HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: MLB / NFL / NBA Thread

Old
12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Between having a superior line-up and a pretty good defensive group around him and it taking the AL to get used to his delivery, he looks to be a very good gamble.
This is an interesting point. Willis' motion is distinctive enough to give him an advatage over American League hitters. Chances are favorable for a strong start.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 11:20 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Interesting deal. Although I think Andrew Miller is a great pickup, the guy to watch is Cameron Maybin. The kid has great speed, a quick bat and he's still young. With the huge center field in Miami, he is going to do alot of damage. Great deal for the Marlins.

As for Detroit..there's no doubt they are getting talent. Cabrera, despite weight problems, is a hell of a hitter..kind of a poor man's Albert Pujols in my opinion.

Willis is the biggest question. He started going downhill with Florida..how is he going to adjust to the AL? During a Mets/Marlins late-season game, Ron Darling brought up an excellent point that Willis has gained too much weight (specifically in his legs) over the past 2 seasons that his motion has changed and has, in turn, changed the velocity of his pitches and made him less effective overall.

Then again, there's always the fact that leaving the Marlins could be just what he needed, so we will see. But that Detroit lineup is absolutely insane:

1B - Guillen
2B - Polanco
SS - Renteria
3B - Cabrera
LF - Jacque Jones
CF - Granderson
RF - Ordonez
C - Rodriguez
DH - Sheffield

Sweet Jesus.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:03 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Interesting deal. Although I think Andrew Miller is a great pickup, the guy to watch is Cameron Maybin. The kid has great speed, a quick bat and he's still young. With the huge center field in Miami, he is going to do alot of damage. Great deal for the Marlins.

As for Detroit..there's no doubt they are getting talent. Cabrera, despite weight problems, is a hell of a hitter..kind of a poor man's Albert Pujols in my opinion.

Willis is the biggest question. He started going downhill with Florida..how is he going to adjust to the AL? During a Mets/Marlins late-season game, Ron Darling brought up an excellent point that Willis has gained too much weight (specifically in his legs) over the past 2 seasons that his motion has changed and has, in turn, changed the velocity of his pitches and made him less effective overall.

Then again, there's always the fact that leaving the Marlins could be just what he needed, so we will see. But that Detroit lineup is absolutely insane:

1B - Guillen
2B - Polanco
SS - Renteria
3B - Cabrera
LF - Jacque Jones
CF - Granderson
RF - Ordonez
C - Rodriguez
DH - Sheffield

Sweet Jesus.
exactly, beasty

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Here's exactly why I think Coughlin is the wrong coach for Eli:

Quote:
Every time Eli Manning has some success in the no-huddle offense, as he did during the Giants' wild comeback in Chicago on Sunday, there are renewed cries for the Giants to use it more often. And every time, Tom Coughlin essentially says, "No."

However, maybe it's time for a little more of it - especially when Manning seems out of sync, as he did in the first three quarters on Sunday. Look what it did for Rex Grossman when the Bears opened in the no-huddle on Sunday. They scored on their first drive, he completed his first eight passes and he looked pretty good for most of the game.

"We are reluctant to just go to that because of the flexibility, the utilization of personnel and the mix of run and play-action passes," Coughlin said. In other words, the no-huddle limits their options, and the Giants prefer to switch personnel frequently and vary their play-calling and approach.

Of course, when the quarterback is out of sync, all the switching and variety doesn't really matter. It might not be a bad idea to use the no-huddle early if they sense Manning needs a little jolt.
From today's Daily News.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
TomLaidlaw

The Mets are interested in Livan Hernandez and Bartolo Colon. Are we trying to field a competitive eating team? Why don't we sign Joey Chesnut and Kobayashi too.

This is who Colon reminds me of.............. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0uQ...eature=related

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
don't forget about pugh, granderson, sheffield + willis, verlander, etc

the tigers are beasty
imho that is NOT a good trade. Cabrera is a DH, lets all just get that out of the way, hes not going to be much more than that. A great DH for sure, but a DH none the less. He basically is manny ramirez, great bat, but not great at anything else.

Cameron Maybin might be the best prospect ive seen since.....i dunno...Andruw Jones? The kid is a stud, and almost universally picked as the top non-pitching prospect out there, honestly im shocked detroit traded him.

Also, a lot of people believe d-train is going to turn everything around, but his numbers across the board have gone down every year. what was his era last year? like 5? in a big time pitchers park. Hes going to be facing some awesome hitting teams in the AL. i dont think he sruvives to be honest.

the question really becomes how good do you think those 2 prospects are going to be, because there is no denying that cabrera is one of the most feared hitters in baseball.

To put it in other terms, as much as i love phil hughes, i probably would have traded him for maybin.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
imho that is NOT a good trade. Cabrera is a DH, lets all just get that out of the way, hes not going to be much more than that. A great DH for sure, but a DH none the less. He basically is manny ramirez, great bat, but not great at anything else.

Cameron Maybin might be the best prospect ive seen since.....i dunno...Andruw Jones? The kid is a stud, and almost universally picked as the top non-pitching prospect out there, honestly im shocked detroit traded him.

Also, a lot of people believe d-train is going to turn everything around, but his numbers across the board have gone down every year. what was his era last year? like 5? in a big time pitchers park. Hes going to be facing some awesome hitting teams in the AL. i dont think he sruvives to be honest.

the question really becomes how good do you think those 2 prospects are going to be, because there is no denying that cabrera is one of the most feared hitters in baseball.

To put it in other terms, as much as i love phil hughes, i probably would have traded him for maybin.
In think you're off on Cabrera. He's more than a DH. He is probably better suited to be a LF or 1B but he's an adequate 3B.

12-05-2007, 04:58 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
In think you're off on Cabrera. He's more than a DH. He is probably better suited to be a LF or 1B but he's an adequate 3B.
Gotta disagree with you there, Singn. He's a pretty atrocious fielder at 3B. Virtually no range whatsoever and a miserable fielding %. Not to mention that if he gets any fatter he's gonna start knocking his shortstop over with ground tremors every time he dives for a ball.

But Sheffield doesn't have too many years left in him, so I'm betting Miggy will be the Tigers' full time DH in a year or two.

Their best bet would probably be to put him in LF, Jacque Jones on the bench, and keep Brandon Inge at 3B because he's a grat fielder.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 07:17 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
kind of a poor man's Albert Pujols in my opinion.
That is simply not doing him justice. Pujols is one of the finest hitters produced in quite some time. The beginning of his career is comprable to some of the greatest players ever. MCab is not all that far off. Right now, in a worse ballpark and with much less protection, MCab is producing more than a young A-Rod did. For as good as David Wright has been, his peripherals have basically been the same. MCab's incremental increase in all the peripherals from year to year has simply been off the chart. He is no Brooks Robinson, but he is not quite that bad. He is certainly not an Ortiz, Giambi or Butler in the field. He is more than capable of remaining a position player. I do not believe that his future is as a DH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan
He's a pretty atrocious fielder at 3B. Virtually no range whatsoever and a miserable fielding %.
Fielding may not be his forte, but as Singn' said he simply may be better as an outfielder of 1b. However, I have to believe that the weight that he has purportedly already lost and whatever else he may loose, will help him.
Quote:
Not to mention that if he gets any fatter he's gonna start knocking his shortstop over with ground tremors every time he dives for a ball.
Fat or not, he is already one of the top-3 hitters in the game. And it is not like either Howard or Fielder is svelte.
Quote:
But Sheffield doesn't have too many years left in him, so I'm betting Miggy will be the Tigers' full time DH in a year or two.
I disagree on two things. First of all, like Singin' I highly doubt that he becomes a DH anywhere in the near future. Second of all, there is no guarantee that he will remain in Detroit. I am more betting that he becomes a free agent. He is only 24 now, so that type of talent hitting the free agent market at the age of 26 is much more believable than him not testing the market.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Fat or not, he is already one of the top-3 hitters in the game. And it is not like either Howard or Fielder is svelte.

I disagree on two things. First of all, like Singin' I highly doubt that he becomes a DH anywhere in the near future. Second of all, there is no guarantee that he will remain in Detroit. I am more betting that he becomes a free agent. He is only 24 now, so that type of talent hitting the free agent market at the age of 26 is much more believable than him not testing the market.
The issue with his weight isn't so much the weight itself, but rather the amount that he's put on in just 3 years (70 lbs). When you're that young and you put on that much bad weight (because he's not muscular, he's FAT), then imagine how big he'd be by the time he hits 30. We're talking about someone who was well on his way to eating himself out of the league. That, plus his trangressions on the field and in the clubhouse, simply adds to his overall reputation as a lazy player. That's what makes him different than Howard and Prince, because those guys are just naturally big (plus, given the elder Fielder's career arc, I'm not sure having comparable weight issues to Prince Fielder is a good thing).

Now if the reports about him losing weight are true and he's able to keep it off, then perhaps it'll mean that he's undergone a positive change in his work ethic. He certainly could use it.

And yes he's due to become a free agent, but given how much the Tigers just invested in him, you'd better believe they're going to do everything they possibly can to keep him in Detroit with a long-term deal.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
frozenrubber

Mitchell Report

With the Mitchell report only an hour away...the first name to trickle out...Roger Clemens.

His career was stellar, but he was always a self-absorbed ass. This report just made me smile a little.

(I won't celebrate too much, the Yankees will probably sign him to pitch 4 innings next year for 28 million dollars...)

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:46 PM
frozenrubber

Start reading the report from page 215. Clemons even had the Yankees hire his "trainer" to come to the Yankees from the Blue Jays when he first signed on w/ the Yanks.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'm not surprised Clemens is on the list. You always heard about him being a healthy nut and exercise freak, but I don't care how much you work out, playing at that level at his age was a little fishy.

Sheffield, Mo Vaughn, Andy Pettite, Todd Hundley are among others on the list.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I decided to make a list of names that were highlighted on the report...so those can see the names. Im not sure if others are mentioned throughout the report in detail but the ones i noticed in bold or underlined i added together

marvin benard
Barry Bonds
bobby estalella
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Benito Santiago
Gary Shefffield
Randy Velarde
Lenny dykstra
david segui
larry bigbie
brian roberts
jack cust
tim laker
josias manzanillo
todd hundley
mark carreon
hal morries
matt franco
rondell white
roger clemens
andy pettite
chuck knoblauch
jason grimsley
gregg zaun
david justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd williams
phil hiatt
Todd pratt
kevin young
mike lansing
cody mckay
kent mercker
adam piatt
miguel tejada
jason christiansen
MIKE STANTON
stephen randolph
Jerry Hairston Jr
Paul Lo duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Feranando Vina
KEVIN BROWN
Eric Gagne
Mike bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett jr
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Howie Clark
Exavier "Nook" Logan
Daniel Naulty
Rick Ankiel
David Bell
Paul Byrd
Jose Canseco
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jose guillen
Darren holmes
gary Matthews jr
John Rocker
Scott Schoenweiss
ismael valdez
matt williams
scott woodward

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Someone should give some of those to Jagr.

Just kidding.

How can they have children at these games with all this crap going on? Something needs to change - MLB should be cancelled and replaced with drunken wiffle ball.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 03:38 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Doesn't look bad for Yanks. Only Pettite and Clemens (who I doubt is coming back) is caught.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote