, minutes against other teams top lines, and more responsibilities, the holes in his game are alot more evident than if he was playing 2nd pairing minutes lined up against the other teams 2nd and 3rd lines. All of this "Brewer sucks" "[x] is better than Brewer" "Brewer needs to sit" nonsense is getting tiring. Playing him as a number 1 defenseman and *****ing about it is like lining Jamal Mayers up on the top line and *****ing when he doesn't score 40 goals. I guarantee that if McKee, Backman, Salvador, etc. was given Brewer's current responsibilities, they'd struggle as well. Unfortunately, Brewer is going to be stuck in his current role until Erik Johnson is ready, a surprise trade happens, or we sign a true top pairing stopgap. Also, fortunately, Brewer is still young enough that he should be "entering his prime" soon. Other defensemen have clicked into another gear at Brewer's age. Maybe Andy Murray knows that if he sticks with the trial by fire of Brewer, he'll eventually fufill his potential. If not, then hopefully we'll get 2 better defensemen than Brewer in St. Louis here soon.
Checker, you make a lot of good points. I don't like Brewer. Never have even back to his Islander days. I didn't see where the word defenseman and Brewer should be used in the same sentence. I will readily admit that he had a strong stretch of games prior to the last few, but these last two games deserve a quick trip to the press box. Backman was worse than Brewer the previous game, but this game should put Brewer in the press box. If it does not, then I have to question AM and JD's judgement. 2 goals (not three) were the direct result of Brewer's actions. At some point, they have to get his attention that he isn't exempt from gathering splinters.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 07:42 PM
NDBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
I ripped Andy a new one on Hockeybuzz for his hypocracy. In his December 4 blog he questioned Murray for not benching Brewer for his inconsistent play....then in today's 1st blog, he states people who demand Brewer be benched are unfairly criticizing Brewer.

Needless to say, Strickland has become a puppet for the Blues organization, printing whatever they preach to him as the gospel. My criticism of Andy on the HB message board somehow disappeared....though it may have had something to do with telling him that the only backbone he had was the one management was slipping up his nether-region.

Dude, I read that this morning! I went to go get a buddy to check it out but by the time we got back to the computer, it was gone! Good one!

NDBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote